Sonic SNES | 21 Jul 03:51 2011
Picon

[Check_mk (english)] NTP Timeout Issue

I just got check_mk set up and must say, it's great! However, I'm one of the unlucky ones who gets NTP Time notifications all day. I read about extending the time for ntpq here:

However, why isn't ntpq just run with the -n option in the stock check_mk install? It makes ntpq return basically instantly by skipping the dns lookups -- you just don't get the domain names for hosts.

-- S
Florian Heigl | 21 Jul 10:52 2011
Picon

Re: [Check_mk (english)] NTP Timeout Issue

Hi,

http://lists.mathias-kettner.de/pipermail/checkmk-en/2011-May/002985.html

> However, why isn't ntpq just run with the -n option in the stock
check_mk
> install? It makes ntpq return basically instantly by skipping the dns
> lookups -- you just don't get the domain names for hosts.

Because misconfigured reverse lookups or very slow DNS servers are *not* a
common issue :)
Many people like to see the NTP server hostname there, too.

On the other hand using -n will save a split second even in the mot ideal
scenario so I think this is a really good idea.
I'll open a bug for discussing this.

Florian

Mathias Kettner GmbH  |  \/  | |/ /   M A T H I A S   K E T T N E R
Florian Heigl         | |\/| | ' /
Steinstr. 44          | |  | | . \        Linux Beratung & Schulung
81667 M√ľnchen         |_|  |_|_|\_\       http://mathias-kettner.de
Tel.: 089 / 1890 4210
Fax.: 089 / 1890 4211 Mail:  fh <at> mathias-kettner.de
Mathias Kettner | 15 Aug 21:23 2011
Picon

Re: [Check_mk (english)] NTP Timeout Issue

Hi S,

the reason is, that if you use NTP servers with dynamic IP-adresses
(such as pool.ntp.org), you will not be able to uniquely identify
a server. And that is neccessary for the check ntp.peer.

But if you want, you can modify your agent and should be fine.