Anton Vodonosov | 19 Jan 17:36 2011
Picon

Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

Hello.

I just installed the ecl 11.1.1 release (Windows installer from sourceforge).

When I load swank-loader.lisp (todays SLIME from CVS), I have the following error:

;;; Compiling C:/Users/anton/unpacked/lisp-libs/slime-current/slime-2011-01-19/swank-backend.lisp;;
;; Error while compiling C:/Users/anton/unpacked/lisp-libs/slime-current/slime-2011-01-19/swank-backend.lisp:
;;   Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably.
;; Aborting.
;;

Restart ABORT is not active.

Available restarts:

1. (RESTART-TOPLEVEL) Go back to Top-Level REPL.

Broken at SWANK-LOADER::HANDLE-SWANK-LOAD-ERROR. In: #<process TOP-LEVEL>.
 File:
#P"C:/Users/anton/unpacked/lisp-libs/slime-current/slime-2011-01-19/swank-loader.lisp"
(Position #5576)

Has anyone experienced this problem and know how to solve it?

Best regards,
- Anton

(Continue reading)

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll | 19 Jan 21:57 2011

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

Delete the ~/.slime directory. I tried rebuilding Slime today and it worked without problems.

Juanjo

[...]

Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
Anton Vodonosov | 20 Jan 12:21 2011
Picon

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

Hello.

Unfortunately deleting the ~/.slime directory doesn't help.

Correction, the error happens not when I load "swank-loader.lisp", but after that, when I call swan-loader:init.

Here is the backtrace:

Backtrace:
  > SWANK-LOADER::HANDLE-SWANK-LOAD-ERROR
  > swank-loader::compile-files
  > swank-loader::load-swank
  > swank-loader:init
  > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (swank-loader:init)]
  > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (load "start-swank.lisp")]
  > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (si:top-level)]

I also tried with elder version of slime - the same result.

- Anton

[...]

Stas Boukarev | 20 Jan 13:06 2011
Picon

Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov <at> yandex.ru> writes:

> Hello.
>
> Unfortunately deleting the ~/.slime directory doesn't help.
>
> Correction, the error happens not when I load "swank-loader.lisp", but after that, when I
> call swan-loader:init.
>
> Here is the backtrace:
>
> Backtrace:
>   > SWANK-LOADER::HANDLE-SWANK-LOAD-ERROR
>   > swank-loader::compile-files
>   > swank-loader::load-swank
>   > swank-loader:init
>   > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (swank-loader:init)]
>   > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (load "start-swank.lisp")]
>   > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (si:top-level)]
>
> I also tried with elder version of slime - the same result.
This error means that you have *print-readably* set to T, while slime
shouldn't fail in such circumstances, in the meantime, set it to NIL.

With Best Regards, Stas.

Anton Vodonosov | 20 Jan 23:17 2011
Picon

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

No, *print-readably* is NIL.

20.01.2011, 15:06, "Stas Boukarev" <stassats <at> gmail.com>:
> Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov <at> yandex.ru>; writes:
>
>>  Hello.
>>
>>  Unfortunately deleting the ~/.slime directory doesn't help.
>>
>>  Correction, the error happens not when I load "swank-loader.lisp", but after that, when I
>>  call swan-loader:init.
>>
>>  Here is the backtrace:
>>
>>  Backtrace:
>>    > SWANK-LOADER::HANDLE-SWANK-LOAD-ERROR
>>    > swank-loader::compile-files
>>    > swank-loader::load-swank
>>    > swank-loader:init
>>    > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (swank-loader:init)]
>>    > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (load "start-swank.lisp")]
>>    > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (si:top-level)]
>>
>>  I also tried with elder version of slime - the same result.
>
> This error means that you have *print-readably* set to T, while slime
> shouldn't fail in such circumstances, in the meantime, set it to NIL.
>
> --
> With Best Regards, Stas.

