Jordi Martín | 3 Mar 11:22 2008
Picon

Re: Exists Junit tests?

jcifs = java cifs.

(I know !!!)

so no .NET. implementation.
And it is not necessary for .NET.

(why??,  is it possible doing the same without native win32 dlls or in mono implementation ??)

2008/3/3, tetsu.soh <at> nts.ricoh.co.jp <tetsu.soh <at> nts.ricoh.co.jp>:
Hi,

jcifs = java cifs.
so no .NET. implementation.
And it is not necessary for .NET.

jcifs-bounces+tetsu.soh=nts.ricoh.co.jp <at> lists.samba.org wrote on 2008/03/03
18:56:03:

> Hi, I'm new in the list, my name is Jordi Martin.

> I have some initials doubts about project.

> I searched in archive but don't found the response.

> Exists Junit tests?

> and

> Exists some implementation in .NET laguage?

> If not exists, is possible I do implementation in .NET (mono) for my
final
> university project.

> Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english.

> [attachment "C.htm" deleted by Tetsu Soh/O/RICOH]

Michael B Allen | 3 Mar 17:31 2008

Re: Exists Junit tests?

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:22:32 +0100
"Jordi Martín" <jordimartin <at> gmail.com> wrote:

> is possible I do [a CIFS] implementation in .NET (mono) for my
> final university project?

Sure. You could do some basic file operations with NTLMv1 authentication.

First, use WireShark to get a packet capture of Explorer looking at
some files.

  http://www.wireshark.org/

Use these references to decipher what you're looking at:

  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/rfc-draft/draft-leach-cifs-v1-spec-02.html
  http://ubiqx.org/cifs/
  http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html

And look at JCIFS for design inspiration such as how it puts the request
and response into a map by MID and encodes and decodes frames.

Then implement the following commands:

  SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE
  SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX
  SMB_COM_TREE_CONNECT_ANDX
  SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX
  SMB_COM_READ_ANDX
  SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX
  SMB_COM_CLOSE
  + all responses for above

Finally, anyone who wants to implement the CIFS needs to know one very
important thing - the "official" CIFS documentation is not accurate
and does not reflect reality. There is NO specification. Do not believe
anything you read in the IETF draft or the SNIA document (same document
different formatting). Use it only as a hint. The definitive reference
is whatever you see on the wire.

WireShark Rules!

Good luck,

Mike

Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO
http://www.ioplex.com/

Christopher R. Hertel | 4 Mar 23:07 2008

Re: Exists Junit tests?

Don't forget the newest pile of doco:  Microsoft has released the
documentation they wrote for MCPP and WSPP programs.

  http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=573&SiteID=1

Time will tell how much better this doco is relative the previous attempts.

Chris -)-----

Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:22:32 +0100
> "Jordi Martín" <jordimartin <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> is possible I do [a CIFS] implementation in .NET (mono) for my
>> final university project?
>
> Sure. You could do some basic file operations with NTLMv1 authentication.
>
> First, use WireShark to get a packet capture of Explorer looking at
> some files.
>
>   http://www.wireshark.org/
>
> Use these references to decipher what you're looking at:
>
>   http://ubiqx.org/cifs/rfc-draft/draft-leach-cifs-v1-spec-02.html
>   http://ubiqx.org/cifs/
>   http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html
>
> And look at JCIFS for design inspiration such as how it puts the request
> and response into a map by MID and encodes and decodes frames.
>
> Then implement the following commands:
>
>   SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE
>   SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX
>   SMB_COM_TREE_CONNECT_ANDX
>   SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX
>   SMB_COM_READ_ANDX
>   SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX
>   SMB_COM_CLOSE
>   + all responses for above
>
> Finally, anyone who wants to implement the CIFS needs to know one very
> important thing - the "official" CIFS documentation is not accurate
> and does not reflect reality. There is NO specification. Do not believe
> anything you read in the IETF draft or the SNIA document (same document
> different formatting). Use it only as a hint. The definitive reference
> is whatever you see on the wire.
>
> WireShark Rules!
>
> Good luck,
>
> Mike

"Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem"    ISBN: 013047116X
Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/    -)-----     Christopher R. Hertel
jCIFS Team -- http://jcifs.samba.org/  -)-----  ubiqx development, uninq
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/    -)-----          crh <at> ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/   -)-----             crh <at> ubiqx.org

Michael B Allen | 5 Mar 00:37 2008

Re: Exists Junit tests?

