Jonathan Smith | 5 Mar 04:58 2012
Picon

Ginger Baker film

This has been in the works for a while.

Cream drummer Ginger Baker will be the subject of an upcoming film, “Beware of Mr. Baker.”

After his stint from 1966-68 in Cream, Baker later joined the supergroup Blind Faith then led the fusion-rock band Ginger Baker’s Air Force. He’s also worked with Atomic Rooster, Bill Frisell, Bill Laswell, Charlie Haden, Masters of Reality, Public Image Ltd., and BBM, with fellow Cream alum Jack Bruce and Irish blues-rock guitarist Gary Moore.

Writer/producer Jay Bulger traveled to South Africa in search of the reclusive legend, who has spent the last decade largely out of sight. Bulger spent three months working on an article called “In Search of Ginger Baker,” which eventually became the underpinnings of this new movie project. Filming was done in the Spring of 2010, when Bulger returned with a small crew.

It must have been this that Bill Laswell was talking about: "...and just go record by record. It happens. I just did one for a friend of mine who is doing a film on [Cream drummer] Ginger Baker, and I’m looking at this piece to put a piece of music in. It’s just me talking about going to Italy and finding Ginger, and I was asked to go there by John Lydon, and I found him in the mountains ... it’s a cool story."

Should be interesting. Baker, is by all accounts a brilliant drummer but... enough said.

__._,_.___

The Bill Laswell mailing list - Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

__,_._,___
Brian Morrissey | 5 Mar 19:35 2012
Picon

Re: Ginger Baker film

There is an article in Sunday's Washington Post's magazine section about the film and it's maker, Jay Bulger. Laswell is quoted about how he found out about Fela from Baker. A possible future film about Laswell is also mentioned.  Brian
[...]

wtmdmm@juno.com | 5 Mar 23:34 2012
Picon

Re: Ginger Baker film

I've been hoping this film would be out & available here in the U.S. at some point.

[...]

57 Year Old Looks 27
Local Woman Reveals Wrinkle Secret That Has Doctors Angry.
TheSmartStyleLiving.com
cha2uke | 6 Mar 21:13 2012
Picon

Re: Ginger Baker film

The chazuke had the remarkable opportunity for an audition, some personal talks, with the man, with the
legendary drummer from Cream. The only murmured replies to suggestions like, wasn't bad stuff this
Horses and Trees stuff and Imabari 1991 and all, how didya like that, was "yeah, Coward of the County became
a good record" and "yeah, Bill Frisell's an ok guitarist (lights a cigarette)" ... However, Ginger
Baker's recent performances with Jonas still had it, and hope is for lots more, and give a damn for what's
talked and written. (lighting cigarette)

--- In laswell <at> yahoogroups.com, "wtmdmm <at> ..." <wtmdmm <at> ...> wrote:

> I've been hoping this film would be out & available here in the U.S. at some point.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2012/03/02/new-film-focusing-on-legendary-cream-drummer-ginger-baker-in-the-works/
Cream drummer Ginger Baker will be the subject of an upcoming film, &#65533;Beware of Mr. Baker.&#65533;
> After his stint from 1966-68 in Cream, Baker later joined the supergroup Blind Faith then led the
fusion-rock band Ginger Baker&#65533;s Air Force. He&#65533;s also worked with Atomic Rooster, Bill
Frisell, Bill Laswell, Charlie Haden, Masters of Reality, Public Image Ltd., and BBM, with fellow Cream
alum Jack Bruce and Irish blues-rock guitarist Gary Moore.

