firstl | 20 Jul 14:25 2012

sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

I am trying to use blat 3.0.6 in a WINDOWS 7 environment.
I have the following problem: when I send the command to blat an email with a text file as the body and an attachment of a pdf file (not password protected), the email goes out with the correct body but no attachment.

I turned -debug on as well as -log.
The output shows that blat recognized the attachment parameter, however there is no error as to why it failed to attach the pdf file (which exists).

I have tries -attach, -attachi and -attacht all to no avail.

Thanks

MikeB

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

Tim Musson | 20 Jul 15:41 2012

Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

Hey firstl,

On Friday, July 20, 2012 at 8:25:56 AM you wrote

f> I am trying to use blat 3.0.6 in a WINDOWS 7 environment.
f> I have the following problem: when I send the command to blat an
f> email with a text file as the body and an attachment of a pdf file
f> (not password protected), the email goes out with the correct body but no attachment.

f> I turned -debug on as well as -log.
f> The output shows that blat recognized the attachment parameter,
f> however there is no error as to why it failed to attach the pdf file (which exists).

f> I have tries -attach, -attachi and -attacht all to no avail.

f> Thanks
f> MikeB

I just tried it and didn't have a problem.
Saw this in the log: Attached binary file: test.pdf

When you post to the list, please include;
The version of Blat you are using,
The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
The output of the -debug command.

Please change any eMail or server addresses (including the
munged data in the debug logs, it can be decoded fairly
easily) - it is never a good idea to send that information
to a public list.

--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.0.34

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

firstl | 20 Jul 16:51 2012

Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

Tim,

Version: Blat 3.0.6
O/S: Windows 7

This is what I get:(note log file message about file not found...)

>c:/blat/blat306/full/blat -bodyF l:/win7/statements/form/disclaimer.txt -debug -log blat.log -attach l:/win7/statements/fax/cs100002520.pdf -to mbraganca <at> ambac.com -s "Test Email to BRIAN FENSKE(cs100002520.pdf)"
argv[ 1] = '-bodyF'
argv[ 2] = 'l:/win7/statements/form/disclaimer.txt'
argv[ 3] = '-debug'
argv[ 4] = '-log'
argv[ 5] = 'blat.log'
argv[ 6] = '-attach'
argv[ 7] = 'l:/win7/statements/fax/cs100002520.pdf'
argv[ 8] = '-to'
argv[ 9] = 'mbraganca <at> ambac.com'
argv[10] = '-s'
argv[11] = 'Test Email to BRIAN FENSKE(cs100002520.pdf)'
Blat v3.0.6 (build : Jun 21 2012 23:52:52)
32-bit Windows, Full, Unicode

2012.07.20 10:44:12 (Fri)------------Start of Session-----------------
Blat v3.0.6 (build : Jun 21 2012 23:52:52)
32-bit Windows, Full, Unicode
Found "l:cs100002520.pdf" matching search string "l:/win7/statements/fax/cs100002520.pdf", but the file cannot be opened.
<<<getline<<< 220 exctny1~inboundrelay for applications
>>>putline>>> EHLO abk-devmb-win7.ambac.com
<<<getline<<< 250-exctny1.ambac.abklan.net Hello [192.168.15.159]
<<<getline<<< 250-SIZE 41943040
<<<getline<<< 250-PIPELINING
<<<getline<<< 250-DSN
<<<getline<<< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
<<<getline<<< 250-STARTTLS
<<<getline<<< 250-X-ANONYMOUSTLS
<<<getline<<< 250-AUTH NTLM
<<<getline<<< 250-X-EXPS GSSAPI NTLM
<<<getline<<< 250-8BITMIME
<<<getline<<< 250-BINARYMIME
<<<getline<<< 250-CHUNKING
<<<getline<<< 250-XEXCH50
<<<getline<<< 250 XRDST
Sending l:/win7/statements/form/disclaimer.txt to mbraganca <at> ambac.com
Subject: Test Email to BRIAN FENSKE(cs100002520.pdf) at BFENSKE <at> FULLBRIGHT.COM
Login name is mbraganca <at> ambac.com
>>>putline>>> MAIL FROM:<mbraganca <at> ambac.com>
<<<getline<<< 250 2.1.0 Sender OK
>>>putline>>> RCPT TO:<mbraganca <at> ambac.com>
<<<getline<<< 250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
>>>putline>>> DATA
<<<getline<<< 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
<<<getline<<< 250 2.6.0 <01cd6686$Blat.v3.0.6$21ecc0a0$45872f08f61 <at> ambac.com> Queued mail for delivery
>>>putline>>> QUIT
<<<getline<<< 221 2.0.0 Service closing transmission channel
2012.07.20 10:44:14 (Fri)-------------End of Session------------------

