Bill Trigg | 13 May 18:51 2008
Picon

Robert Rauschenberg passed away yesterday

Rod Stasick | 13 May 22:39 2008

Re: Robert Rauschenberg passed away yesterday

Thanks Bill (and Ralph too).

Just Thursday night, over Indian food in a DC restaurant,
I was talking about him and this lawsuit concerning his Captiva
neighbor who went thru his (R.R.) garbage and began selling
his throwaways as Rauschenberg's art.

He died on Buddha's birthday.

All of my Buddhas are dying...

R~~

---
Now playing: Joseph Beuys & Nam June Paik - In Memoriam George Maciunas 1931-1978

Rod Stasick | 17 May 17:22 2008

David Byrne on Rauschenberg

http://tinyurl.com/5tcalr

If you've never seen the LP that he's talking about,
I've reproduced it here:

http://stasick.org/BRTH.jpg

Because it was BR and it was sure to be a limited pressing I got at least 3 copies of this.

R~~

---
Now playing: Jazz Dazzlers - de Makebam

Ars Telematica | 18 May 15:31 2008
Picon

Scores...

Hi, excuse my english.
I need a list of book (or links) talking about scores like Earle Brown, of course Cage, etc.
Experimental scores, contemporary scores (not "academic" scores).
Books with a lot of images.
Thanks to all.

Marcelo

Tarjeta de crédito Yahoo! de Banco Supervielle. Solicitá tu nueva Tarjeta de crédito. De tu PC directo a tu casa.
Visitá www.tuprimeratarjeta.com.ar

Cornelius Dufallo | 18 May 17:47 2008
Picon

Re: Scores...

Dear Marcelo,

You asked about books about experimental music. This
is just the "tip of the iceberg," but here are some of
my favorites:

Books and Theses:

DeLio, Thomas. Circumscribing the Open Universe.
Lanham, MD: University Press of America, Inc., 1989.

Dufallo, Cornelius. "The Indeterminate Violin: A
Pedagogical Approach to Indeterminacy in the Violin
Repertoire." D.M.A Document, The Juilliard School,
2002.

Johnson, Steven, ed. The New York Schools of Music and
Visual Arts. New York: Routledge, 2002.

McBride, Jerry L. "Indeterminacy in Music: An
Annotated Bibliography of Writings in English." M.L.S.
Thesis, Kent State University, 1979.

Nyman, Michael. Experimental Music: Cage and Beyond.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1974.

Wolff, Christian. Cues: Writings and Conversations.
Cologne: Edition MusikTexte, 1998.

Periodicals:

Behrman, David. "What Indeterminate Notation
Determines." Perspectives of New Music 3
(Spring-Summer 1965): 58-73.

Boulez, Pierre. "Alea." Translated by David Noakes and
Paul Jacobs. Perspectives of New Music 3 (Fall-Winter
1964): 42-53.

Brown, Earle. "The Notation and Performance of New
Music." The Musical Quarterly 72, No. 2 (1986):
180-201.

Dufallo, Cornelius. “The Aesthetic of Impermanence: A
Performer’s Perspective of Four Systems and Tracer.”
Contemporary Music Review (Volume 26 Parts 3 and 4,
2007).

Reynolds, Roger. "Indeterminacy: Some Considerations.
Perspectives of New Music 4 (Fall-Winter 1965):
136-140.

Wolff, Christian. "New and Electronic Music." In
Writings about John Cage, ed. Richard Kostelantetz,
85-92. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1993.

--- Ars Telematica <arstelematica <at> yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> Hi, excuse my english.
>   I need a list of book (or links) talking about
> scores like Earle Brown, of course Cage, etc.
>   Experimental scores, contemporary scores (not
> "academic" scores).
>   Books with a lot of images.
>   Thanks to all.
>
>   Marcelo

http://list.mail.virginia.edu/pipermail/silence/

www.corneliusdufallo.com

Thomas Moore | 18 May 18:03 2008

Re: Scores...

On 5/18/08 11:47 AM, "Cornelius Dufallo" <dufallo <at> yahoo.com> wrote:

> Books and Theses:
>
> DeLio, Thomas. Circumscribing the Open Universe.
> Lanham, MD: University Press of America, Inc., 1989.

