Dirk Süsserott | 15 Aug 15:21 2007

Representing an IPv6 address as value (not in the OID)

Hi,

I've a question concerning IPv6 addresses. What is the recommended way
(ASN type) to represent them as values.
Not as index or anywhere within the OID, just as value.
For "regular" IPv4 addresses there exists the ASN_IPADDRESS type. Is
there any analog type for v6? Or should I just use ASN_OCTET_STR?

Tanks in advance,
Dirk

Dave Shield | 15 Aug 15:31 2007
Picon

Re: Representing an IPv6 address as value (not in the OID)

On 15/08/07, Dirk Süsserott <newsletter <at> dirk.my1.cc> wrote:
> I've a question concerning IPv6 addresses. What is the recommended way
> (ASN type) to represent them as values.

Either       InetAddressIPv6   (if this can object can *only* take
IPv6 addresses),
or   an  InetAddressType/InetAddress pair   (for a more general object).

See the INET-ADDRESS-MIB (RFC 4001) for details.

Dave

Dirk Süsserott | 15 Aug 15:53 2007

Dave Shield schrieb:
> On 15/08/07, Dirk Süsserott <newsletter <at> dirk.my1.cc> wrote:
>
>> I've a question concerning IPv6 addresses. What is the recommended way
>> (ASN type) to represent them as values.
>>

> Either       InetAddressIPv6   (if this can object can *only* take
> IPv6 addresses),
> or   an  InetAddressType/InetAddress pair   (for a more general object).
>
> See the INET-ADDRESS-MIB (RFC 4001) for details.

An InetAddressType/InetAddress pair sounds good. Just to understand:
does that mean two OIDs? One for the type, one for the address itself?
Dirk

Dave Shield | 15 Aug 15:59 2007
Picon

Re: Representing an IPv6 address as value (not in the OID)

On 15/08/07, Dirk Süsserott <newsletter <at> dirk.my1.cc> wrote:
> An InetAddressType/InetAddress pair sounds good. Just to understand:
> does that mean two OIDs? One for the type, one for the address itself?

Yes

Dave