Jeff Wark | 1 Apr 16:44 2008
Picon

Re: 5.2.1 error: mailbox has a very long line

Will splitting those lines affect any mailbox indexing?

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:15:21 +0400
  Technical Support <support <at> stalker.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> TCIS List Acct wrote:
>>> We upgraded from 5.1.7 to 5.2.1 over the weekend and have a user that
>>> can no longer log in to his mailbox via WebMail.  The INBOX does not
>>> display, and the following error is shown:
>>>
>>> "mailbox has a very long line"
>>>
>>> This customer worked fine on 5.1.7, so it must be something that has
>>> recently been introduced.
>>>
>>> We've also started getting mail being rejected with:
>>>
>>> Failed to deliver to 'brian <at> customer.com'
>>>  LOCAL module(account brian <at> customer.com) reports:
>>>   message contains an extremely long text line
>>>
>>> Anyone know if it is possible to disable these "long text line" checks?
>>
>> Those long lines may be some some indication of the mailbox damage. you may want to find those line and
split them - using a
>>plain text editor.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
(Continue reading)

TCIS List Acct | 1 Apr 17:08 2008

Jeff Wark wrote:
> Will splitting those lines affect any mailbox indexing?

Great question!

Here is what Stalker support told me to do:

---
You can use:

egrep '^.{1024,}$' INBOX.mbox

This will give you the beginning of the problem line, and after that use some
editor to find and edit that line.
---

They never address if such a "manual editing" of the mailbox will break other
things related to its parsing.

Mike Bacher / listacct <at> tulsaconnect.com
TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
http://www.tulsaconnect.com

Technical Support | 1 Apr 19:45 2008

TCIS List Acct wrote:

> Jeff Wark wrote:
>> Will splitting those lines affect any mailbox indexing?
>
> Great question!
>
> Here is what Stalker support told me to do:
>
> ---
> You can use:
>
> egrep '^.{1024,}$' INBOX.mbox
>
> This will give you the beginning of the problem line, and after that use
> some editor to find and edit that line.
> ---
>
> They never address if such a "manual editing" of the mailbox will break
> other things related to its parsing.

CGpro always checks that index is still valid for the current mailbox
data. Any hint of a mismatch and the index is discarded and re-built.

Best regards,
Dmitry Akindinov
(Continue reading)

TCIS List Acct | 2 Apr 06:11 2008

Re: 5.2.1 error: mailbox has a very long line

>> They never address if such a "manual editing" of the mailbox will
>> break other things related to its parsing.
>
> CGpro always checks that index is still valid for the current mailbox
> data. Any hint of a mismatch and the index is discarded and re-built.

So will "manual editing" of a MBOX mailbox break other things related to its
parsing or ?

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to <CGatePro-digest <at> mail.stalker.com>
To switch to the INDEX mode, E-mail to <CGatePro-index <at> mail.stalker.com>
Send administrative queries to  <CGatePro-request <at> mail.stalker.com>

Technical Support | 2 Apr 09:24 2008

TCIS List Acct wrote:

>>> They never address if such a "manual editing" of the mailbox will
>>> break other things related to its parsing.
>>
>> CGpro always checks that index is still valid for the current mailbox
>> data. Any hint of a mismatch and the index is discarded and re-built.
>>

> So will "manual editing" of a MBOX mailbox break other things related to
> its parsing or ?

It's important that you modify a copy of the file, so it's guaranteed
the system does not try to access it while you modify it. And use a
plain text editor that does not have any side effects.

As for other thing that can be broken - they can. You need to edit the
file to remove some malformatted message or split that long line that
got stored with older versions of CGPro. But, of course, it's always
possible to damage the mailbox more.

Best regards,
Dmitry Akindinov

Bruce Isaacson | 2 Apr 22:41 2008

Re: 5.2.1 error: mailbox has a very long line

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:24:53 +0400
  Technical Support <support <at> stalker.com> wrote:

>>> CGpro always checks that index is still valid for the
>>>current mailbox
>>> data. Any hint of a mismatch and the index is discarded
>>>and re-built.
>>>

>> So will "manual editing" of a MBOX mailbox break other
>>things related to
>> its parsing or ?
>
> It's important that you modify a copy of the file, so
>it's guaranteed the system does not try to access it
>while you modify it. And use a plain text editor that
>does not have any side effects.
>
> As for other thing that can be broken - they can. You
>need to edit the file to remove some malformatted message
>or split that long line that got stored with older
>versions of CGPro. But, of course, it's always possible
>to damage the mailbox more.
(Continue reading)

Bruce Isaacson | 2 Apr 22:40 2008

Re: 5.2.1 error: mailbox has a very long line

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:24:53 +0400
  Technical Support <support <at> stalker.com> wrote:

>>> CGpro always checks that index is still valid for the
>>>current mailbox
>>> data. Any hint of a mismatch and the index is discarded
>>>and re-built.
>>>

>> So will "manual editing" of a MBOX mailbox break other
>>things related to
>> its parsing or ?
>
> It's important that you modify a copy of the file, so
>it's guaranteed the system does not try to access it
>while you modify it. And use a plain text editor that
>does not have any side effects.
>
> As for other thing that can be broken - they can. You
>need to edit the file to remove some malformatted message
>or split that long line that got stored with older
>versions of CGPro. But, of course, it's always possible
>to damage the mailbox more.
(Continue reading)

Bruce Isaacson | 2 Apr 22:39 2008

Re: 5.2.1 error: mailbox has a very long line