Edi Weitz | 2 Jan 14:16 2013
Picon

Some CAPI demos


Happy New Year everybody!

In the last year, I've written (in Lisp, of course) quite a few small
demos for my students.  None of them is in any way new or spectacular
(although I like the Mandelbrot one quite a bit), but they are all
full-blown delivered executables (most of them for Windows, Linux, and
Mac OS) showing a variety of CAPI features.  So I thought I'd upload
some of them to my website in case someone wants to have a look at
them.  Here are the first four:

  http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/
  http://weitz.de/aco/
  http://weitz.de/hanoi/
  http://weitz.de/turing/

They haven't seen much testing yet, so if you come across something
that's fishy or doesn't work as advertised, I'd be happy if you could
send me a short email.

The upshot in terms of Lisp evangelism has been quite good, BTW.  Most
of the students have only been exposed to Java and scripting languages
so far and there are always some who express an immediate interest in
learning more about CL.

More to come... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

(Continue reading)

Edi Weitz | 2 Jan 16:25 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:

>   http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/

My apologies for the noise, but I managed to introduce a typical
last-minute error.  I've just uploaded a new version.  If your mouse
is over the EXE file it should now identify itself as having version
0.1.1.0.

Sorry,
Edi.

_______________________________________________
Lisp Hug - the mailing list for LispWorks users
lisp-hug <at> lispworks.com
http://www.lispworks.com/support/lisp-hug.html

Edi Weitz | 27 Jan 18:04 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:

>  http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/

I've now finally managed to upload an "official" version of this
program for OS X.  Thanks to Camille Troillard for nudging me to do it
and for helping me to debug it.  As always: Please report any issues
you encounter to me.

Cheers,
Edi.

_______________________________________________
Lisp Hug - the mailing list for LispWorks users
lisp-hug <at> lispworks.com
http://www.lispworks.com/support/lisp-hug.html

David McClain | 27 Jan 18:19 2013

Re: Some CAPI demos


Oops! Fired it up on OS X Mtn Lion, and the first mouse-click in the image region draws a white square around
the mouse position and then fires an error message: "Attempt to retain on a null pointer". ... poof! ...

- DM

On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:

> 
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
> 
>> http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/
> 
> I've now finally managed to upload an "official" version of this
> program for OS X.  Thanks to Camille Troillard for nudging me to do it
> and for helping me to debug it.  As always: Please report any issues
> you encounter to me.
> 
> Cheers,
> Edi.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Lisp Hug - the mailing list for LispWorks users
> lisp-hug <at> lispworks.com
> http://www.lispworks.com/support/lisp-hug.html
> 
> 

Dr. David McClain
CTO & Co-Founder
(Continue reading)

Edi Weitz | 27 Jan 18:23 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


Oooh, that's bad.  I could only test on OS X 10.4 so far.  I'll see if
I can lure my wife away from her Mac so that I can test there.

Thanks for the heads-up,
Edi.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM, David McClain <david <at> acudora.com> wrote:
> Oops! Fired it up on OS X Mtn Lion, and the first mouse-click in the image region draws a white square around
the mouse position and then fires an error message: "Attempt to retain on a null pointer". ... poof! ...
>
> - DM
>
> On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
>
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
>>
>>> http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/
>>
>> I've now finally managed to upload an "official" version of this
>> program for OS X.  Thanks to Camille Troillard for nudging me to do it
>> and for helping me to debug it.  As always: Please report any issues
>> you encounter to me.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Edi.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Lisp Hug - the mailing list for LispWorks users
(Continue reading)

Edi Weitz | 27 Jan 20:36 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


So, I can now confirm after tests on several different Macs that the
application works fine on 10.4 (two different machines) and does not
work at all on 10.6 or higher.  Unfortunately, I neither have an idea
what the problem could be nor do I have a Mac with something newer
than 10.4.  I think I'll just retract the Mac version for now.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
> Oooh, that's bad.  I could only test on OS X 10.4 so far.  I'll see if
> I can lure my wife away from her Mac so that I can test there.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up,
> Edi.
>
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM, David McClain <david <at> acudora.com> wrote:
>> Oops! Fired it up on OS X Mtn Lion, and the first mouse-click in the image region draws a white square around
the mouse position and then fires an error message: "Attempt to retain on a null pointer". ... poof! ...
>>
>> - DM
>>
>> On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
>>>
>>>> http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/
>>>
>>> I've now finally managed to upload an "official" version of this
>>> program for OS X.  Thanks to Camille Troillard for nudging me to do it
(Continue reading)

Edi Weitz | 28 Jan 21:22 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


Mikel Evins was nice enough to send me a backtrace from a current
version of OS X and it seems I was able to solve this problem.  The
new version doesn't show this strange crash-on-first-click behavior
anymore and was tested on 10.4 and 10.6 (here at home), 10.7.5 (Mikel)
and 10.8.2 (thanks to Hans Hübner).  So I hope it's OK if I pester the
list once again with a Mac version:

  http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/

And don't shoot me if it still doesn't work for you... :)