This is one of the most significant books that has emerged on contemporary music. DeLio's ability to write clearly, concisely and with great perspicacity on the the music of Cage, Feldman and others is remarkable, and I know first hand that John deeply admired his work. DeLio's Contiguous Lines: Issues and Ideas in the Music of the '60's and '70's, with essays by Christian Wolff, Alvin Lucier, Pozzi Escot, Robert Cogan and others is also invaluable.

Tom Moore

--

Thomas Moore
Director, Arts & Culture

Lê Quan Ninh | 19 May 11:22 2008
Picon

Re: Scores...

I would add :

Alvin Lucier, Reflectsions : Interviews, Scores, Writings 1965-1995
publisher MusikTexte - Cologne, ISBN 3-9803151-2-6

Ninh

-------------------------------
Lê Quan Ninh
La Blanchette
F-23140 St-Silvain-sous-Toulx
Tél : +33 (0)9 52 60 70 66

http://www.lequanninh.net
http://www.ensemble-hiatus.eu
http://www.quatuorhelios.net
http://www.maxobjects.com

Ermes Rosina | 19 May 11:43 2008
Picon

Re: Scores...

I would suggest

Sutherland, Roger (1994). New perspectives in music, London: Sun Tavern Fields. ISBN 0-9517012-6-6.

"An account of the more radical innovations that have taken place in music since 1945, including electronic composition, musique concrète, minimalism, improvisation and computer music. The book is divided into three sections: The European avant-garde, dealing with Russolo, Webern, serialism, electronic music, music and speech, Stockhausen, Xenakis, Nono, and Parmegiani; The American experimentalists, covering Cowell, Cage, graphics and indeterminacy, live electronic music, and systems music; and Transatlantic perspectives - intermedia, improvised music, imaginary orchestras, and sound sculptures and invented instruments. The book concludes with a general bibliography, biographies, a select bibliography of individual composers, and a shortlist of recommended recordings"

ciao Ninh!
best wishes to all!

ermes

Alvin Lucier, Reflectsions : Interviews, Scores, Writings 1965-1995
publisher MusikTexte - Cologne, ISBN 3-9803151-2-6

Ninh

-------------------------------
Lê Quan Ninh
La Blanchette
F-23140 St-Silvain-sous-Toulx
Tél : +33 (0)9 52 60 70 66

http://www.lequanninh.net
http://www.ensemble-hiatus.eu
http://www.quatuorhelios.net
http://www.maxobjects.com

Ralph Lichtensteiger | 19 May 14:28 2008
Picon

Re: Scores...

I would suggest

Books:
- Stone, Kurt. Music Notation in the Twentieth Century. Norton, New York, 1980
- Tisano, Theresa Sauer (2008). Notations21. New York: Mark Batty Publisher.
- Cage, J. and Knowles, A. (1973). Notations. Reprint Services Corp.
- Brown, Earle. The notation and performance of new music. Musical Quarterly 1986
- Nyman, Michael. Experimental Music. Cage and Beyond (1974)
- Partch, Harry. The Genesis of a Music
- von der Weid, Jean-Noel. Die Musik des 20. Jahrhunderts (La Musique du XXe siècle)

Gallery of Graphic Musical Notation
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/01/gallery_of_musi.html

[PDF] Intuitive Music and Graphic Notation
by Carl Bergstrøm-Nielsen, Aalborg University.

The New Musical Notation: A Graphic Art? By John Evarts
JSTOR: Leonardo, Vol. 1, No. 4 (Oct., 1968 ), pp. 405-412

Rod Stasick | 19 May 15:47 2008

Re: Scores...

I'd highly recommend Boguslaw Schaeffer's book "Wstep do kompozycji" /
"Introduction to Composition".
It's not at all as dry as the title sounds. It's filled with literally
hundreds of graphic scores alone (with titles, dates)
with a reference booklet in the back pocket that gives more info. The
booklet comes in two versions: English and Polish.
The main part of the book needs no translation.

R~~

---
Now playing: Refik Fersan - Rüzgar Uyumus¸

http://www.last.fm/user/rostasi