Rick | 10 Jul 05:40 2008

24 hour clock in Evolution

It has been recommended that I use a pure Ubuntu program instead of one
of those "third party" thingies, so here I am asking about Evolution. In
Calendar, the 24 hour day is displayed, but in Mail, I see AM and PM. I
have searched the sources, but have found nowhere to change the mail
listings to the 24 hour clock. I will greatly appreciate your assistance
in solving this problem.

By the way, in Nautilus the dates are shown day - month - year, whereas
in Evolution they display as month - day - hour (AM/PM). This will
certainly be rectified when I learn how to make the change in Evolution.

Thanks,

Rick

Currently running Ubuntu 8.04. First Linux was Suse 4.2 in 1996. Tried
out a distro every year since then, waiting for required performance.
Ubuntu 8.04 is the longest trial ever, though it still lacks certain
functionality.

Gilles Gravier | 10 Jul 06:46 2008

Rick,

Rick wrote:
> It has been recommended that I use a pure Ubuntu program instead of one
> of those "third party" thingies, so here I am asking about Evolution. In
> Calendar, the 24 hour day is displayed, but in Mail, I see AM and PM. I
> have searched the sources, but have found nowhere to change the mail
> listings to the 24 hour clock. I will greatly appreciate your assistance
> in solving this problem.
> By the way, in Nautilus the dates are shown day - month - year, whereas
> in Evolution they display as month - day - hour (AM/PM). This will
> certainly be rectified when I learn how to make the change in Evolution.
Of course you realize that there is no such thing as a pure Ubuntu
program. Ubuntu is a distribution... not a software vendor...

Canonical (which is the company behing Ubuntu) builds a distribution.
They pack a bunch of applications into a distribution.

Evolution is such an application. It is the default mail/calendar
application for the GNOME environment (which Ubuntu runs - it's another
story if you run KUBUNTU which is KDE based).

What happens is that Sunbird/Lightning are third party applications
(like Evolution) but are not BUNDLED WITH Ubuntu... rather, you have to
get them elsewhere. The problem you are experiencing is a localization
bug of Sunbird/Lightning. My recommendation is to go the the project's
page : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ and submit... but in
your particular case, but 399851 (

Rick | 11 Jul 09:43 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 06:46 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Rick,
> Rick wrote:
> > It has been recommended that I use a pure Ubuntu program instead of one
> > of those "third party" thingies, so here I am asking about Evolution. In
> > Calendar, the 24 hour day is displayed, but in Mail, I see AM and PM. I
> > have searched the sources, but have found nowhere to change the mail
> > listings to the 24 hour clock. I will greatly appreciate your assistance
> > in solving this problem.
> > By the way, in Nautilus the dates are shown day - month - year, whereas
> > in Evolution they display as month - day - hour (AM/PM). This will
> > certainly be rectified when I learn how to make the change in Evolution.
> Of course you realize that there is no such thing as a pure Ubuntu
> program. Ubuntu is a distribution... not a software vendor...

Yes, of course I realize that, but thanks for the reminder.
snip

> What happens is that Sunbird/Lightning are third party applications
> (like Evolution) but are not BUNDLED WITH Ubuntu... rather, you have to
> get them elsewhere. The problem you are experiencing is a localization
> bug of Sunbird/Lightning. My recommendation is to go the the project's
> page : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ and submit... but in
> your particular case, but 399851 (
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399851 ) has already been
> submotted to that effect.

Johnny Rosenberg | 16 Jul 18:13 2008

2008/7/11 Rick <rufus <at> hanadari.net>:
I also am running an English installation, with my location set to
Jerusalem. In Israel we use 24 hour time. But what are these GNOME time
settings? In System / Administration / Time and Date there is nowhere to
adjust 12/24. Please help me to find the GNOME settings.