--- In blat <at> yahoogroups.com, Tim Musson <blat <at> ...> wrote:

> Hey firstl,
>
> On Friday, July 20, 2012 at 8:25:56 AM you wrote
>
> f> I am trying to use blat 3.0.6 in a WINDOWS 7 environment.
> f> I have the following problem: when I send the command to blat an
> f> email with a text file as the body and an attachment of a pdf file
> f> (not password protected), the email goes out with the correct body but no attachment.
>
> f> I turned -debug on as well as -log.
> f> The output shows that blat recognized the attachment parameter,
> f> however there is no error as to why it failed to attach the pdf file (which exists).
>
> f> I have tries -attach, -attachi and -attacht all to no avail.
>
> f> Thanks
> f> MikeB
>
> I just tried it and didn't have a problem.
> Saw this in the log: Attached binary file: test.pdf
>
> When you post to the list, please include;
> The version of Blat you are using,
> The command line you used to run Blat (please use -debug),
> The output of the -debug command.
>
> Please change any eMail or server addresses (including the
> munged data in the debug logs, it can be decoded fairly
> easily) - it is never a good idea to send that information
> to a public list.
>
> --
> Tim Musson
> Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.0.34
> There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
> binary, and those who don't.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

Tim Musson | 20 Jul 17:30 2012

Re: Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

Hey firstl,

On Friday, July 20, 2012 at 10:51:47 AM you wrote

f> Found "l:cs100002520.pdf" matching search string
f> "l:/win7/statements/fax/cs100002520.pdf", but the file cannot be opened.

Ok, this line is your problem. I am guessing that it is a rights
issue (most of the Win7 issues are).

--
Tim Musson
Flying with The Bat! eMail v5.0.34
Why is it that to stop Windows 2000, you still have to click on
"Start"?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

Chip | 20 Jul 17:46 2012

Re: Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

<snipped>

> c:/blat/blat306/full/blat -bodyF
> l:/win7/statements/form/disclaimer.txt -debug -log blat.log -attach
> l:/win7/statements/fax/cs100002520.pdf

<snipped>

Windows is not *nix, please change the forward slashes to backward slashes.
The above text should instead look like this:

c:\blat\blat306\full\blat -bodyF
l:\win7\statements\form\disclaimer.txt -debug -log blat.log -attach
l:\win7\statements\fax\cs100002520.pdf

Blat was able to find the file named, but Windows did not allow Blat to open
the file. If the backslashes does not fix the issue, is there a permissions
issue?

--
Chip

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

Roger Bohl (Sr. | 20 Jul 17:21 2012
Picon

Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

I'm not at the location where I have my (successful) attach file example,
but  try including the -debug command, which may reveal the problem in (as
I recall) a blatlog.txt file.  include -log blat.log

I found the following sample on this computer that my AllWay Sync program
had brought here:

blat
    batch.bat
    -to tim <at> blat.tld
    -f tim <at> blat.tld
    -s "Test Blat"
    -server localhost
    -debug
    -log blat.log
    -timestamp
    -x "X-Header-Test: Can Blat do it? Yes it Can!"

    blat
-
-subject "here is my pix"
-body "here is my pix"
-to me <at> ...
-f me <at> ...
-server your.email.server.tld
-attach "...\my documents\pix.png"
-debug -log path\blat.log]

Ok, looking at the broken down command above.
The first option of "-" tells Blat to use something from the command
line for the message body (which is what you are reading here).

-subject "here is my pix"
This option tells Blat what to use for the message subject

-body "here is my pix"
this option is telling Blat what to put in the message body

-to me <at> ...
this is how you tell Blat who to send the message to

-f me <at> ...
The from address that Blat will use

-server your.email.server.tld
The mail server you want Blat to connect to to send the message

-attach "...\my documents\pix.png"
How you attach your pix

-debug -log path\blat.log
Tells Blat to keep a log of what it is doing

Also, start with a sample attachment file in the blat directory.  I believe
-attach "attachfile" will work. It appears quotation marks are required.

