Tanya Pyatigorskaya | 16 Oct 21:58 2011
Picon

Filesharing application for Freenet

Hi guys,

I would like to say hello to all of you after my rather long absence. I have been working on the task "filesharing application for freenet" due gsoc 2010. Than I had to postpone my Freenet activities due to personal circumstances. Now I am back, and I am happy to be able to continue my work on my Freenet task. This application allows

- select files/directories to be shared and tag them for search;

- search file indexes published by other users (effectively view of WoT filtered by filesharing context);

- manage trust settings for other user identities (using WoT).

Since I was out of the day-to-day work in the community for quite a long period of time, what I need now is to become up to date and to join efficient development ASAP. May I ask you to let me know whether this task is still interesting for Freenet? Which details of the task should I consider to be of most help? Who is working on something similar, and whom should I contact to combine our efforts for quicker and better results? Certainly I would be grateful for any other relative suggestions, advices and considerations.

Thank you very much for your time!

Best regards,
Tatyana Pyatigorskaya aka nikotyan

Arne Babenhauserheide | 16 Oct 22:19 2011
Picon

Re: Filesharing application for Freenet

Am Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2011, 23:58:13 schrieb Tanya Pyatigorskaya:
> Now I am back, and I am happy to be able to continue my work
> on my Freenet task.

Welcome back!

> Since I was out of the day-to-day work in the community for quite a long
> period of time, what I need now is to become up to date and to join
> efficient development ASAP. May I ask you to let me know whether this task
> is still interesting for Freenet?

Hell yes!

> Who is working on something similar, and whom
> should I contact to combine our efforts for quicker and better results?

What would overally be most interesting (I think) is integration of uploads
with Freetalk and Sone: Write a post with attached files. The files then get
uploaded and as soon as they are done, the post gets published.

What I myself need the most is: Select 30 files and have them put into the
upload queue 3-5 at a time. Followed automatically by a post in Freetalk *and*
Sone with the files at the end of the post.

All that as Freenet plugin, integrated into the web interface.

What I don’t need yet is searching. Once we have enough material, it would be
cool, though.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Ich hab' nichts zu verbergen – hab ich gedacht:

- http://draketo.de/licht/lieder/ich-hab-nichts-zu-verbergen

Matthew Toseland | 17 Oct 00:25 2011

On Sunday 16 Oct 2011 20:58:13 Tanya Pyatigorskaya wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to say hello to all of you after my rather long absence. I have
> been working on the task "filesharing application for freenet" due gsoc
> 2010. Than I had to postpone my Freenet activities due to personal
> circumstances. Now I am back, and I am happy to be able to continue my work
> on my Freenet task. This application allows
>
> - select files/directories to be shared and tag them for search;
>
> - search file indexes published by other users (effectively view of WoT
> filtered by filesharing context);
> - manage trust settings for other user identities (using WoT).
>
> Since I was out of the day-to-day work in the community for quite a long
> period of time, what I need now is to become up to date and to join
> efficient development ASAP. May I ask you to let me know whether this task
> is still interesting for Freenet? Which details of the task should I
> consider to be of most help? Who is working on something similar, and whom
> should I contact to combine our efforts for quicker and better results?
> Certainly I would be grateful for any other relative suggestions, advices
> and considerations.
>
> Thank you very much for your time!
>
> Best regards,
> Tatyana Pyatigorskaya aka nikotyan

It is undoubtedly interesting, please press on!

My view is that insert-on-demand isn't all that urgent, and when you do do it you'll need to be rather careful
with it for security reasons. On the other hand, data persistence is less than perfect and filesharers
habitually reinsert so you'll need something eventually.

But maintaining an index of your files and searching others' indexes is core functionality. There are ways
to optimise it quite dramatically, e.g. fetching the top and bloom filters for each identity, but these
can wait if need be. The other core issue is how to handle spam/poisoning attacks - the WoT should make this
easy, but you will need to provide UI. It looks like you're on top of all these issues, so I wish you every
possible luck!

My own involvement in Freenet at the moment is rather limited at the moment due to academic commitments, but
hope to see you around!
Tanya Pyatigorskaya | 17 Oct 21:50 2011
Picon

Re: Filesharing application for Freenet

Thanks guys for your responses, it's really important for me!
I would determine more precisely what I want to create in a next few days and would consult with you after it

Best regards,
nikotyan

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Matthew Toseland <toad <at> amphibian.dyndns.org> wrote:
On Sunday 16 Oct 2011 20:58:13 Tanya Pyatigorskaya wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to say hello to all of you after my rather long absence. I have
> been working on the task "filesharing application for freenet" due gsoc
> 2010. Than I had to postpone my Freenet activities due to personal
> circumstances. Now I am back, and I am happy to be able to continue my work
> on my Freenet task. This application allows
>
> - select files/directories to be shared and tag them for search;
>
> - search file indexes published by other users (effectively view of WoT
> filtered by filesharing context);
> - manage trust settings for other user identities (using WoT).
>
> Since I was out of the day-to-day work in the community for quite a long
> period of time, what I need now is to become up to date and to join
> efficient development ASAP. May I ask you to let me know whether this task
> is still interesting for Freenet? Which details of the task should I
> consider to be of most help? Who is working on something similar, and whom
> should I contact to combine our efforts for quicker and better results?
> Certainly I would be grateful for any other relative suggestions, advices
> and considerations.
>
> Thank you very much for your time!
>
> Best regards,
> Tatyana Pyatigorskaya aka nikotyan

It is undoubtedly interesting, please press on!