I am not sure but maybe someone answered this one already, but I usually right click the clock at the upper right corner, then Preferences. Then I see the 12/24 h option right in front of me…

Johnny Rosenberg

<div><div dir="ltr">2008/7/11 Rick &lt;<a href="mailto:rufus <at> hanadari.net">rufus <at> hanadari.net</a>&gt;:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote">
<div class="Ih2E3d">
I also am running an English installation, with my location set to<br>
</div>
Jerusalem. In Israel we use 24 hour time. But what are these GNOME time<br>
settings? In System / Administration / Time and Date there is nowhere to<br>
adjust 12/24. Please help me to find the GNOME settings.<br><div class="Ih2E3d">
<br><br>
</div>
</blockquote>
<p>I am not sure but maybe someone answered this one already, but I usually right click the clock at the upper right corner, then Preferences. Then I see the 12/24 h option right in front of me&hellip;<br></p>
<p>&#9786;</p>
<p>Johnny Rosenberg</p>
</div></div>
NoOp | 12 Jul 01:05 2008

On 07/09/2008 09:46 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:

> What happens is that Sunbird/Lightning are third party applications
> (like Evolution) but are not BUNDLED WITH Ubuntu... rather, you have to
> get them elsewhere. The problem you are experiencing is a localization
> bug of Sunbird/Lightning. My recommendation is to go the the project's
> page : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ and submit... but in
> your particular case, but 399851 (
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399851 ) has already been
> submotted to that effect.
> Note that Sunbird/Lightning is still version 0.8 ... so they are working
> on critical features... localization seems to be less priority, but I
> believe that once the product is finished, the quality will be same
> level as the rest of Mozilla Foundation's software.

Here is how to change the date/time properties in Thunderbird. Given
that Lighting is intended to be compatible with Thunderbird perhaps they
will also apply to a TB/Lightning combo as well. Don't know as I use
SeaMonkey and only bring up TB for testing & have never used Lightning.

NoOp | 12 Jul 02:18 2008

On 07/11/2008 04:05 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/09/2008 09:46 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> What happens is that Sunbird/Lightning are third party applications
>> (like Evolution) but are not BUNDLED WITH Ubuntu... rather, you have to
>> get them elsewhere. The problem you are experiencing is a localization
>> bug of Sunbird/Lightning. My recommendation is to go the the project's
>> page : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ and submit... but in
>> your particular case, but 399851 (
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399851 ) has already been
>> submotted to that effect.
>> Note that Sunbird/Lightning is still version 0.8 ... so they are working
>> on critical features... localization seems to be less priority, but I
>> believe that once the product is finished, the quality will be same
>> level as the rest of Mozilla Foundation's software.
> Here is how to change the date/time properties in Thunderbird. Given
> that Lighting is intended to be compatible with Thunderbird perhaps they
> will also apply to a TB/Lightning combo as well. Don't know as I use
> SeaMonkey and only bring up TB for testing & have never used Lightning.

My apologies; here is the link:

Rick | 13 Jul 08:21 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 17:18 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/11/2008 04:05 PM, NoOp wrote:
> > On 07/09/2008 09:46 PM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> >> What happens is that Sunbird/Lightning are third party applications
> >> (like Evolution) but are not BUNDLED WITH Ubuntu...
> My apologies; here is the link:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Change_the_Date_Format

I checked in at the Mozillazine link you suggested. Lots of information
about changing time/date strings. I'll wait on your feedback about all
that en_US business in locale before I make any system changes on my
own. In the meantime I installed the configdate extension for TB
(mentioned in the article), but it did not change anything, even after
rebooting the computer. Since TB also does not move identified spam to
the spam folder, I suspect something is awry. TB in Windows works just
fine.

Whether as a result or just concomitantly, I can not seem to get my
keyboard choices anymore, after that DK string I ran. The GBr keyboard
still works, but the FR is gibberish and the rest have disappeared. I've
completely redone the keyboard choices and rebooted, but no joy!

My wife and I used Netscape for quite a while in Windows, so I followed
the development of SeaMonkey with interest. The last time I looked, it
was still missing certain features I preferred. Does it still require
special settings for multiple link openings? Do you use the full suite?
Can one use the Mozilla extensions for FF/TB in SM?