Anton Vodonosov | 20 Jan 23:26 2011
Picon

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

Actually, the error is reproduced simply by creating a file test.lisp:

(defpackage test)

Then start ECL and do

> (compile-file "test.lisp")

;;; Compiling test.lisp
Cannot print object #<TEST package> readably.

Available restarts:

1. (RESTART-TOPLEVEL) Go back to Top-Level REPL.

Broken at SI:BYTECODES. [Evaluation of: (COMPILE-FILE "test.lisp")] In: #<process TOP-LEVEL>.
>> :b

Backtrace:
  > SI:BYTECODES [Evaluation of: (COMPILE-FILE "test.lisp")]
  > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (si:top-level)]

Something is wrong with the ECL installation.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll | 20 Jan 23:33 2011

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

What settings do you have? I do not get those errors in any of my systems?

Juanjo

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:26 PM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov-o+MxOtu4lMCHXe+LvDLADg@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Actually, the error is reproduced simply by creating a file test.lisp:

(defpackage test)

Then start ECL and do

> (compile-file "test.lisp")

;;; Compiling test.lisp
Cannot print object #<TEST package> readably.

Available restarts:

1. (RESTART-TOPLEVEL) Go back to Top-Level REPL.

Broken at SI:BYTECODES. [Evaluation of: (COMPILE-FILE "test.lisp")] In: #<process TOP-LEVEL>.
>> :b

Backtrace:
 > SI:BYTECODES [Evaluation of: (COMPILE-FILE "test.lisp")]
 > si:bytecodes [Evaluation of: (si:top-level)]

Something is wrong with the ECL installation.

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
Stas Boukarev | 20 Jan 23:36 2011
Picon

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll@...> writes:

> What settings do you have? I do not get those errors in any of my systems?
I can reproduce after doing (require 'bytecmp)

With Best Regards, Stas.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Stas Boukarev | 20 Jan 23:37 2011
Picon

Stas Boukarev <stassats@...> writes:

> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll@...> writes:
>
>> What settings do you have? I do not get those errors in any of my systems?
> I can reproduce after doing (require 'bytecmp)
And its compile-file has WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX around WRITE, which
sets *print-readably* to T.

With Best Regards, Stas.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/arcsight-sfd2d
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll | 20 Jan 23:43 2011

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

Ok, then what is broken is not the ordinary compiler, but the bytecodes compiler which is switch on by default in Windows.

Juanjo

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Stas Boukarev <stassats <at> gmail.com> wrote:
Stas Boukarev <stassats-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> What settings do you have? I do not get those errors in any of my systems?
> I can reproduce after doing (require 'bytecmp)
And its compile-file has WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX around WRITE, which
sets *print-readably* to T.

--
With Best Regards, Stas.

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
Terje Norderhaug | 29 May 19:51 2011

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

Anybody working on a patch for the problem in ECL 11.1.1 reporting "Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably"?

I see it finally got on the issue tracker:

I've encountered the same problem when working on updating the ecl for iphone/ios project to use the latest version of swank.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Stas Boukarev <stassats-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
Stas Boukarev <stassats-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> What settings do you have? I do not get those errors in any of my systems?
> I can reproduce after doing (require 'bytecmp)
And its compile-file has WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX around WRITE, which
sets *print-readably* to T.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll | 29 May 23:54 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Terje Norderhaug <terje <at> in-progress.com> wrote:
Anybody working on a patch for the problem in ECL 11.1.1 reporting "Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably"?

Yes, basically the same person who is working on all other ECL issues :-) One step at a time (it took me quite long to sort out all the cygwin problems until I produced two bug reports today for the cygwin project)

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
Terje Norderhaug | 30 May 10:58 2011

On May 29, 2011, at 2:54 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Terje Norderhaug <terje@...> wrote:
> Anybody working on a patch for the problem in ECL 11.1.1 reporting "Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND
package> readably"?