If this works, but not an attachment in another directory, review the
posting re long file names, and file names with blanks in them.  I can help
here, too.

I'll be in a location later today where I have access to my notes and blat
directory, and may be able to provide more help.  I wish I could help more,
now, but I too am a newbie.  I got a lot of help from Chip, and am glad to
pass on the favor.  This is at least a level at which I have acquired some
knowledge -- just not in my head - its on paper

Roger
415-317-1344 (cell)
707-939-8459 after 4pm,PDT

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:25 AM, firstl <mbraganca <at> ambac.com> wrote:

> **
>

> I am trying to use blat 3.0.6 in a WINDOWS 7 environment.
> I have the following problem: when I send the command to blat an email
> with a text file as the body and an attachment of a pdf file (not password
> protected), the email goes out with the correct body but no attachment.
>
> I turned -debug on as well as -log.
> The output shows that blat recognized the attachment parameter, however
> there is no error as to why it failed to attach the pdf file (which exists).
>
> I have tries -attach, -attachi and -attacht all to no avail.
>
> Thanks
>
> MikeB

------------------------------------

Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

ykai | 21 Jul 23:42 2012
Picon

Chip wrote on 20 July 2012:

>Windows is not *nix, please change the forward slashes to backward slashes.

While the "use backward slashes with Windows" is a useful meme,
it is not exactly precise (which Chip is fully aware of, I presume.)
The limitation lies within the command line processor, aka
cmd.exe (and command.com previously.) The Windows API functions
dealing with file paths (and even their prehistoric ancestors in DOS)
have always accepted forward slashes as path separators.
Just some (nearly useless) piece of information to show off.
Returning to hibernation.
--
Kai

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

Chip | 23 Jul 07:04 2012

Re: Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

> While the "use backward slashes with Windows" is a useful meme, it is not
> exactly precise (which Chip is fully aware of, I presume.) The limitation
> lies within the command line processor, aka cmd.exe (and command.com
> previously.) The Windows API functions dealing with file paths (and even
> their prehistoric ancestors in DOS) have always accepted forward slashes
> as path separators. Just some (nearly useless) piece of information to
> show off. Returning to hibernation.

While it sounds true, the use of forward slashes as a path delimiter has not
always been allowed. MS-/PC-DOS does not allow it, even in the last
official release under Windows 98 SE. Newer versions of Windows does allow
forward slashes, as a concession to people (notably, college students)
coming from *nix environments in some cases, but not always (at last check).
Windows 7 may allow forward slashes in all of its API calls, but the safest
for path delimiters in Windows is to use the backslash instead.

I am not sure I still have a copy of DOS 1.0, but I used to, from way back
before hard drives.

--
Chip

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

Ross Boulet | 26 Jul 15:31 2012

RE: Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

LOL. If I recall, DOS 1.x didn’t even support directories (folders).

> While the "use backward slashes with Windows" is a useful meme, it is not
> exactly precise (which Chip is fully aware of, I presume.) The limitation
> lies within the command line processor, aka cmd.exe (and command.com
> previously.) The Windows API functions dealing with file paths (and even
> their prehistoric ancestors in DOS) have always accepted forward slashes
> as path separators. Just some (nearly useless) piece of information to
> show off. Returning to hibernation.

While it sounds true, the use of forward slashes as a path delimiter has not
always been allowed. MS-/PC-DOS does not allow it, even in the last
official release under Windows 98 SE. Newer versions of Windows does allow
forward slashes, as a concession to people (notably, college students)
coming from *nix environments in some cases, but not always (at last check).
Windows 7 may allow forward slashes in all of its API calls, but the safest
for path delimiters in Windows is to use the backslash instead.

I am not sure I still have a copy of DOS 1.0, but I used to, from way back
before hard drives.

--
Chip

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
--
Homepage:
  http://www.blat.net

namtog | 26 Jul 17:27 2012
Picon

Re: sending an email with a -bodyF parameter and pdf attachment

Greetings,

Wiki seems to have the path issue covered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_%28computing%29

Namtog

Recent Activity:
--