Rick

NoOp | 12 Jul 00:47 2008

On 07/09/2008 08:40 PM, Rick wrote:
> It has been recommended that I use a pure Ubuntu program instead of one
> of those "third party" thingies, so here I am asking about Evolution. In
> Calendar, the 24 hour day is displayed, but in Mail, I see AM and PM. I
> have searched the sources, but have found nowhere to change the mail
> listings to the 24 hour clock. I will greatly appreciate your assistance
> in solving this problem.
> By the way, in Nautilus the dates are shown day - month - year, whereas
> in Evolution they display as month - day - hour (AM/PM). This will
> certainly be rectified when I learn how to make the change in Evolution.
> Thanks,
> Rick

There are several "won't fix' bugs filed regarding this that I'll not
attempt to bother you with just yet. Please (from a terminal) do the

1. Cut&Paste&Post the output of the following command and post back here:

locale

2. Enter the following. It will bring up Evolution - please verify that
your email times show 24 hour vs am/pm and that the local clock on your
panel display remains at its current setting:

LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution

If that works, then we can try to set it on a more permanent basis.

Rick | 13 Jul 06:28 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:47 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/09/2008 08:40 PM, Rick wrote:
> > It has been recommended that I use a pure Ubuntu program instead of one
> > of those "third party" thingies, so here I am asking about Evolution. In
> > Calendar, the 24 hour day is displayed, but in Mail, I see AM and PM. I
> > have searched the sources, but have found nowhere to change the mail
> > listings to the 24 hour clock. I will greatly appreciate your assistance
> > in solving this problem.
> > By the way, in Nautilus the dates are shown day - month - year, whereas
> > in Evolution they display as month - day - hour (AM/PM). This will
> > certainly be rectified when I learn how to make the change in Evolution.
> > Thanks,
> > Rick
> There are several "won't fix' bugs filed regarding this that I'll not
> attempt to bother you with just yet. Please (from a terminal) do the
> 1. Cut&Paste&Post the output of the following command and post back here:

LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
rick <at> DeepThought:~$

Now, where did all that en_US come from? I set the locale at Jerusalem,
and the US keyboard is not now even among the keyboard indicator
options.

> 2. Enter the following. It will bring up Evolution - please verify that
> your email times show 24 hour vs am/pm and that the local clock on your
> panel display remains at its current setting:

The calendar is 24. The mail is am/pm. Of course Evolution is already
open, since I am reading your letter. I saved you letter in draft when I
closed all iterations of Evolution after running the line below, but I
seem unable to take up the writing below your quoted statement, so I'll
write here. Upon reopening Evolution, the calendar remains at 24 and the
mail at am/pm. No change is evident.

Thanks for the effort.

Rick

> LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> If that works, then we can try to set it on a more permanent basis.
> I saved your letter in draft,

NoOp | 13 Jul 08:21 2008

On 07/12/2008 09:28 PM, Rick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:47 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> There are several "won't fix' bugs filed regarding this that I'll not
>> attempt to bother you with just yet. Please (from a terminal) do the
>> 1. Cut&Paste&Post the output of the following command and post back here:
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
> rick <at> DeepThought:~$
> Now, where did all that en_US come from? I set the locale at Jerusalem,
> and the US keyboard is not now even among the keyboard indicator
> options.
>> 2. Enter the following. It will bring up Evolution - please verify that
>> your email times show 24 hour vs am/pm and that the local clock on your
>> panel display remains at its current setting:
> The calendar is 24. The mail is am/pm. Of course Evolution is already
> open, since I am reading your letter. I saved you letter in draft when I
> closed all iterations of Evolution after running the line below, but I
> seem unable to take up the writing below your quoted statement, so I'll
> write here. Upon reopening Evolution, the calendar remains at 24 and the
> mail at am/pm. No change is evident.

Interesting... I've tried the same on both Gutsy (Evo 2.12.1) and Hardy
(Evo 2.22.2) and entering:

LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution

from a terminal brings up everything in Evo in 24 hour format -
calendar, emails, email list. My locale's are also set to:

S$ locale
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?

Rick | 13 Jul 09:51 2008

> > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> > LC_ALL=
> > rick <at> DeepThought:~$
> > Now, where did all that en_US come from? I set the locale at Jerusalem,
> > and the US keyboard is not now even among the keyboard indicator
> > options.
> >> 2. Enter the following. It will bring up Evolution - please verify that
> >> your email times show 24 hour vs am/pm and that the local clock on your
> >> panel display remains at its current setting:
> > The calendar is 24. The mail is am/pm. Of course Evolution is already
> > open, since I am reading your letter. I saved you letter in draft when I
> > closed all iterations of Evolution after running the line below, but I
> > seem unable to take up the writing below your quoted statement, so I'll
> > write here. Upon reopening Evolution, the calendar remains at 24 and the
> > mail at am/pm. No change is evident.
> Interesting... I've tried the same on both Gutsy (Evo 2.12.1) and Hardy
> (Evo 2.22.2) and entering:
> LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> from a terminal brings up everything in Evo in 24 hour format -
> calendar, emails, email list. My locale's are also set to:
> S$ locale
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
> so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
> close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
> have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
> time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?
Evolution was open and I called up a second iteration, which did not
work. I should have expected that, but pasting does not work when the
source is closed. Now I have pasted the code into a text editor and then
copied and pasted it from there to the Terminal. For some reason, E just
closed. With E closed the code ran as you expected, and I had 24 until E
crashed, then am/pm reappeared. Now I'm back to 24 after replaying the
code, and recovery. Let's see how long this will last.

Thanks, Rick

NoOp | 14 Jul 03:16 2008

On 07/13/2008 12:51 AM, Rick wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 23:21 -0700, NoOp wrote:

>> so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
>> close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
>> command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
>> have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
>> time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?
> Evolution was open and I called up a second iteration, which did not
> work. I should have expected that, but pasting does not work when the
> source is closed. Now I have pasted the code into a text editor and then
> copied and pasted it from there to the Terminal. For some reason, E just
> closed. With E closed the code ran as you expected, and I had 24 until E
> crashed, then am/pm reappeared. Now I'm back to 24 after replaying the
> code, and recovery. Let's see how long this will last.
> Thanks, Rick

OK. That shows that setting the LC_TIME to a DK setting will change Evo
to display everything in 24 hr settings including the email notices. So
that's a good thing. Now I just have to do a little more research on how
to get it set to a permanent setting without screwing up all of your
extra language settings. Note: that setting should not/would not have
changed your french keyboard setting that I know of. My guess is that
perhaps the Thunderbird setting may have. Perhaps you can reverse
whatever you did in TB and that will resolve that problem.

LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
simply tells your system to run evolution using that LC setting while it
is running. As you saw, when Evolution quit (or crashed -- it should not
have), the am/pm settings returned as it then returned to
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" when the application quit.

As for time being Jeruselem time; that setting should remain the same,
and did according to your test. LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
would not have changed your system setings. Also, I know of no LC_
locale settings for Israel/Jeruselem (maybe Dotan from this list can
help there).

I'm currently doing 8.04.1 upgrades tonight for others, so it may take
me some time to research the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 etc permanent
settings... perhaps others on the list can assist in the interim? Either
way I will get back to you on this.

