Roger Leigh | 27 Nov 23:19 2011
Picon

Using /etc/fstab.d

Hi folks,

I noticed that support had recently been added for /etc/fstab.d.
In Debian, we're configuring with --enable-libmount-mount, but
I'm not seeing it being used; strace shows no opendir/stat calls
for it.  Is anything else necessary to enable it, or is it not
yet actually used by mount?

I've just created a file /etc/fstab.d/test.fstab, and then
tried "mount /foo", where /foo would be the entry in test.fstab,
but don't see anything happening.

Thanks,
Roger

  .''`.  Roger Leigh

Karel Zak | 28 Nov 10:14 2011
Picon

Re: Using /etc/fstab.d

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:19:56PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> I noticed that support had recently been added for /etc/fstab.d.
> In Debian, we're configuring with --enable-libmount-mount, but
> I'm not seeing it being used; strace shows no opendir/stat calls
> for it.  Is anything else necessary to enable it, or is it not
> yet actually used by mount?

 Do you really have the latest git tree (gil pull to refresh)?

> I've just created a file /etc/fstab.d/test.fstab, and then
> tried "mount /foo", where /foo would be the entry in test.fstab,
> but don't see anything happening.

 [git clone / git clean -xdf; cd util-linux]

 $ ./autogen.sh
 $ ./configure --enable-libmount-mount
 $ make -C mount/ mount

 # cat /etc/fstab.d/tests.fstab
 /home/fs-images/ext2.img /mnt/loop      auto    defaults,noauto

 # ./mount/mount /mnt/loop

 # findmnt /mnt/loop
 TARGET    SOURCE     FSTYPE OPTIONS
 /mnt/loop /dev/loop0 ext2   rw,relatime,errors=continue

 # findmnt --fstab /mnt/loop
 TARGET    SOURCE                   FSTYPE OPTIONS
(Continue reading)

Roger Leigh | 28 Nov 23:52 2011
Picon

Re: Using /etc/fstab.d

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:14:35AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:19:56PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > I noticed that support had recently been added for /etc/fstab.d.
> > In Debian, we're configuring with --enable-libmount-mount, but
> > I'm not seeing it being used; strace shows no opendir/stat calls
> > for it.  Is anything else necessary to enable it, or is it not
> > yet actually used by mount?
>
>  Do you really have the latest git tree (gil pull to refresh)?

I was testing the 2.20.1 release, which I saw had fstab.d
support implemented (at least partially) in libmount.  It does
indeed now work with current git.  Just saw that it was only
enabled last week in mount, looking at the history.  Will it
be long until this is in a release?

Thanks,
Roger

  .''`.  Roger Leigh

Karel Zak | 29 Nov 12:19 2011
Picon

Re: Using /etc/fstab.d

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:52:23PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:14:35AM +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 10:19:56PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > > I noticed that support had recently been added for /etc/fstab.d.
> > > In Debian, we're configuring with --enable-libmount-mount, but
> > > I'm not seeing it being used; strace shows no opendir/stat calls
> > > for it.  Is anything else necessary to enable it, or is it not
> > > yet actually used by mount?
> >
> >  Do you really have the latest git tree (gil pull to refresh)?
>
> I was testing the 2.20.1 release, which I saw had fstab.d

 ah.. :-)

> support implemented (at least partially) in libmount.  It does
> indeed now work with current git.  Just saw that it was only
> enabled last week in mount, looking at the history.  Will it
> be long until this is in a release?

 The feature going to be supported in the next release 2.21 (beta next
 month), I don't expect any changes in this area.

    Karel

 Karel Zak  <kzak@...>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com