Kevin Smith | 2 Aug 22:31 2010
Picon

sbcl threaded + mac os + slime

I seem to have a problem when running a program (using cl-opengl, cl-glut) under slime on the threaded version of sbcl for mac os.  Whenever I execute a compile/load file from slime,  slime disconnects from the process. The message is:

------
Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: connection broken by remote peer

Error during redisplay: (error Connection closed.)
------

However, when I run the lisp program from the repl in sbcl, it loads fine.

 I seem to think it is a problem with cl-opengl.  when I evaluate this region in the file from slime (with as little as cl-opengl included in the list), it disconnects:

  (require :cl-opengl)
  (require :cl-glu)
  (require :cl-glut)
  (require :cl-opencv))

However, when I evaluate other functions (that can be evaluated independently), it doesn't disconnect.  Also, running this code from the repl doesn't cause any problems - only from slime.

I am using the latest slime version as well as the macports of sbcl (threaded) which I dowloaded via:

sudo port install sbcl +threads

btw, NON-threaded is not a problem;  slime works fine with all the above code.

Kevin Smith | 7 Aug 06:26 2010
Picon

Re: sbcl threaded + mac os + slime

I didn't get a response to this, but I found a solution that seems to work.

Add:

(setf swank:*communication-style* :fd-handler)

to your  ~/.swank.lisp  file   (or create this file and add it in if you don't have one...)

[...]

Richard Billington | 7 Sep 23:06 2011

Kevin Smith <k2msmith <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I didn't get a response to this, but I found a solution that seems to work.
>

> Add:
> (setf swank:*communication-style* :fd-handler)
>
> to your  ~/.swank.lisp  file   (or create this file and add it in if you don't
> have one...)
>

> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Kevin Smith <k2msmith <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> I seem to have a problem when running a program (using cl-opengl, cl-glut)
> under slime on the threaded version of sbcl for mac os.  Whenever I execute a
> compile/load file from slime,  slime disconnects from the process. The
> message is:

I'm seeing further problems:

I've confirmed that swank:*communication-style* is
bound to :fd-handler.  However, using Aquamacs:

GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2011-08-04 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 2.3a

and slime version from end of August 2011 (apparently the latest).

When I run my CLIM-based app, it runs, but as soon as I try to do anything, it
fails into the debugger, and I must use a call from the main repl to kill the
thread/process - X11 ignores calls to close the window, for example.

It'd be convenient to run a CLIM app in a separate thread, but I can live
without it.  I do want to some thread-based programming, and I hope this isn't
indicative I've what I'm going to run into.

Thanks.