Thanks,
Edi.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
> Oooh, that's bad.  I could only test on OS X 10.4 so far.  I'll see if
> I can lure my wife away from her Mac so that I can test there.
>
> Thanks for the heads-up,
> Edi.
>
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM, David McClain <david <at> acudora.com> wrote:
>> Oops! Fired it up on OS X Mtn Lion, and the first mouse-click in the image region draws a white square around
the mouse position and then fires an error message: "Attempt to retain on a null pointer". ... poof! ...
>>
>> - DM
>>
>> On Jan 27, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
(Continue reading)

Camille Troillard | 29 Jan 09:26 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


Beautiful work!
(works well on another OS X 10.8.2 computer).

On 28 janv. 2013, at 21:22, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:

> Mikel Evins was nice enough to send me a backtrace from a current
> version of OS X and it seems I was able to solve this problem.  The
> new version doesn't show this strange crash-on-first-click behavior
> anymore and was tested on 10.4 and 10.6 (here at home), 10.7.5 (Mikel)
> and 10.8.2 (thanks to Hans Hübner).  So I hope it's OK if I pester the
> list once again with a Mac version:
> 
>  http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/
> 
> And don't shoot me if it still doesn't work for you... :)

_______________________________________________
Lisp Hug - the mailing list for LispWorks users
lisp-hug <at> lispworks.com
http://www.lispworks.com/support/lisp-hug.html

Nick Barnes | 29 Jan 10:36 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


Sometimes it seems to freeze up on the first click, other times it
works fine.  No support for Retina display (so everything appears
pixel-doubled).  Otherwise, very nice.  Sources?

Nick B

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
>
> Mikel Evins was nice enough to send me a backtrace from a current
> version of OS X and it seems I was able to solve this problem.  The
> new version doesn't show this strange crash-on-first-click behavior
> anymore and was tested on 10.4 and 10.6 (here at home), 10.7.5 (Mikel)
> and 10.8.2 (thanks to Hans Hübner).  So I hope it's OK if I pester the
> list once again with a Mac version:
>
>   http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/
>
> And don't shoot me if it still doesn't work for you... :)
>
> Thanks,
> Edi.
>
>
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
>> Oooh, that's bad.  I could only test on OS X 10.4 so far.  I'll see if
>> I can lure my wife away from her Mac so that I can test there.
>>
>> Thanks for the heads-up,
>> Edi.
(Continue reading)

Edi Weitz | 29 Jan 12:33 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes <at> pobox.com> wrote:
> Sometimes it seems to freeze up on the first click, other times it
> works fine.

Haven't seen that yet.  Is there a way to reproduce it?

> No support for Retina display (so everything appears
> pixel-doubled).

If someone wants to give me with a machine with Retina display, I'd be
happy to work on this problem... :)

(Seriously, though, what do you have to do in CAPI do write
applications for Retina displays?)

> Sources?

I have no plans to publish the source code if that's what you mean.
Email me privately if you're interested in getting it.

Thanks for the feedback,
Edi.

_______________________________________________
Lisp Hug - the mailing list for LispWorks users
lisp-hug <at> lispworks.com
http://www.lispworks.com/support/lisp-hug.html

(Continue reading)

Nick Barnes | 29 Jan 12:52 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes <at> pobox.com> wrote:
>> Sometimes it seems to freeze up on the first click, other times it
>> works fine.
>
> Haven't seen that yet.  Is there a way to reproduce it?

No idea.  I click and get a white box, then it's totally unresponsive.

>> No support for Retina display (so everything appears
>> pixel-doubled).
>
> If someone wants to give me with a machine with Retina display, I'd be
> happy to work on this problem... :)

Well, mine was cheaper than the equivalent machine with a regular display....

> (Seriously, though, what do you have to do in CAPI do write
> applications for Retina displays?)

That's an excellent question for the LW people.  I don't have LW for Mac.

>> Sources?
>
> I have no plans to publish the source code if that's what you mean.
> Email me privately if you're interested in getting it.

I'm just curious about the algorithms you've used.  Back in the early
90s I spent some time 'brotting on a SPARCstation, pimping cycles out
(Continue reading)

Edi Weitz | 6 Jan 12:52 2013
Picon

Re: Some CAPI demos


On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Edi Weitz <edi <at> weitz.de> wrote:

>   http://weitz.de/mandelbrot/

I've added a Linux version of the Mandelbrot set explorer.  It
definitely needs some testing!  (I only have a pretty old Linux
machine available and have to test CAPI apps via X.  Not much fun...)

Cheers,
Edi.

_______________________________________________
Lisp Hug - the mailing list for LispWorks users
lisp-hug <at> lispworks.com
http://www.lispworks.com/support/lisp-hug.html


Gmane