Jonathan E. Brickman | 19 Mar 00:26 2005

Impressions, Hohner Echo Celeste

Well, my Hohner Echo Celeste in E arrived yesterday.  I'll be writing a formal review for the web shortly.  This is for now:

1.  This is a magnificent instrument.

2.  It is solo-tuned!!!!  Full-scale-tuned !!!!!!!!   God is good, and the Hohner people have listened!!!  My E major came with a paper insert which is probably sent with all Hohner Echo Celestes, and the following diagram appears:

This diagram is an exact match for the solo-tuning diagram in the middle of Pat Missin's missive on tremolo tuning, which is here:

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q15.html

Hooray!  Three cheers for Hohner!!!!!!!

3.  I find it to be generally superior to all other tremolos I have used, including Tombo 3121, Tombo 1521, Suzuki Humming, Huang Musette, and even my sweet little Brelli.  I am shocked and amazed and delighted.  It is built well, with visibly greater precision and care than Suzuki Humming and 3121.  It is aesthetically pleasing in all respects.

4.  It is also a 24-note instrument, and is therefore (to my knowledge) the only 24-note tremolo on the market today available in all of the 12 major keys.

5.  Its tonal response on the low end is truly beautiful: it is far and wide the best in tremolo tone quality I have ever heard of in the low end, and in fact, I am going to have to revise all of the reviews on the web site to reflect this simple fact.  Its tone quality in the middle and high ends is excellent too.

6.  It was shipped in a very durable and useful case, looks like strong nylon fabric reinforced, and closes with a good zipper, which reminds my wife of certain kinds of cell-phone cases.

7.  There is only one item which may be a minor downside for some: although it is capable of substantially more volume than Merano, it is not as loud as anything I have used from Tombo, Suzuki, Huang, or Brelli.  But I like it better this way.  I can control the loudness far, far more than any other tremolo I have used.  Thus it ends up being a better instrument both for individual play and practice and for performance, which these days is just about always amplified, in which case I want maximum control and to be not limited to the range of medium-to-very-loud volume.

8.  It is probably made of less thick metal than the Tombo 1521: it is not as heavy than the 1521, which is quite unexpectedly heavy for its size.  But this may end up being a plus.  Heavier weight is often greater fragility in a precision-made metal object.

9.  It has a new hole-numbering system which I don't understand yet, represented by the topmost row of numbers in the diagram above, which does partly refer to the holes on a regular Hohner Blues Band.  There is also some hole-number-based music packaged with the instrument.  So I think that this is, more or less, a reinvention of the harmonica number system for solo-tuned tremolo.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
America!  Bless God!!!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Attachment (Friday, March 18, 2005.max): application/octet-stream, 6326 bytes
Russ Gaippe | 19 Mar 13:42 2005
Picon

Re: Impressions, Hohner Echo Celeste

Jonathan,

What am I missing here? Why are the numbers marking 4 holes?

Russ

"Jonathan E. Brickman" <jbrickman <at> joshuacorps.org> wrote:
[...]

Yahoo! Groups Links
Jonathan E. Brickman | 20 Mar 01:16 2005

Re: Impressions, Hohner Echo Celeste

Jonathan,

What am I missing here? Why are the numbers marking 4 holes?

Russ
Two different reasons combined.

1.  In the tremolo design, each vertical pair of holes refers to the same identical note.  Each one of a vertical pair is off-tuned just a wee bit, but they are in fact the same note according to the standard scale.  That makes two holes per number.  Then add rule 2...

2.  In ten/twelve-holers, each single hole does two notes: one draw, one blow.  Tremolo is different: in tremolo, one hole does exactly one note, either draw, or blow, not both.

So if one wants to help ten/twelve-holer players adapt to tremolo, using the numbering system they are used to, one must not only use two horizontally-paired holes per number (one draw, one blow), but that horizontal pair must be doubled vertically, because of the tremolo off-tuning.

On the whole [!], I think it's a very good idea.  I do think this tremolo numbering system is a new Hohner invention; the Echo Celeste as a whole seems to be the result of much new thought.  I will be curious to find out how it works for ten/twelvers, over time.  If anyone comes up with some number-system song sheets for me to put up on the web site, I will be very happy to do it!

As for me, I learned intuitionally from the beginning, and I'm a-gonna stick with it! :)

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
America!  Bless God!!!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Ong Kelven | 19 Mar 17:43 2005
Picon

Re: Impressions, Hohner Echo Celeste

Hi Jonathan,
May I know which online shop did you order the Hohner Echo Celeste.
Thank you.

Ong Kelven

> [...]
>represented by the topmost row of numbers in the diagram above, which does
>partly refer to the holes on a regular Hohner Blues Band.  There is also
>some hole-number-based music packaged with the instrument.  So I think that
>this is, more or less, a reinvention of the harmonica number system for
>solo-tuned tremolo.
>
>--
>Jonathan E. Brickman
>America!  Bless God!!!
>

>Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

>    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
>

>Russ Gaippe
>http://www.geocities.com/coolharp <at> prodigy.net
>http://www.geocities.com/harpin_russ
>Visit the Coast to Coast Music Harmonica Store at:
>http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart?mv_pc=AFL3362

>  Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!

Get cheap fares online with MSN Travel http://www.msn.com.sg/travel/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/pKxVKC/UOnJAA/n1hLAA/DoLolB/TM

Jonathan E. Brickman | 19 Mar 23:19 2005

Re: Impressions, Hohner Echo Celeste

Hi Jonathan, May I know which online shop did you order the Hohner Echo Celeste. Thank you. Ong Kelven
Oops!  Sorry, that should have gone out first.  Coast to Coast Music.  Their web page direct to the Hohner Echo Celeste is here:

http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/HH455.html

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
America!  Bless God!!!