> Yes, basically the same person who is working on all other ECL issues :-) One step at a time (it took me quite
long to sort out all the cygwin problems until I produced two bug reports today for the cygwin project)

I did additional testing to determine how the code in Swank affected the problem. The error happens during
in the call (compile-file src :output-file dest :print nil :verbose nil) in a file loaded into an ECL
runtime either on the device (iPad) or a device simulator on a Mac. Even the simplest (defpackage :foo)
form in the beginning of the file to be compiled provokes the error. Binding *print-readably* NIL before
compile-file makes no difference.

-- Terje Norderhaug
   terje@...

Download your free trial now.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/quest-d2dcopy1
Ram Krishnan | 30 May 18:08 2011
Picon

Re: Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND package> readably

One piece of context here is that the embedded ECL that Terje is using in the iPhone Simulator build (or an
iPhone device build) doesn't have the regular compiler, only the bytecode compiler. I tried a quick test
with the attached patch on swank-loader.lisp (CVS HEAD), which changes the swank-loader to simply load
the swank packages instead of compile/loading them and it works around the "Cannot print object
readably" error.

It's possible this issue is isolated to situations where only the bytecode compiler is active.

Cheers,

-ram

(mailto:terje@...)> wrote:
> > Anybody working on a patch for the problem in ECL 11.1.1 reporting "Cannot print object #<SWANK-BACKEND
package> readably"?

> > Yes, basically the same person who is working on all other ECL issues :-) One step at a time (it took me quite
long to sort out all the cygwin problems until I produced two bug reports today for the cygwin project)

> I did additional testing to determine how the code in Swank affected the problem. The error happens during
in the call (compile-file src :output-file dest :print nil :verbose nil) in a file loaded into an ECL
runtime either on the device (iPad) or a device simulator on a Mac. Even the simplest (defpackage :foo)
form in the beginning of the file to be compiled provokes the error. Binding *print-readably* NIL before
compile-file makes no difference.

> -- Terje Norderhaug
> terje@... (mailto:terje@...)

Attachment (swank-loader-patch.txt): application/octet-stream, 1391 bytes
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll | 30 May 23:00 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Ram Krishnan <kriyative <at> gmail.com> wrote:
It's possible this issue is isolated to situations where only the bytecode compiler is active.

The bytecompiler did not consider the possibility of exporting code with structures (packages, classes, etc) that did not have a readable representation. It was my mistake. I have been working on an overhaul of the bytecodes compiler to fix this and the code is in CVS but has not been tested much, so I cannot say whether it solves this -- but at least the test cases you have provided are enough for me to work on the issue.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll | 5 Jun 15:26 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Ram Krishnan <kriyative-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

One piece of context here is that the embedded ECL that Terje is using in the iPhone Simulator build (or an iPhone device build) doesn't have the regular compiler, only the bytecode compiler. I tried a quick test with the attached patch on swank-loader.lisp (CVS HEAD), which changes the swank-loader to simply load the swank packages instead of compile/loading them and it works around the "Cannot print object readably" error.

The bytecodes compiler was not using the new toplevel compiler which has been extended to compile files. The changes w.r.t to form compilation are not trivial and involve among other things: externalizing constants, replacing complex constants with MAKE-LOAD-FORM expressions, interpretation of EVAL-WHEN statements, fixes in DEFMACRO to expand using EVAL-WHEN...

I have been working on this during the last days. The CVS tree now contains a different version of the bytecodes compiler that is now capable of producing files and seems to work with Slime. The only thing is that slime has to be changed to work with the bytecodes compiler. The patches are attached.

Nevertheless, consider this all to be experimental. This is a new tool and, as usual, it will need some fine tuning and polishing.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)
Attachment (slime-ecl-bytecmp.diff): application/octet-stream, 1552 bytes
Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll | 5 Jun 15:30 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll <juanjose.garciaripoll-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org> wrote:

The only thing is that slime has to be changed to work with the bytecodes compiler. The patches are attached.

As usual, I managed to attach the wrong patch file. No worries: the right code has been committed to Slime's CVS tree... I hope :-)

Juanjo