Apper in openSUSE 12.1?

Hi everyone, I just finished reading this blog post:
http://dantti.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/apper-released/ and I was
wondering if it will be included in openSUSE 12.1. I remember that
somebody asked this already but I cannot find the mail anywhere in the
mailing list. If anybody can give a reply or point me to a previous
reply I'll be grateful.
Cheers, Ricardo.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Will Stephenson | 11 Oct 09:40 2011

On Monday 10 Oct 2011 19:02:27 José Ricardo De León Solís wrote:
> Hi everyone, I just finished reading this blog post:
> http://dantti.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/apper-released/ and I was
> wondering if it will be included in openSUSE 12.1. I remember that
> somebody asked this already but I cannot find the mail anywhere in the
> mailing list. If anybody can give a reply or point me to a previous
> reply I'll be grateful.

Ismail was in contact with Daniele about Apper and gave him a load of feedback
about things that needed fixed for it to replace KPackageKit for us.  Let's
get his take on it.  In the meantime we can package Apper 1.0 and look at it.

The other mail you refer to was on 21 September from Jean Cayro.

Will

Will Stephenson, openSUSE Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

todd rme | 11 Oct 11:05 2011

Re: Apper in openSUSE 12.1?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson <at> suse.de> wrote:
> On Monday 10 Oct 2011 19:02:27 José Ricardo De León Solís wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I just finished reading this blog post:
>> http://dantti.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/apper-released/ and I was
>> wondering if it will be included in openSUSE 12.1. I remember that
>> somebody asked this already but I cannot find the mail anywhere in the
>> mailing list. If anybody can give a reply or point me to a previous
>> reply I'll be grateful.
> Ismail was in contact with Daniele about Apper and gave him a load of feedback
> about things that needed fixed for it to replace KPackageKit for us.  Let's
> get his take on it.  In the meantime we can package Apper 1.0 and look at it.
> The other mail you refer to was on 21 September from Jean Cayro.
> Will

"Replace KPackageKit" and "included in openSUSE 12.1" are not
necessarily the same thing ;)

-Todd

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Roger Luedecke | 11 Oct 15:17 2011

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 02:05:50 AM todd rme wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson <at> suse.de>
wrote:
> > On Monday 10 Oct 2011 19:02:27 José Ricardo De León Solís wrote:
> >> Hi everyone, I just finished reading this blog post:
> >> http://dantti.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/apper-released/ and I was
> >> wondering if it will be included in openSUSE 12.1. I remember that
> >> somebody asked this already but I cannot find the mail anywhere in the
> >> mailing list. If anybody can give a reply or point me to a previous
> >> reply I'll be grateful.
> > Ismail was in contact with Daniele about Apper and gave him a load of
> > feedback about things that needed fixed for it to replace KPackageKit
> > for us.  Let's get his take on it.  In the meantime we can package Apper
> > 1.0 and look at it.
> > The other mail you refer to was on 21 September from Jean Cayro.
> > Will
> "Replace KPackageKit" and "included in openSUSE 12.1" are not
> necessarily the same thing ;)
> -Todd
They should be. KPackageKit is an embarrasment. I always have to give a
disclaimer on it when recommending openSUSE to a client.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Will Stephenson | 11 Oct 16:37 2011

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 06:17:13 Roger Luedecke wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 02:05:50 AM todd rme wrote:
> > "Replace KPackageKit" and "included in openSUSE 12.1" are not
> > necessarily the same thing ;)
> > -Todd
> They should be. KPackageKit is an embarrasment. I always have to give a
> disclaimer on it when recommending openSUSE to a client.

Can you nicely summarize your problems with it? Apper is a rename and update
of KPackageKit so it likely shares some of them.

Will

Will Stephenson, openSUSE Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer,
HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Martin Schlander | 11 Oct 17:05 2011

Tirsdag den 11. oktober 2011 16:37:20 skrev Will Stephenson:
> On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 06:17:13 Roger Luedecke wrote:
> > On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 02:05:50 AM todd rme wrote:
> > > "Replace KPackageKit" and "included in openSUSE 12.1" are not
> > > necessarily the same thing ;)
> > >
> > > -Todd
> > They should be. KPackageKit is an embarrasment. I always have to give a
> > disclaimer on it when recommending openSUSE to a client.
> Can you nicely summarize your problems with it? Apper is a rename and
> update of KPackageKit so it likely shares some of them.

On 11.4 users reported all kinds of problems with it.
* Failure to install local rpms (when clicking them in Dolphin, error related
to tmp files or plaindir repo, can't quite remember)
* Reporting patches, saying it installed them, then 10 minutes later it would
notify about the exact same patches again and fail to install them once again
and so forth.
* It would crash, and therefore check for updates every 5-10 minutes, instead
of once per day as configured.
* Taking ~15 minutes to build a cache or something

Actually it would be easier to list the things that _did_ work smoothly with
KPK on 11.4, than the ones which didn't (of course it's totally unclear to me
if the failures should be blamed on KPK, PK or PK-zypp or d-bus.. or any of
the other layers upon layers involved in the stack).

However in my testing of KPK on 12.1beta it seemed to be able to install both

Raymond Wooninck | 11 Oct 12:25 2011

On Tuesday 11 October 2011 09:40:10 Will Stephenson wrote:
> Ismail was in contact with Daniele about Apper and gave him a load of
> feedback about things that needed fixed for it to replace KPackageKit for
> us.  Let's get his take on it.  In the meantime we can package Apper 1.0
> and look at it.

