FM | 5 Jul 15:59 2010
Picon

Mixed Results

Had a fun weekend  !
Managed to Flash 2 built in Nics.

One was a Shuttle S40G  Socket A   with  Realtek 8139,  and  a Via Rhine
II in a  Via socket 754 board.

The bios on the Shuttle  is only 256kb and  55.5kb was the Maximum size
that I could replace  the original  PCI  ether lom with.

I wasn't  sure what to strip with rom-o-matic   , but if I remember
correctly it was  all the wireless, sans boot, iscsi, comboot and
Multiboot.
I left HTTPS selected on both boards,  this might have increased the
size.  I still havn't got around to  HTTPS on my setup yet.

My basic setup is  /var/www/slitaz/ directory with the kernel, initrd
there.      This is super easy to extract from the iso and use for
testing.  It's a little richer than Tinycore , but that works well to.

Results

The Shuttle box booted and kept the internet connection .  The startup
ip was  192.168.0.20 and it retained that ip  and could connect to to
the net  from the server . The Slitaz  network config tool gave it
192.168.0.6  route 192.168.0.1 dns 192.168.0.1 , but it works.

The Via board with the  Via Rhine II nic    can't connect to the net  or
ping anything  after booting.    I tried to re-assign the 192.168.0.28
ip  from  the gpxe  config settings  , but it doesn't activate.