Andreas Metzler | 21 Jan 17:57 2003

Per host config in /etc/?

Hello,
Would you be opposed to moving /var/spool/news/in.hosts/spoolname.conf
to /etc/newsx/? Imho these are configuration files and should be
placed in /etc/
              cu andreas

in the message body.

Egil Kvaleberg | 22 Jan 07:52 2003
Picon

Re: Per host config in /etc/?

On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 17:57, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> Would you be opposed to moving /var/spool/news/in.hosts/spoolname.conf
> to /etc/newsx/?

Switching to
The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ would
probably make sense. But does the latest version properly address news?

News software has traditionally had its own way of handling everything.
Some pre-compiled news packages seem to use a mix of the two.

> Imho these are configuration files and should be
> placed in /etc/

You can always place them where you want using --with-inhosts, can't
you?

Egil

Email: egil <at> kvaleberg.no
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway
Home:  http://www.kvaleberg.com/
in the message body.

(Continue reading)

Andreas Metzler | 22 Jan 08:48 2003

Re: Per host config in /etc/?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:52:57AM +0100, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 17:57, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > Would you be opposed to moving /var/spool/news/in.hosts/spoolname.conf
> > to /etc/newsx/?

> Switching to
> The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard http://www.pathname.com/fhs/ would
> probably make sense. But does the latest version properly address news?

> News software has traditionally had its own way of handling everything.
> Some pre-compiled news packages seem to use a mix of the two.

I think except for in.hosts/spoolname.conf newsx is basically FHS clean:
/usr/bin/newsq
/usr/lib/news/bin/newsx.real
/usr/lib/news/bin/newsx
/usr/share/man/man8/newsx.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/newsq.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/in.hosts.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/newsx.conf.5.gz
/var/spool/news/in.hosts
/etc/newsx.conf

>> Imho these are configuration files and should be
>> placed in /etc/

> You can always place them where you want using --with-inhosts, can't
> you?

This would move not only the configuration files spoolname.conf but
(Continue reading)

Egil Kvaleberg | 22 Jan 09:32 2003
Picon

Re: Per host config in /etc/?

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 08:48, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> I think except for in.hosts/spoolname.conf newsx is basically FHS clean:
> /usr/bin/newsq
> /usr/lib/news/bin/newsx.real
> /usr/lib/news/bin/newsx
> /usr/share/man/man8/newsx.8.gz
> /usr/share/man/man1/newsq.1.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/in.hosts.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/newsx.conf.5.gz
> /var/spool/news/in.hosts

> /etc/newsx.conf

What is this?

And where do you put INN and Cnews configuration files?

> >> Imho these are configuration files and should be
> >> placed in /etc/
>
> > You can always place them where you want using --with-inhosts, can't
> > you?
>
> This would move not only the configuration files spoolname.conf but
> also spoolname and spoolname.old to /etc/, wouldn't it?

Yes, you are right. Probably need for yet another option, perhaps.

Egil
(Continue reading)

Andreas Metzler | 22 Jan 10:08 2003

Re: Per host config in /etc/?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 09:32:48AM +0100, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 08:48, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> > I think except for in.hosts/spoolname.conf newsx is basically FHS clean:
[...]
>> /etc/newsx.conf

> What is this?

Standard profile in $PATHETC/newsx.conf. How about using
$PATHETC/newsx/newsx.conf?

> And where do you put INN and Cnews configuration files?

In /etc/news/. (Debian)

>>> You can always place them where you want using --with-inhosts, can't
>>> you?

>> This would move not only the configuration files spoolname.conf but
>> also spoolname and spoolname.old to /etc/, wouldn't it?

> Yes, you are right. Probably need for yet another option, perhaps.

--withnewsxconf= (defaults to $PATHETC/newsx/) perhaps?
              cu andreas

Egil Kvaleberg | 22 Jan 11:13 2003
Picon

Re: Per host config in /etc/?

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 10:08, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> --withnewsxconf= (defaults to $PATHETC/newsx/) perhaps?

What about:

	--with-hostconfig

And for newsx:

	--hostconfig

At least for this release, I think it should default to the inhosts
setting. For one, I am not 100% certain where FHS really wants us to
place this. Also, I am not really sure how good it is in connection with
newsx.conf. What if someone uses the hostname "newsx"?

I've prepared this in:

	http://home.powertech.no/egilkv/newsx-1.6pre.tar.gz

Nice if someone could check how it works out, and report.

Egil

Email: egil <at> kvaleberg.no
Voice/videophone: +47 22523641 Voice: +47 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway
Home:  http://www.kvaleberg.com/

Andreas Metzler | 22 Jan 12:23 2003

Re: Per host config in /etc/?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:13:19AM +0100, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 10:08, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>
> > --withnewsxconf= (defaults to $PATHETC/newsx/) perhaps?
>
> What about:
>
> 	--with-hostconfig

> And for newsx:
>
> 	--hostconfig

I'd like to put the default profile (newsx.conf) in there, too.

> At least for this release, I think it should default to the inhosts
> setting.

Absolutely, this is post-1.6 material.

> For one, I am not 100% certain where FHS really wants us to
> place this.

I am quite sure it should go to /etc, it clearly is a configuation
file.

> Also, I am not really sure how good it is in connection with
> newsx.conf. What if someone uses the hostname "newsx"?

Crash! :-( renaming the default.profile to /etc/newsx/config.default