Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2 | 13 Sep 10:54 2011

Question: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Hi,

I have a seen a few of these messages popping up in the mail.log
over the past weeks. Would someone tell me whether this is a
configuration problem with my server, or a remote site?  The 451 error
has appeared from a couple of sites, hence I wonder if the problem lies
with my site.  In the case of the example below, the message is delivered.

Best regards,

unknown[62.11.22.33]; from=<scrubbed_user <at> example.com>
to=<scrubbed_user <at> soekris.eu> proto=ESMTP helo=<[127.0.0.1]>: Received:
from [127.0.0.1] (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by localhost
Sep 12 17:52:19 logout postfix/cleanup[28473]: 91545817DA:
message-id=<4E6E2AD2.8010905 <at> example.com>
Sep 12 17:52:21 logout postfix/qmgr[12672]: 91545817DA:
from=<scrubbed_user <at> example.com>, size=31400, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

Reindl Harald | 13 Sep 10:58 2011

Re: Question: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Am 13.09.2011 10:54, schrieb Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2:

> I have a seen a few of these messages popping up in the mail.log
> over the past weeks. Would someone tell me whether this is a
> configuration problem with my server, or a remote site?  The 451 error
> has appeared from a couple of sites, hence I wonder if the problem lies
> with my site.  In the case of the example below, the message is delivered.
> relay=mail.gigahost.dk[89.186.169.167]:25, delay=394,
> delays=393/0.02/0.12/1, dsn=4.3.5, status=deferred (host
> mail.gigahost.dk[89.186.169.167] said: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration
> problem (in reply to RCPT TO command))

if you get from a remote host "said: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem"
this message says clearly that the remite host has a configuration problem
and this has nothing to do with you

Wietse Venema | 13 Sep 14:11 2011

Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2:
> Hi,
>     I have a seen a few of these messages popping up in the mail.log
> over the past weeks. Would someone tell me whether this is a
> configuration problem with my server, or a remote site?  The 451 error
> has appeared from a couple of sites, hence I wonder if the problem lies
> with my site.  In the case of the example below, the message is delivered.

SMTP is a client-server protocol.

When sending mail, Postfix is the SMTP client.

When receiving mail, Postfix is the SMTP server.

When the SMTP server replies with "server configuration error" then
the SMTP server has a problem.

Wietse

Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2 | 13 Sep 14:34 2011

On 09/13/2011 02:11 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2:
>> Hi,
>>     I have a seen a few of these messages popping up in the mail.log
>> over the past weeks. Would someone tell me whether this is a
>> configuration problem with my server, or a remote site?  The 451 error
>> has appeared from a couple of sites, hence I wonder if the problem lies
>> with my site.  In the case of the example below, the message is delivered.
> SMTP is a client-server protocol.
> When sending mail, Postfix is the SMTP client.
> When receiving mail, Postfix is the SMTP server.
> When the SMTP server replies with "server configuration error" then
> the SMTP server has a problem.
> 	Wietse
Thank-you Wietse.
Thus, the problem is my broken server.  Next step is to work out where
the problem is.

Simon Loewenthal/Tele2
GSM: +31 6 2000 5427

******** IMPORTANT NOTICE ********
PLEASE REPLY TO simon.loewenthal <at> klunky.co.uk

Reindl Harald | 13 Sep 14:38 2011

Am 13.09.2011 14:34, schrieb Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2:
> On 09/13/2011 02:11 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>> Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>     I have a seen a few of these messages popping up in the mail.log
>>> over the past weeks. Would someone tell me whether this is a
>>> configuration problem with my server, or a remote site?  The 451 error
>>> has appeared from a couple of sites, hence I wonder if the problem lies
>>> with my site.  In the case of the example below, the message is delivered.
>> SMTP is a client-server protocol.
>> When sending mail, Postfix is the SMTP client.
>> When receiving mail, Postfix is the SMTP server.
>> When the SMTP server replies with "server configuration error" then
>> the SMTP server has a problem.
>> 	Wietse
> Thank-you Wietse.
> Thus, the problem is my broken server.  Next step is to work out where
> the problem is.

why is YOUR server broken if the REMOTE server says "configuration problem"?

Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2 | 13 Sep 14:47 2011

On 09/13/2011 02:38 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 13.09.2011 14:34, schrieb Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2:
>> On 09/13/2011 02:11 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>>> Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2:
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>>     I have a seen a few of these messages popping up in the mail.log
>>>> over the past weeks. Would someone tell me whether this is a
>>>> configuration problem with my server, or a remote site?  The 451 error
>>>> has appeared from a couple of sites, hence I wonder if the problem lies
>>>> with my site.  In the case of the example below, the message is delivered.
>>> SMTP is a client-server protocol.
>>>
>>> When sending mail, Postfix is the SMTP client.
>>>
>>> When receiving mail, Postfix is the SMTP server.
>>>
>>> When the SMTP server replies with "server configuration error" then
>>> the SMTP server has a problem.
>>>
>>> 	Wietse
>> Thank-you Wietse.
>> Thus, the problem is my broken server.  Next step is to work out where
>> the problem is.
> why is YOUR server broken if the REMOTE server says "configuration problem"?
Because I had mis-read the the statement back-to-front.  Now I
understand it the right way around.  :}

Stan Hoeppner | 13 Sep 17:42 2011

On 9/13/2011 7:47 AM, Simon Loewenthal/NL/Tele2 wrote:
> On 09/13/2011 02:38 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> why is YOUR server broken if the REMOTE server says "configuration problem"?
> Because I had mis-read the the statement back-to-front.  Now I
> understand it the right way around.  :}

You still don't understand.  The problem isn't your Postfix MTA, but the
remote MTA.  Send a similar email to one of these broken servers using a
Gmail account.  You'll receive a bounce with the same message you pasted
here: "Server configuration problem".

The only thing confusing you here is the presence of this message in log
file.  You apparently don't know how to read your mail log...

Stan