Evan Hanson | 22 Mar 04:40 2012

Chicken on Heroku

A few days ago I put together a buildpack that allows one to run Chicken
apps on Heroku; figured I'd share it here in case someone else finds it
useful.

A "buildpack", for the tragically unhip, is just a handful of scripts to
bootstrap an environment for a Heroku process. This one installs Chicken
4.7.0 and runs a standard chicken-install for your program -- apps can
be written just like eggs, with setup- and meta-files per usual.

Defining a default command to run once everything is installed is the
only weird part; Heroku uses a file called a Procfile[1] to specify
processes, which you can use to start e.g. an awful app on the correct
port for the instance:

    web: awful --port=$PORT example.scm

If no Procfile is present, the buildpack will try to run a file called
`run.scm` in your application's root. This may or may not be a good
default -- I'm open to suggestions.

chickadee, pastiche and the handful of awful apps that I tried worked
without any real configuration; there's an example in the README. The
repository is located here:

    https://github.com/evhan/heroku-buildpack-chicken

Hopefully this'll help someone get some hot Chicken-on-cloud action...

Mario Domenech Goulart | 22 Mar 12:35 2012
Picon

Re: Chicken on Heroku

Hi Evan,

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:40:08 -0400 Evan Hanson <evhan <at> thunktastic.com> wrote:

> A few days ago I put together a buildpack that allows one to run Chicken
> apps on Heroku; figured I'd share it here in case someone else finds it
> useful.
>
> A "buildpack", for the tragically unhip, is just a handful of scripts to
> bootstrap an environment for a Heroku process. This one installs Chicken
> 4.7.0 and runs a standard chicken-install for your program -- apps can
> be written just like eggs, with setup- and meta-files per usual.
>
> Defining a default command to run once everything is installed is the
> only weird part; Heroku uses a file called a Procfile[1] to specify
> processes, which you can use to start e.g. an awful app on the correct
> port for the instance:
>
>     web: awful --port=$PORT example.scm
>
> If no Procfile is present, the buildpack will try to run a file called
> `run.scm` in your application's root. This may or may not be a good
> default -- I'm open to suggestions.
>
> chickadee, pastiche and the handful of awful apps that I tried worked
> without any real configuration; there's an example in the README. The
> repository is located here:
>
>     https://github.com/evhan/heroku-buildpack-chicken

(Continue reading)

Stephen Eilert | 22 Mar 17:48 2012
Picon

Re: Chicken on Heroku

A few days ago I put together a buildpack that allows one to run Chicken
apps on Heroku; figured I'd share it here in case someone else finds it
useful.

Awesome! Thanks.

-- Stephen

--

-- Stephen

"Kids these days.
Whatever happened to hard work?"

       -- Joel Spolsky, The perils of javaschools