> Writer/producer Jay Bulger traveled to South Africa in search of the reclusive legend, who has spent the
last decade largely out of sight. Bulger spent three months working on an article called &#65533;In
Search of Ginger Baker,&#65533; which eventually became the underpinnings of this new movie project.
Filming was done in the Spring of 2010, when Bulger returned with a small crew.
>  It must have been this that Bill Laswell was&#65533;talking&#65533;about: "...and just go record by
record. It happens. I just did one for a&#65533;friend of mine who is doing a film on [Cream drummer] Ginger
Baker, and I&#65533;m looking at this piece to put a piece of music in. It&#65533;s just me talking
about&#65533;going to Italy and finding Ginger, and I was asked to go there by John Lydon, and I found him in
the mountains ... it&#65533;s a cool story." Should&#65533;be&#65533;interesting. Baker, is by all
accounts a brilliant drummer but... enough said.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    laswell-digest <at> yahoogroups.com
    laswell-fullfeatured <at> yahoogroups.com

    laswell-unsubscribe <at> yahoogroups.com

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Jonathan Smith | 7 Mar 01:39 2012
Picon

Re: Re: Ginger Baker film

I have been hearing about the making of this film for a while. Baker is certainly a character. One about Bill Laswell would certainly be welcome too.

What about Baker's work with Frisell? I don't know that.

On 7 March 2012 04:13, cha2uke <cha2uke <at> yahoo.com> wrote:

The chazuke had the remarkable opportunity for an audition, some personal talks, with the man, with the legendary drummer from Cream. The only murmured replies to suggestions like, wasn't bad stuff this Horses and Trees stuff and Imabari 1991 and all, how didya like that, was "yeah, Coward of the County became a good record" and "yeah, Bill Frisell's an ok guitarist (lights a cigarette)" ... However, Ginger Baker's recent performances with Jonas still had it, and hope is for lots more, and give a damn for what's talked and written. (lighting cigarette)

--- In laswell <at> yahoogroups.com, "wtmdmm <at> ..." <wtmdmm <at> ...> wrote:

> I've been hoping this film would be out & available here in the U.S. at some point.

__._,_.___

The Bill Laswell mailing list - Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

__,_._,___
wtmdmm@juno.com | 7 Mar 05:47 2012
Picon

Re: Re: Ginger Baker film

I like "characters" which is partly why I'm interested in a film on GB - not necessarily that he's going to provide some clear, cogent musical history. Of course it would be nice if it involves some info on his work but he seems to be a bit of a curmudgeon & contrarian type. As well as someone who's indulged in many things during his career & may not have clear memories on alot of things.

I have been hearing�about�the making of this film for a while. Baker is& #65533;certainly�a�character. One about Bill Laswell would�certainly�be welcome too.

What about Baker's work with Frisell? I don't know that.

On 7 March 2012 04:13, cha2uke <cha2uke <at> yahoo.com> wrote:

The chazuke had the remarkable opportunity for an audition, some personal talks, with the man, with the legendary drummer from Cream. The only murmured replies to suggestions like, wasn't bad stuff this Horses and Trees stuff and Imabari 1991 and all, how didya like that, was "yeah, Coward of th e County became a good record" and "yeah, Bill Frisell's an ok guitarist (lights a cigarette)" ... However, Ginger Baker's recent performances with Jonas still had it, and hope is for lots more, and give a damn for what's talked and written. (lighting cigarette)

--- In laswell <at> yahoogroups.com, "wtmdmm <at> ..." <wtmdmm <at> ...> wrote:

> I've been hoping this film would be out & available here in the U.S. at some point.

iv>

__._,_.___

The Bill Laswell mailing list - Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

__,_._,___

The New "Skinny" Fruit
How This Strange 62-Cent African Fruit Is Making Americans Skinny.
HLifestyles.com
Jonathan Smith | 7 Mar 06:06 2012
Picon

Re: Re: Ginger Baker film

I don't know that much about him but  curmudgeon & contrarian sounds like a good description. I can see why somebody might get obsessed about making a documentary about him. He has lived in many places and is a man who carries pepper spray to defend himself against people he has offended!

I have heard people talking about working with him it is usually, "He was excellent drummer  but......"

On 7 March 2012 12:47, wtmdmm <at> juno.com <wtmdmm <at> juno.com> wrote:
curmudgeon & contrarian

The Bill Laswell mailing list - Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Gmane