Hi Will,

At this moment I have packaged Apper 0.7.0 (unfortunately Daniele continued
the version numbering of kpackagekit) and placed it in KDE:Distro:Factory. The
package is without any obsoletes/conflicts for kpackagekit, but just contains
a conflict there. I thought that this would be the best way to prevent that
apper is installed automatically. Also due to it's dependency on PackageKit >=
0.6.17, it only builds for 12.1/Factory.  The package should be available in
the next hour and I would appreciate feedback on missing translations and
other issues people are experiencing.

Regards

Raymond

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Graham Anderson | 11 Oct 13:34 2011

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 12:25:42 Raymond Wooninck wrote:
> The package should be available in
> the next hour and I would appreciate feedback on missing translations and
> other issues people are experiencing.

For me Apper 0.7.0 from KDF is usable but annoying,

System Settings -> Software Management -> Updates

Now I am prompted for a root login with:

"Authentication is required to set the network proxy used for downloading
packages"

This does not repsect my KDE network proxy settings which are: "Connect to the
Internet directly"

I shouldn't be seeing this request at all. So I cancel this root auth request,
and now packagekitd seems to hang in some loop while slowly consuming RAM
until it's killed.

Additionally, If I ignore the request, the request dialogue will eventually
dissapear.

If I continue in the update workflow by entering my root auth in the proxy
settings request, the list of updates are shown. I can then select the updates
I want and an entering another root auth to install them the installation
procceeds successfully.

If I perform an update workflow using the Apper systray icon, I experience the

todd rme | 11 Oct 13:37 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Graham Anderson
<graham.anderson <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 12:25:42 Raymond Wooninck wrote:
>> The package should be available in
>> the next hour and I would appreciate feedback on missing translations and
>> other issues people are experiencing.
> For me Apper 0.7.0 from KDF is usable but annoying,
> System Settings -> Software Management -> Updates
> Now I am prompted for a root login with:
> "Authentication is required to set the network proxy used for downloading
> packages"
> This does not repsect my KDE network proxy settings which are: "Connect to the
> Internet directly"
> I shouldn't be seeing this request at all. So I cancel this root auth request,
> and now packagekitd seems to hang in some loop while slowly consuming RAM
> until it's killed.
> Additionally, If I ignore the request, the request dialogue will eventually
> dissapear.
> If I continue in the update workflow by entering my root auth in the proxy
> settings request, the list of updates are shown. I can then select the updates
> I want and an entering another root auth to install them the installation
> procceeds successfully.

Graham Anderson | 11 Oct 13:55 2011

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 13:37:58 todd rme wrote:
> Are you using 11.4?  The proxy authentication issue is a problem with
> policykit rather than apper.  Policykit should not ask for a password
> for this, but it does (at least for 11.4, I haven't seen the issue in
> 12.1).

No I'm on 12.1 Beta 1 or so...

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Will Stephenson | 11 Oct 21:18 2011

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 13:34:59 Graham Anderson wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 12:25:42 Raymond Wooninck wrote:
> > The package should be available in
> > the next hour and I would appreciate feedback on missing translations
> > and
> > other issues people are experiencing.
> For me Apper 0.7.0 from KDF is usable but annoying,
> System Settings -> Software Management -> Updates
> Now I am prompted for a root login with:
> "Authentication is required to set the network proxy used for downloading
> packages"
> This does not repsect my KDE network proxy settings which are: "Connect to
> the Internet directly"
> I shouldn't be seeing this request at all. So I cancel this root auth
> request, and now packagekitd seems to hang in some loop while slowly
> consuming RAM until it's killed.
> Additionally, If I ignore the request, the request dialogue will eventually
> dissapear.

I think this request is coming directly from packagekitd, not Apper, so it
can't directly respect your user policy settings.  Still a bug though.  It
would be interesting to find out if we can collapse all PK's policy requests
into one.

Graham Anderson | 29 Oct 20:58 2011

On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011 21:18:25 Will Stephenson wrote:
> There's a button in the crash dialog to install symbols, please get a full
> trace for us!

I can't reproduce this crash.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Jean Cayron | 11 Oct 15:53 2011

Hye José,

I did ask it in September, this is the thread:

It seems that it was the plan to include it.

Regards,

Jean

2011/10/11 José Ricardo De León Solís <jricardo.de.leon.s <at> gmail.com>
> Hi everyone, I just finished reading this blog post:
> http://dantti.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/apper-released/ and I was
> wondering if it will be included in openSUSE 12.1. I remember that
> somebody asked this already but I cannot find the mail anywhere in the
> mailing list. If anybody can give a reply or point me to a previous
> reply I'll be grateful.
> Cheers, Ricardo.
> --

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe <at> opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner <at> opensuse.org

Re: Apper in openSUSE 12.1?

Good to hear there are plans to include it and apparently testing is
required. Will test apper in beta 1.

2011/10/11 Jean Cayron <jean.cayron <at> gmail.com>:
> Hye José,
> I did ask it in September, this is the thread:
> http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-translation/2011-09/msg00005.html
> It seems that it was the plan to include it.
> Regards,
> Jean
> 2011/10/11 José Ricardo De León Solís <jricardo.de.leon.s <at> gmail.com>
>> Hi everyone, I just finished reading this blog post:
>> http://dantti.wordpress.com/2011/10/10/apper-released/ and I was
>> wondering if it will be included in openSUSE 12.1. I remember that
>> somebody asked this already but I cannot find the mail anywhere in the
>> mailing list. If anybody can give a reply or point me to a previous
>> reply I'll be grateful.
>> Cheers, Ricardo.