Jay Sorg | 1 May 02:26 2013
Picon

/etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman

I've seen some issues with the pam.d file being the way it is.
Some reports from users as well.
I seen the problem in Suse 12.1.
I'm planning to put the file
/etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman
back like it was.
Also, I seen a system that does not have
/etc/X11/Xsession
so I think I'll check for the existence and if it's not there, do the old way.

Jay

http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap1
Stephen Yorke (DN | 1 May 02:42 2013

Re: /etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman

Jay,

Xsession on EL is located in /etc/X11/xinit.
On Debian based systems, it is usually in /etc/X11.

As for the /etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman, I think we should discuss the best way to do it.  I know for my EL builds, I find it easiest to use the system-auth links that I posted in a previous e-Mail.  Others said that will not work on all distributions though.  Which I do not really understand because it is pam.  Shouldn’t it work the same way on all systems?  I am actually going to look into this a little more because I want to write a single script which will build my systems whether they are EL or Debian based distributions.  My current script works perfectly for EL (CentOS and Red Hat) and after running it, everything ‘just works’.

I've seen some issues with the pam.d file being the way it is.
Some reports from users as well.
I seen the problem in Suse 12.1.
I'm planning to put the file
/etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman
back like it was.
Also, I seen a system that does not have
/etc/X11/Xsession
so I think I'll check for the existence and if it's not there, do the old way.

Jay

Gustavo Homem | 1 May 21:56 2013
Picon

Re: /etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman

Stephen,

I think the problem is that EL, Suse and Mandriva use system-auth whereas Debian (and Co.) call it
common-auth. Same goes for account, session and password.

So, it is the same thing with different names.

Ways to solve this within the xrdp repo

1- have a default file that works for Debian, Ubuntu, etc and an extra file (xrdp-sesman.EL) that works for
EL, Suse, etc
2- have a default file that works for EL, Suse, etc and an extra file (xrdp-sesman.Ubuntu) that works for
Debian, Ubuntu, etc

Either the Debian people or the EL people will have to copy a file in their building scripts. But that's
trivial to whoever is able to package anything :-)

I really think the repository should keep *both* files, so that packagers don't have to carry along a
separate files all the time.

We can work together to have 1) ou 2) so that the central repository works for everyone.

Suggestion: ask Jay to integrate the pam file that works for EL in the way he prefers and adapt your script
accordingly, to build directly from the repository.

Cheers
Gustavo

> Xsession on EL is located in /etc/X11/xinit.
> On Debian based systems, it is usually in /etc/X11.
>

> As for the /etc/pam.d/xrdp-sesman, I think we should discuss the best
> way to do it. I know for my EL builds, I find it easiest to use the
> system-auth links that I posted in a previous e-Mail. Others said
> that will not work on all distributions though. Which I do not
> really understand because it is pam. Shouldn’t it work the same way
> on all systems? I am actually going to look into this a little more
> because I want to write a single script which will build my systems
> whether they are EL or Debian based distributions. My current script
> works perfectly for EL (CentOS and Red Hat) and after running it,
> everything ‘just works’.

Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt