Tristan | 15 Feb 18:09 2005
Picon

Firefox related problem

L.S.

I have a problem with the combination Squirrelmail 1.4.4 and Firefox 1.0, with all other browsers
(including Mozilla) my Squirrelmail setup works fine except when I login with Firefox it gives me
the classic: Error You must be logged in to access this page. After I try to do anything within
Squirrelmail, I don't get this error right away but only after an amount of time (a couple of
seconds), sometimes I manage to open 1 email or open a folder but nothing more.

I already did some testing, disabled all the plugins, worked with a vanilla Squirrelmail 1.4.4
downloaded a 1.5 CVS, removed all my virtual hosts except webmail.host.tld but no luck there. I
did discover however that my Squirrelmail works fine on host.tld/webmail it only has this problem
when accessed through webmail.host.tld.

There are some people at:
http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/en_US/CookieRequirement
Who seem to have the same problem and even coded workarounds to forward Firefox users to a
host.tld/webmail site in stead of the webmail.host.tld. This all seems to be a bit dirty to me,
there must be a better solution.

I'm very eager to solve this problem and do some testing logging etc, but right now I don't have
any idea where to look for clues (there are no strange errors in my Apache or UW Imap logs).

My setup consists of apache 1.3.27 with mod_php 4.3.1 on SuSE 8.2.

Regards,

Tristan

Jonathan Angliss | 15 Feb 18:21 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

> L.S.
>
> I have a problem with the combination Squirrelmail 1.4.4 and Firefox 1.0,
> with all other browsers (including Mozilla) my Squirrelmail setup works
> fine except when I login with Firefox it gives me the classic: Error You
> must be logged in to access this page. After I try to do anything within
> Squirrelmail, I don't get this error right away but only after an amount
> of time (a couple of seconds), sometimes I manage to open 1 email or open
> a folder but nothing more.
>
> I already did some testing, disabled all the plugins, worked with a
> vanilla Squirrelmail 1.4.4 downloaded a 1.5 CVS, removed all my virtual
> hosts except webmail.host.tld but no luck there. I did discover however
> that my Squirrelmail works fine on host.tld/webmail it only has this
> problem when accessed through webmail.host.tld.

Are you restricting what domains can send you cookies?  Maybe you didn't
add webmail.host.tld to the exceptions?  In Firefox, go to Tools, Options,
Privacy, and expand the cookies section.  Click on the "Exceptions"
button, and add the webmail.host.tld to the "Allow" option.

Jonathan Angliss
<jon <at> squirrelmail.org>

Tristan | 15 Feb 18:59 2005
Picon

Re: Firefox related problem

>> I have a problem with the combination Squirrelmail 1.4.4 and Firefox 1.0,
>> with all other browsers (including Mozilla) my Squirrelmail setup works
>> fine except when I login with Firefox it gives me the classic: Error You
>> must be logged in to access this page. After I try to do anything within
>> Squirrelmail, I don't get this error right away but only after an amount
>> of time (a couple of seconds), sometimes I manage to open 1 email or open
>> a folder but nothing more.
>>
>> I already did some testing, disabled all the plugins, worked with a
>> vanilla Squirrelmail 1.4.4 downloaded a 1.5 CVS, removed all my virtual
>> hosts except webmail.host.tld but no luck there. I did discover however
>> that my Squirrelmail works fine on host.tld/webmail it only has this
>> problem when accessed through webmail.host.tld.
>
> Are you restricting what domains can send you cookies?  Maybe you didn't
> add webmail.host.tld to the exceptions?  In Firefox, go to Tools, Options,
> Privacy, and expand the cookies section.  Click on the "Exceptions"
> button, and add the webmail.host.tld to the "Allow" option.

Thanks for your fast reply but nope, I'm not restricting anything, these are out of the box
Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered whatsoever.

Tristan

Chris Hilts | 15 Feb 19:03 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

> Thanks for your fast reply but nope, I'm not restricting anything, these
> are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
> whatsoever.

In that case, I'm unable to duplicate your trouble.  I've been using
SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
(Stable AND dev cvs)

Are you using some sort of cookie-crunching proxy, perhaps?

Chris Hilts
tassium <at> squirrelmail.org

Tristan | 15 Feb 19:19 2005
Picon

Re: Firefox related problem

>> Thanks for your fast reply but nope, I'm not restricting anything, these
>> are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
>> whatsoever.
>
> In that case, I'm unable to duplicate your trouble.  I've been using
> SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
> (Stable AND dev cvs)
>
> Are you using some sort of cookie-crunching proxy, perhaps?

Nope, I tested it on multipe pc's on multiple locations, they're all only behind a adsl-modem with
NAT. No proxies whatsoever I'm affraid. Can it be my Apache config or PHP version or config? It's
strange that other browsers don't have any problem with it though.