Rick | 14 Jul 06:32 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 18:16 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/13/2008 12:51 AM, Rick wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 23:21 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> >> so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
> >> close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> >> command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
> >> have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
> >> time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?
> > Evolution was open and I called up a second iteration, which did not
> > work. I should have expected that, but pasting does not work when the
> > source is closed. Now I have pasted the code into a text editor and then
> > copied and pasted it from there to the Terminal. For some reason, E just
> > closed. With E closed the code ran as you expected, and I had 24 until E
> > crashed, then am/pm reappeared. Now I'm back to 24 after replaying the
> > code, and recovery. Let's see how long this will last.
> > Thanks, Rick
> OK. That shows that setting the LC_TIME to a DK setting will change Evo
> to display everything in 24 hr settings including the email notices. So
> that's a good thing. Now I just have to do a little more research on how
> to get it set to a permanent setting without screwing up all of your
> extra language settings. Note: that setting should not/would not have
> changed your french keyboard setting that I know of. My guess is that
> perhaps the Thunderbird setting may have. Perhaps you can reverse
> whatever you did in TB and that will resolve that problem.
> LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> simply tells your system to run evolution using that LC setting while it
> is running. As you saw, when Evolution quit (or crashed -- it should not
> have), the am/pm settings returned as it then returned to
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" when the application quit.
> As for time being Jeruselem time; that setting should remain the same,
> and did according to your test. LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> would not have changed your system setings. Also, I know of no LC_
> locale settings for Israel/Jeruselem (maybe Dotan from this list can
> help there).
> I'm currently doing 8.04.1 upgrades tonight for others, so it may take
> me some time to research the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 etc permanent
> settings... perhaps others on the list can assist in the interim? Either
> way I will get back to you on this.
Believe me. I very much appreciate your assistance. I corrected the
keyboard glitch and all was well with four keyboards and even the
key-stroke shortcut, but when I restarted this morning, it was back to
being broken. It may very well be that my computer itself is screwed
up ... or bewitched ;-).

I really do have lots of projects going that have had to be on hold
because of the OS problems or limitations. Perhaps I'll install Kubuntu
(replacement, not the chaos I created before) and give that a run. At
any rate, it seems that I cannot get Ubuntu to behave nicely this time
around. Perhaps 9.04 will finally do the trick.

Most sincerely and thanks to all (I began to type ... for all the fish!)

Rick

sktsee | 14 Jul 21:39 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 18:16 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 07/13/2008 12:51 AM, Rick wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 23:21 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> >> so I'm surprised that it does not set your's to 24 hours also. Did you
> >> close Evolution before the LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> >> command? If you did it while Evolution was open then the command will
> >> have no effect; the command is meant to _start_ evolution with those
> >> time settings. Can you please try again with Evo closed?
> > Evolution was open and I called up a second iteration, which did not
> > work. I should have expected that, but pasting does not work when the
> > source is closed. Now I have pasted the code into a text editor and then
> > copied and pasted it from there to the Terminal. For some reason, E just
> > closed. With E closed the code ran as you expected, and I had 24 until E
> > crashed, then am/pm reappeared. Now I'm back to 24 after replaying the
> > code, and recovery. Let's see how long this will last.
> > Thanks, Rick
> OK. That shows that setting the LC_TIME to a DK setting will change Evo
> to display everything in 24 hr settings including the email notices. So
> that's a good thing. Now I just have to do a little more research on how
> to get it set to a permanent setting without screwing up all of your
> extra language settings. Note: that setting should not/would not have
> changed your french keyboard setting that I know of. My guess is that
> perhaps the Thunderbird setting may have. Perhaps you can reverse
> whatever you did in TB and that will resolve that problem.

OK, I'm hesitant to post the following solution given the apparent
fragility of the OP's system, but it might benefit some users whose
systems are more robust and aren't prone to breaking just by setting one
environment variable ;)

"sudo update-locale LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8" will globally set the LC_TIME
environment variable for the system and not affect other LC_ environment
variables. If the command is successful, /etc/default/locale should
contain the following lines assuming the locale settings weren't
previously altered:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8

User needs to logout after issuing the command, so that the shell picks
up the change when user logs back in. (Variable isn't automatically
exported). Use the locale command to confirm change after logout/login

$locale

of m/d/y. OP had that format set in Nautilus, so I figured it is his
preferred date format.

> LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> simply tells your system to run evolution using that LC setting while it
> is running. As you saw, when Evolution quit (or crashed -- it should not
> have), the am/pm settings returned as it then returned to
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8" when the application quit.
> As for time being Jeruselem time; that setting should remain the same,
> and did according to your test. LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8 /usr/bin/evolution
> would not have changed your system setings. Also, I know of no LC_
> locale settings for Israel/Jeruselem (maybe Dotan from this list can
> help there).

he_IL.UTF-8 and he_IL.ISO-8859-8 are the localizations for
Hebrew/Israel.

sktsee

NoOp | 15 Jul 04:14 2008

On 07/14/2008 12:39 PM, sktsee wrote:

> OK, I'm hesitant to post the following solution given the apparent
> fragility of the OP's system, but it might benefit some users whose
> systems are more robust and aren't prone to breaking just by setting one
> environment variable ;)
> "sudo update-locale LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8" will globally set the LC_TIME
> environment variable for the system and not affect other LC_ environment
> variables. If the command is successful, /etc/default/locale should
> contain the following lines assuming the locale settings weren't
> previously altered:
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8
> User needs to logout after issuing the command, so that the shell picks
> up the change when user logs back in. (Variable isn't automatically
> exported). Use the locale command to confirm change after logout/login
> $locale
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=
> I chose en_ZA.UTF-8 instead of en_DK.UTF-8 because it differed from his
> default locale (en_US.UTF-8) only in the absence of an am/pm format
> (defaulting to 24h format) and the date format which was d/m/y instead
> of m/d/y. OP had that format set in Nautilus, so I figured it is his
> preferred date format.

I just tried this on my test laptop and 'locale' does not show it.
However 'cat /etc/default/locale' does.

I then loaded Evo using a backup from one of the other machines with a
working Evo, and the email message list still shows am/pm. So I
logout/login and 'locale' does indeed now show LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8 (note
current time is still working as US Pacific). Next try Evo, and lo and
behold the email message list is 24 hours w/Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008
17:40:24 -0700 for one that I picked off of the list.

Cools stuff! As always, thanks sktsee!!

Note to Rick: hang on a day or so & I'll leave this setting on the test
machine to see if it has any ill/odd effects on any other applications.
I doubt that it will, but given your system keyboard/language issues
etc., it's probably better if you let me check it out first... unless of
course you're willing to give it a try before then.

Thanks again sktsee.

Gary

NoOp | 15 Jul 22:29 2008

On 07/14/2008 07:14 PM, NoOp wrote:

> Cools stuff! As always, thanks sktsee!!
> Note to Rick: hang on a day or so & I'll leave this setting on the test
> machine to see if it has any ill/odd effects on any other applications.
> I doubt that it will, but given your system keyboard/language issues
> etc., it's probably better if you let me check it out first... unless of
> course you're willing to give it a try before then.
> Thanks again sktsee.

OK. I've been running the LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8 on my system and so far no
problems at all with the applications I've tested.

Evolution: shows 24 hour in email list and calendar + dd/mm/yyyy
SeaMonkey: shows 24 hour and dd/mm/yyyy
Thunderbird: same as SeaMonkey
Sunbird (Mozilla): shows 24 hour and dd/mm/yyyy
Lightning (Mozilla): shows 24 hour and dd/mm/yyyy
OpenOffice (both OOo and Ubuntu): clock/date settings didn't change
StarOffice: clock/date settings didn't change
Clock 2.22.2: No change - this will continue to use whatever time you've
set it for.

Note: OOo and SO have their own settings in options that allow you to
change the locale by language, so it's not an issue here. Just thought
that I'd add those to the tested list so that you know what to expect.

So there you go Rick. Follow sktsee's instructions to set the LC_TIME to
LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8; from a terminal enter:

sudo update-locale LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8

Logout and then log back in and you should be good to go.

Added note: the settings will take effect for _all_ system users, so if
your wife also has an account on the system her date/time settings will
be the same.