Claudio Filho | 17 Apr 14:42 2012
Picon

[RCD] Translation of main pages

Hi

In the same way of Trac, i ask too about the main site. Do you have
interesting in translate for other languages?

I explain my interesting in this questions, to try give my viewpoint
about this question.

I really liked of RC's purpose because i searched by years a good and
intuitive webmail. I used since squirrelmail, after aloha, and i found
RC when you started this project. In there time, i was very busy with
OpenOffice.org project, translating and promoting this product in my
country. Today, i continue helping in Apache OpenOffice and Debian,
where have this concern in involve new users, volunteers and promoting
the product.

Returning to point, the main page for this two projects, are scripts
that build the pages, where the sources are txt files easily
translatable, and using the httpd negociation to present the content
in the native language of user that is browsing the pages, or english,
if haven't in his language. I think that a good strategy for RC,
including respect for potencial users and volunteers. What you think?

If you have interesting, i can do a proof of concept and present.

Best,
Claudio
dev <at> lists.roundcube.net
(Continue reading)

Thomas Bruederli | 18 Apr 00:40 2012
Picon

Re: [RCD] Translation of main pages

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 14:42, Claudio Filho <filhocf <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

Hello Claudio

> In the same way of Trac, i ask too about the main site. Do you have
> interesting in translate for other languages?
>
> I explain my interesting in this questions, to try give my viewpoint
> about this question.
>
> [...]
>
> Returning to point, the main page for this two projects, are scripts
> that build the pages, where the sources are txt files easily
> translatable, and using the httpd negociation to present the content
> in the native language of user that is browsing the pages, or english,
> if haven't in his language. I think that a good strategy for RC,
> including respect for potencial users and volunteers. What you think?

It's basically the same answer as I just gave in the wiki page
translation discussion. When I look at the translation status of the
language packages of Roundcube itself, I see many of them having less
than 50% of the texts translated because somebody once contributed a
translation but then lost interest and stopped translating newly added
texts. And we actually don't want to follow that road with our
website.

Furthermore, the current Roundcube website is a very basic set of html
pages without a sophisticated CMS running the the background which
(Continue reading)

Claudio Filho | 18 Apr 19:19 2012

2012/4/17 Thomas Bruederli <thomas <at> roundcube.net>:
> It's basically the same answer as I just gave in the wiki page
> translation discussion. When I look at the translation status of the
> language packages of Roundcube itself, I see many of them having less
> than 50% of the texts translated because somebody once contributed a
> translation but then lost interest and stopped translating newly added
> texts. And we actually don't want to follow that road with our
> website.

Yes, i understood your viewpoint, Thomas, but also is a web of trust's
question, where you find interested people and gives privileges and
responsabilities proportional the merit of each one.

Anyway, i see that is necessary to do something like the Debian. See
this example:

http://www.debian.org/intro/about.pt.html

At top, says: "Nota: O documento original é mais novo que esta
tradução.", that in english (in a free translation) says: "Note: the
original document is more new that this translation.". This box
appears because the english commit have a number greater that in
portuguese version. (in true, have a trick in the header of pt file,
where says the version of en doc what its refers).

But i see that is good for this case (more yet if you have a small
number of pages). Or yet, is possible to do a small script to analyse
the version of html, or some thing like this.