Tristan

Paul Lesneiwski | 15 Feb 21:02 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

Tristan wrote:
>>>Thanks for your fast reply but nope, I'm not restricting anything, these
>>>are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
>>>whatsoever.
>>
>>In that case, I'm unable to duplicate your trouble.  I've been using
>>SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
>>(Stable AND dev cvs)
>>
>>Are you using some sort of cookie-crunching proxy, perhaps?
>

> Nope, I tested it on multipe pc's on multiple locations, they're all only behind a adsl-modem with
> NAT. No proxies whatsoever I'm affraid. Can it be my Apache config or PHP version or config? It's
> strange that other browsers don't have any problem with it though.

It's not a solution to the problem per se, but you could always do a
permanent redirect of webmail.domain.com to go to domain.com in Apache:

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName webmail.domain.com
   Redirect permanent / http://domain.com
</VirtualHost>

Franki | 16 Feb 10:47 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

Tristan wrote:
>>>Thanks for your fast reply but nope, I'm not restricting anything, these
>>>are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
>>>whatsoever.
>>
>>In that case, I'm unable to duplicate your trouble.  I've been using
>>SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
>>(Stable AND dev cvs)
>>
>>Are you using some sort of cookie-crunching proxy, perhaps?
>

> Nope, I tested it on multipe pc's on multiple locations, they're all only behind a adsl-modem with
> NAT. No proxies whatsoever I'm affraid. Can it be my Apache config or PHP version or config? It's
> strange that other browsers don't have any problem with it though.
>
> Tristan

Can you setup a test account or something so that others here with
Firefox can take a look?
I suspect that we could find the issue.
(does the cookie try to set to the same domain you are accessing it
from? IE is it set to domain.com but you are using www.domain.com to
access it?)

Franki | 15 Feb 19:20 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

Chris Hilts wrote:
>>Thanks for your fast reply but nope, I'm not restricting anything, these
>>are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
>>whatsoever.
>

> In that case, I'm unable to duplicate your trouble.  I've been using
> SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
> (Stable AND dev cvs)
>
> Are you using some sort of cookie-crunching proxy, perhaps?

I can concur, I've been using firefox with sm for well over a year now..
never been a problem.

Barry Wong | 16 Feb 02:24 2005
Picon

Re: Firefox related problem

Franki wrote:

> Chris Hilts wrote:
>
>>> Thanks for your fast reply but nope, I'm not restricting anything,
>>> these
>>> are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
>>> whatsoever.
>>

>> In that case, I'm unable to duplicate your trouble.  I've been using
>> SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
>> (Stable AND dev cvs)
>>
>> Are you using some sort of cookie-crunching proxy, perhaps?
>>

> I can concur, I've been using firefox with sm for well over a year
> now.. never been a problem.

Tristan | 16 Feb 10:18 2005
Picon

Re: Firefox related problem

> Could it be that you unchecked Cookies  under Options? I had the same
> problem  which  was rectified when I went into Options, Privacy,
> Cookies, check Allow Sites and added my smtp address under Exceptions.

Nope I'm affraid I didn't change anything on all those Firefoxes they're all standard out of the
box Firefoxes, like I wrote earlier, thanks for you help though.

Tristan

Tristan Woudenberg | 16 Feb 11:49 2005
Picon

Re: Firefox related problem

are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
whatsoever.

>>>In that case, I'm unable to duplicate your trouble.  I've been using
SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
(Stable AND dev cvs)

> Can you setup a test account or something so that others here with Firefox
can take a look?
> I suspect that we could find the issue.
> (does the cookie try to set to the same domain you are accessing it from? IE
is it set to domain.com but you are using www.domain.com to access it?)

I did setup a test account on http://mail.prism.nl with the latest 1.5 cvs
(updated today) login sqtest testsq15. If you have time to test it please do,
I'll change the pw in a couple of days though. About the cookies, I get 2
cookies in Firefox, squirrelmail_language and SQMSESSID both from the
subdomain.host.tld not host.tld, seems to be correct, doesn't it?

Tristan

Paul Lesneiwski | 16 Feb 12:37 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

> I did setup a test account on http://mail.prism.nl with the latest 1.5 cvs
> (updated today) login sqtest testsq15. If you have time to test it please
> do,
> I'll change the pw in a couple of days though. About the cookies, I get 2
> cookies in Firefox, squirrelmail_language and SQMSESSID both from the
> subdomain.host.tld not host.tld, seems to be correct, doesn't it?

Logged in from here in Firefox just fine.

 -paul

Franki | 16 Feb 12:40 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

Paul Lesneiwski wrote:
>>I did setup a test account on http://mail.prism.nl with the latest 1.5 cvs
>>(updated today) login sqtest testsq15. If you have time to test it please
>>do,
>>I'll change the pw in a couple of days though. About the cookies, I get 2
>>cookies in Firefox, squirrelmail_language and SQMSESSID both from the
>>subdomain.host.tld not host.tld, seems to be correct, doesn't it?
>

> Logged in from here in Firefox just fine.
>
>  -paul

Yes, I could log in as well, its when I tried to use any of the menu
options that it showed the not logged in screen.
Try composing an email or something.

