LROUFAIL | 4 May 20:05 2005
Picon

2X

I ran across this today.

www.2x.com

They are selling some products based on NX technology.

From their website:

"2X TerminalServer is based on the open source NX X-Windows compression
protocol."

I haven't seen any press on this.  Are they building proprietary
technology around the OSS components, or are they licensing the
technology?

Are they competing directly with the nomachine proprietary server, or
reselling it?

Just curious.

- L
Colin McKinnon | 5 May 10:19 2005

Re: 2X

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 19:05, LROUFAIL <at> nc.rr.com wrote:
> I ran across this today.
>
> www.2x.com
>
> They are selling some products based on NX technology.

While FreeNX itself is GPL as I believe are the nomachine libraries it relies
on (which means they can charge for redistributing it, and supporting it).

I think their assertion that you don't require MS-Windows CALs for a thin
client is very dubious, as are some of the other claims on the site.

C.
John Nicholls | 5 May 10:56 2005
Picon

Re: 2X

I just checked the NoMachine partners link, I don't see them listed as a
partner.

I rest my case :^)

(unless they have not showed up yet)

On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 18:19, Colin McKinnon wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 May 2005 19:05, LROUFAIL <at> nc.rr.com wrote:
> > I ran across this today.
> >
> > www.2x.com
> >
> > They are selling some products based on NX technology.
> >

> While FreeNX itself is GPL as I believe are the nomachine libraries it relies
> on (which means they can charge for redistributing it, and supporting it).
>
> I think their assertion that you don't require MS-Windows CALs for a thin
> client is very dubious, as are some of the other claims on the site.
>
> C.
Paul van der Vlis | 9 May 11:14 2005
Picon

Re: 2X

Colin McKinnon schreef:
> On Wednesday 04 May 2005 19:05, LROUFAIL <at> nc.rr.com wrote:
>
>>I ran across this today.
>>
>>www.2x.com
>>
>>They are selling some products based on NX technology.
>
> While FreeNX itself is GPL as I believe are the nomachine libraries it relies
> on (which means they can charge for redistributing it, and supporting it).
>
> I think their assertion that you don't require MS-Windows CALs for a thin
> client is very dubious, as are some of the other claims on the site.

Why?  When you use a Linux desktop you don't need MS-Windows CALs.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.
Kurt Pfeifle | 6 May 13:27 2005
X-Face

Re: 2X

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 19:05, LROUFAIL <at> nc.rr.com wrote:
> I ran across this today.
>
> www.2x.com
>
> They are selling some products based on NX technology.

It looks like they are not yet ready with their product,
only with their advertisements. They are heavily advertising
since several months on OSnews.com and on kde-apps.org

> From their website:
>
> "2X TerminalServer is based on the open source NX X-Windows compression
> protocol."
>
> I haven't seen any press on this.  Are they building proprietary
> technology around the OSS components, or are they licensing the
> technology?

It looks they are licensing from NoMachine directly.

> Are they competing directly with the nomachine proprietary server, or
> reselling it?

It looks they are competing, while at the same time financing further
development by licensing the technology.