My view is that insert-on-demand isn't all that urgent, and when you do do it you'll need to be rather careful with it for security reasons. On the other hand, data persistence is less than perfect and filesharers habitually reinsert so you'll need something eventually.

But maintaining an index of your files and searching others' indexes is core functionality. There are ways to optimise it quite dramatically, e.g. fetching the top and bloom filters for each identity, but these can wait if need be. The other core issue is how to handle spam/poisoning attacks - the WoT should make this easy, but you will need to provide UI. It looks like you're on top of all these issues, so I wish you every possible luck!

My own involvement in Freenet at the moment is rather limited at the moment due to academic commitments, but hope to see you around!

Steve Dougherty | 20 Nov 23:10 2011

Re: Filesharing application for Freenet

Have you made progress on writing up your ideas? I'm eager to help.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Matthew Toseland <toad-EI5O+8PHWbJeeLb3ft/vUmD2FQJk+8+b@public.gmane.org> wrote:
On Sunday 16 Oct 2011 20:58:13 Tanya Pyatigorskaya wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I would like to say hello to all of you after my rather long absence. I have
> been working on the task "filesharing application for freenet" due gsoc
> 2010. Than I had to postpone my Freenet activities due to personal
> circumstances. Now I am back, and I am happy to be able to continue my work
> on my Freenet task. This application allows
>
> - select files/directories to be shared and tag them for search;
>
> - search file indexes published by other users (effectively view of WoT
> filtered by filesharing context);
> - manage trust settings for other user identities (using WoT).
>
> Since I was out of the day-to-day work in the community for quite a long
> period of time, what I need now is to become up to date and to join
> efficient development ASAP. May I ask you to let me know whether this task
> is still interesting for Freenet? Which details of the task should I
> consider to be of most help? Who is working on something similar, and whom
> should I contact to combine our efforts for quicker and better results?
> Certainly I would be grateful for any other relative suggestions, advices
> and considerations.
>
> Thank you very much for your time!
>
> Best regards,
> Tatyana Pyatigorskaya aka nikotyan

It is undoubtedly interesting, please press on!

My view is that insert-on-demand isn't all that urgent, and when you do do it you'll need to be rather careful with it for security reasons. On the other hand, data persistence is less than perfect and filesharers habitually reinsert so you'll need something eventually.

But maintaining an index of your files and searching others' indexes is core functionality. There are ways to optimise it quite dramatically, e.g. fetching the top and bloom filters for each identity, but these can wait if need be. The other core issue is how to handle spam/poisoning attacks - the WoT should make this easy, but you will need to provide UI. It looks like you're on top of all these issues, so I wish you every possible luck!

My own involvement in Freenet at the moment is rather limited at the moment due to academic commitments, but hope to see you around!

Steve Dougherty | 17 Oct 16:34 2011

Re: Filesharing application for Freenet

Welcome back!

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Tanya Pyatigorskaya
<nekotanik@...> wrote:
> May I ask you to let me know whether this task is still interesting for Freenet?

Indeed it is! I introduced someone used to Vuze to Freenet, and the
lack of this kind of functionality was glaring.

> Which details of the task should I consider to be of most help?

If I understand your question correctly, I'd say "search file indexes
published by other users."

> Who is working on something similar, and whom should I contact to combine our efforts for quicker and
better results?

I can't work on it currently because I'm in college courses, but
something like this was my plan for the summer. (And hopefully
Thanksgiving/Winter break as well.) I'd love to help with this. Please
let me know how I can get involved.

-operhiem1
Tanya Pyatigorskaya | 24 Nov 21:19 2011
Picon

Re: Filesharing application for Freenet

Steve, now I'm writing my master's thesis.
Initially it was devoted to file searching application which would provide search mechanism via new format indexes
Now I'm writing a spam-proof,user-friendly application which allows users to share their indexes, maintain them and download others using special NNTP messages. It operates NNTP messages using FMS like NNTP bridge.
e.g. user chooses what files he wants to insert in Freenet, add metainformation it and click add. After it special xml message is generated and inserted into  FMS, files are queued to be inserted into Freenet. Other users can see that such index appeared. Also it allows to trust or not to trust index-creators and their opinion about other people (as it is done in FMS) to provide users from spam . It would look like something like Thaw, something like FMS.
If you are interested in it I can give more details =)

Best regards,
nikotyan

Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 19:30:13 +0000
From: Matthew Toseland <toad-EI5O+8PHWbJeeLb3ft/vUmD2FQJk+8+b@public.gmane.org>
To: Discussion of development issues <devl-RdDMkVZAZeuJnvDnx1genB2eb7JE58TQ@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: [freenet-dev] Group Official Plugins

On Tuesday 08 Nov 2011 05:42:52 David ?Bombe? Roden wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> > Looks good. I wonder if perhaps the final group should be called "File
> > Sharing" instead of "File Transfer"?
>
> If only ?File Sharing? wouldn?t sound so illegal? :)

Ian is of the view that "filesharing" is legitimate, he made that clear some time back during a debate I think about searching. And clearly that is what ThawIndexBrowser does. (It's what quite a few so-far-lawful sites on the net do too, although some of them are having to introduce filtering etc).