Marc Groot Koerkamp | 16 Feb 14:03 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

Tristan Woudenberg said:
> are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
> whatsoever.

> SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
> (Stable AND dev cvs)
>

>> Can you setup a test account or something so that others here with
>> Firefox
>>
> can take a look?
>> I suspect that we could find the issue.
>> (does the cookie try to set to the same domain you are accessing it
>> from? IE
> is it set to domain.com but you are using www.domain.com to access it?)
>
> I did setup a test account on http://mail.prism.nl with the latest 1.5
> cvs (updated today) login sqtest testsq15. If you have time to test it
> please do, I'll change the pw in a couple of days though. About the
> cookies, I get 2 cookies in Firefox, squirrelmail_language and SQMSESSID
> both from the subdomain.host.tld not host.tld, seems to be correct,
> doesn't it?

(Continue reading)

Tristan Woudenberg | 21 Feb 02:46 2005
Picon

Re: Firefox related problem

> I can confirm that the key cookie isn't set. I compared it with my 1.5.1
> cvs install and in my case the key cookie is set.
>
> When I compare the http headers I also see a difference.
>
> mail.prism.nl (i replaced certain version numbers with "x"):
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:21:47 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.xx (Linux/SuSE) mod_ssl/x.x.x OpenSSL/x.x.x PHP/4.3.1
>
> my server:
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:23:34 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Fedora)
>
> The difference is in the Set-cookie header and the Connection type.
(Continue reading)

Ben Holt | 21 Feb 03:48 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

Tristan Woudenberg wrote:
It gets more weird, when I do a clean install of SuSE 8.2 on my home server, with the same setup and apache php version it works fine with Firefox....
For the rest, i don't have a clue why it isn't working. Probably upgrading your php version would solve this. 4.3.1 is old. I'm using 4.3.10.
So it can't be it's a php version problem, I'm trying to think of the differences between the 2 boxes now but I can't think of anything, any clues?
In your situation I would be more interested in the difference in how firefox's configuration is effecting how it interacts with the two servers.  I would be very surprised if this is a server-side issue.

- Ben
Picon

Re: Firefox related problem

> I can confirm that the key cookie isn't set. I compared it with my 1.5.1
> cvs install and in my case the key cookie is set.
>
> When I compare the http headers I also see a difference.
>
> mail.prism.nl (i replaced certain version numbers with "x"):
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:21:47 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.xx (Linux/SuSE) mod_ssl/x.x.x OpenSSL/x.x.x PHP/4.3.1
>
> my server:
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:23:34 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Fedora)
>
> The difference is in the Set-cookie header and the Connection type.
> Another thing I notice in the Set-Cookie header is that it's not conform
> rfc2109. It's missing the required version attribute.
>
> The weird thing is that IE works.

It gets more weird, when I do a clean install of SuSE 8.2 on my home server,
with the same setup and apache php version it works fine with Firefox....

> For the rest, i don't have a clue why it isn't working. Probably upgrading
> your php version would solve this. 4.3.1 is old. I'm using 4.3.10.

So it can't be it's a php version problem, I'm trying to think of the
differences between the 2 boxes now but I can't think of anything, any clues?

Tristan

Caleb Phillips | 16 Feb 19:42 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

> I did setup a test account on http://mail.prism.nl with the latest 1.5 cvs

I got the same (weird) result as others:

Firefox 1.0 - Doesn't work
IE          - Works

Can you upgrade php? That is what I would try next...

Good Luck

--
Caleb Phillips
IT Specialist

Franki | 16 Feb 12:36 2005

Re: Firefox related problem

Tristan Woudenberg wrote:

> are out of the box Firefoxes without any extensions or settings altered
> whatsoever.

> SquirrelMail with Firefox for ages without any special hacks required.
> (Stable AND dev cvs)
>
>>Can you setup a test account or something so that others here with Firefox
>
> can take a look?
>
>>I suspect that we could find the issue.
>>(does the cookie try to set to the same domain you are accessing it from? IE
>
> is it set to domain.com but you are using www.domain.com to access it?)
>
> I did setup a test account on http://mail.prism.nl with the latest 1.5 cvs
> (updated today) login sqtest testsq15. If you have time to test it please do,
> I'll change the pw in a couple of days though. About the cookies, I get 2
> cookies in Firefox, squirrelmail_language and SQMSESSID both from the
> subdomain.host.tld not host.tld, seems to be correct, doesn't it?
>
> Tristan

I think you are missing a cookie..
I don't have the CVS SQ, so I can't comment, but my own install shows a
"key" cookie that logging into your sq didn't give me.
I also have a cookie path set and you don't, but that shouldn't make a
difference.
On the other hand, you have the squirrelmail_language cookie and I do
not.  (I have SQ 1.4.3)