Clint Pachl | 28 Aug 11:55 2005
Picon

Problems Installing on FreeBSD4.x using make cmd line variables

I am having problems installing nullmailer-1.00 in a
command-line-specified directory on FreeBSD4.11 when running `make
install prefix=/tmp/nullmailer`. I performed the
configure/make/install process using both /bin/sh and /bin/csh shells
with the same results. As a test, I performed this exact process using
sudo source code and it worked as expected, so I'm pretty sure it's
not my make binary or configs.

The process outlined below works perfectly in Slackware and OpenBSD.

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
# make
# make install prefix=/tmp/nullmailer
(at this point everything is under /usr/local/)
# make install-root
(target, install-root, fails because it cannot find files in /tmp/nullmailer)

WORKAROUND (csh)

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
# make
# setenv prefix "/tmp/nullmailer"
# make -E prefix install
# make -E prefix install-root

I guess I'm just curious why make's command line variables are
essentially ignored, while it acknowledges environment vars?

- pachl
(Continue reading)

Clive Lin | 28 Aug 17:35 2005

Re: Problems Installing on FreeBSD4.x using make cmd line variables

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 02:55:14AM -0700, Clint Pachl wrote:
> I am having problems installing nullmailer-1.00 in a
> command-line-specified directory on FreeBSD4.11 when running `make
> install prefix=/tmp/nullmailer`. I performed the
> configure/make/install process using both /bin/sh and /bin/csh shells
> with the same results. As a test, I performed this exact process using
> sudo source code and it worked as expected, so I'm pretty sure it's
> not my make binary or configs.
>
> The process outlined below works perfectly in Slackware and OpenBSD.

    You may like to install nullmailer from ports, which is at
/usr/ports/mail/nullmailer. Nullmailer in ports is also integrated
with SMTP authentication mechanism.

Cheers

Clive Tong-I Lin | http://tongi.org | PGP KeyID: A008C03E

Gmane