Picon

Slackware on EEE

After the unfortunate demise of my Thinkpad, I am working on a EEE with
an SSD.
I was thinking of installing the upcoming Slackware version on it. I
usually install from USB - is there something I should be aware of when
installing to an SSD? I have never done that before.

All the best,
Morten
__
Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer
http://syntaktisk.dk * mjjzf <at> syntaktisk.dk

Gil Andre | 19 Sep 21:36 2012
Picon

Re: Slackware on EEE

Hi Morten,

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 00:21:13 +0200 Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer <mjjzf <at> syntaktisk.dk> wrote:
> After the unfortunate demise of my Thinkpad, I am working on a EEE with
> an SSD.
> I was thinking of installing the upcoming Slackware version on it. I
> usually install from USB - is there something I should be aware of when
> installing to an SSD? I have never done that before.

I have an Asus eeePC-701 (the 4GB model!) happily running Slackware
13.37 here.

I have wanted to document this installation for years now, but
never got the time.

The only thing to remember is to use a non-journaling file
system (ext2fs is your best bet here), to use the 'noatime'
option to reduce disk write and, finally, not to create a
swap partition (same principle: reduce disk write).

The best information about installing to an SSD, I have found
at code koala here:

http://www.codekoala.com/blog/2008/installing-slackware-122-your-eeepc-701-4g-my-case/

All in all, I am very happy with the performance of my little
Slackware machine - since Slackware is flexible and light-weight,
I was able to install the latest version into less than 3GB.

(Continue reading)

Ottavio Caruso | 19 Sep 21:39 2012
Picon

Re: Slackware on EEE

On 19 September 2012 20:36, Gil Andre <andre.g <at> wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I have an Asus eeePC-701 (the 4GB model!) happily running Slackware
> 13.37 here.

How do you cope with only 512 Mb RAM? Firefox uses almost 400 Mb of
memory of my ancient desktop.

I couldn't even think of running any desktop heavier than Fluxbox!
Gil Andre | 19 Sep 22:07 2012
Picon

Re: Slackware on EEE

Hi Ottavio,

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 20:39:39 +0100 Ottavio Caruso <pr0f3ss0r1492 <at> yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 19 September 2012 20:36, Gil Andre <andre.g <at> wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > I have an Asus eeePC-701 (the 4GB model!) happily running Slackware
> > 13.37 here.
>
> How do you cope with only 512 Mb RAM? Firefox uses almost 400 Mb of
> memory of my ancient desktop.
>
> I couldn't even think of running any desktop heavier than Fluxbox!

Well, yes, but I don't use Firefox on this machine: I installed
Opera, and yes, it runs under Fluxbox (which is the only "desktop"
worth using IMHO). Opera has a mail and chat client integrated,
and it runs well on a small configuration (much "lighter" than
Firefox anyway).

Also, I did not install KDE, which made the basic install much,
much smaller.

For my day-to-day work I don't need much more than that, and the
console applications delivered with Slackware are more than enough
to provide plenty of functions that I may need.

Gil ANDRE				   gil [at] panix [dot] com
				andre [dot] g [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

x y | 19 Sep 22:10 2012
Picon

Re: Slackware on EEE

On 09/19/2012 12:36 PM, Gil Andre wrote:
> Hi Morten,
>
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 00:21:13 +0200 Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejer <mjjzf <at> syntaktisk.dk> wrote:
>> After the unfortunate demise of my Thinkpad, I am working on a EEE with
>> an SSD.
>> I was thinking of installing the upcoming Slackware version on it. I
>> usually install from USB - is there something I should be aware of when
>> installing to an SSD? I have never done that before.
> I have an Asus eeePC-701 (the 4GB model!) happily running Slackware
> 13.37 here.
>
> I have wanted to document this installation for years now, but
> never got the time.
>
> The only thing to remember is to use a non-journaling file
> system (ext2fs is your best bet here), to use the 'noatime'
> option to reduce disk write and, finally, not to create a
> swap partition (same principle: reduce disk write).
>
> The best information about installing to an SSD, I have found
> at code koala here:
>
> http://www.codekoala.com/blog/2008/installing-slackware-122-your-eeepc-701-4g-my-case/
>
> All in all, I am very happy with the performance of my little
> Slackware machine - since Slackware is flexible and light-weight,
> I was able to install the latest version into less than 3GB.
>
> Of course, all that you will find at the web site above does
(Continue reading)

Gil Andre | 19 Sep 22:40 2012
Picon

Re: Slackware on EEE

Hi xy,

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:10:39 -0700 x y <x77 <at> shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 09/19/2012 12:36 PM, Gil Andre wrote:
> > I have wanted to document this installation for years now, but
> > never got the time.
> >
> > The only thing to remember is to use a non-journaling file
> > system (ext2fs is your best bet here), to use the 'noatime'
> > option to reduce disk write and, finally, not to create a
> > swap partition (same principle: reduce disk write).
> >
> > The best information about installing to an SSD, I have found
> > at code koala here:
> >
> > http://www.codekoala.com/blog/2008/installing-slackware-122-your-eeepc-701-4g-my-case/
> This looks like a candidate for the slackdocs project, perhaps a laptop
> how-to? I just got given a HP zv5000, it's my first lappy, and I've
> never worked on one before. I always sent them to the competition, with
> me being too busy with workstations and firewalls.
>
> Anyway, I'll be following your guide closely, thanks.

Oh boy... Don't expect a delivery date anytime soon, OK?  ;-)

On the other hand, I may have a bit of time for this, so...
And I have to add a few things here and there on SlackDocs...

(Continue reading)

x y | 1 Oct 03:55 2012
Picon

Re: Slackware on EEE