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 16:07:50 -0600
"Christopher R. Hertel" <crh <at> ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:

> Don't forget the newest pile of doco:  Microsoft has released the
> documentation they wrote for MCPP and WSPP programs.
>
>   http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=573&SiteID=1
>
> Time will tell how much better this doco is relative the previous attempts.

Yeah, I saw this but I wasn't sure if it was ok to read it. Are there
still conditions attached to this stuff? I'm not just doing OSS anymore. I
have commercial software that I license to people.

Mike

> Michael B Allen wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:22:32 +0100
> > "Jordi Martín" <jordimartin <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> is possible I do [a CIFS] implementation in .NET (mono) for my
> >> final university project?
> >
> > Sure. You could do some basic file operations with NTLMv1 authentication.
> >
> > First, use WireShark to get a packet capture of Explorer looking at
> > some files.
> >
> >   http://www.wireshark.org/
> >
> > Use these references to decipher what you're looking at:
> >
> >   http://ubiqx.org/cifs/rfc-draft/draft-leach-cifs-v1-spec-02.html
> >   http://ubiqx.org/cifs/
> >   http://davenport.sourceforge.net/ntlm.html
> >
> > And look at JCIFS for design inspiration such as how it puts the request
> > and response into a map by MID and encodes and decodes frames.
> >
> > Then implement the following commands:
> >
> >   SMB_COM_NEGOTIATE
> >   SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX
> >   SMB_COM_TREE_CONNECT_ANDX
> >   SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX
> >   SMB_COM_READ_ANDX
> >   SMB_COM_WRITE_ANDX
> >   SMB_COM_CLOSE
> >   + all responses for above
> >
> > Finally, anyone who wants to implement the CIFS needs to know one very
> > important thing - the "official" CIFS documentation is not accurate
> > and does not reflect reality. There is NO specification. Do not believe
> > anything you read in the IETF draft or the SNIA document (same document
> > different formatting). Use it only as a hint. The definitive reference
> > is whatever you see on the wire.
> >
> > WireShark Rules!
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> --
> "Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem"    ISBN: 013047116X
> Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/    -)-----     Christopher R. Hertel
> jCIFS Team -- http://jcifs.samba.org/  -)-----  ubiqx development, uninq
> ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/    -)-----          crh <at> ubiqx.mn.org
> OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/   -)-----             crh <at> ubiqx.org

Michael B Allen
PHP Active Directory SPNEGO SSO
http://www.ioplex.com/

Christopher R. Hertel | 5 Mar 03:22 2008

Re: Exists Junit tests?

Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 16:07:50 -0600
> "Christopher R. Hertel" <crh <at> ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
>
>> Don't forget the newest pile of doco:  Microsoft has released the
>> documentation they wrote for MCPP and WSPP programs.
>>
>>   http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=573&SiteID=1
>>
>> Time will tell how much better this doco is relative the previous attempts.
>
> Yeah, I saw this but I wasn't sure if it was ok to read it. Are there
> still conditions attached to this stuff? I'm not just doing OSS anymore. I
> have commercial software that I license to people.

According to the press release, the only restriction would be patent claims.
 They even go as far as to say they won't sue over those for non-commercial use.

Some of the docs now actually list the relevant patents, which helps.

I'll know more soon, but here's an article from The Reg:
  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/21/microsoft_goes_open/

They gave me a T-shirt that says "Reports of snowballs in hell" on the back.
(No, really.)

Probably worth asking 'round on the Samba-Tech list.  Lots of FOSS and
commercial developers are wondering the same things but there's been very
little (other than Slashdot) public discussion.  At least, I haven't seen
all that much.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh <at> ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh <at> ubiqx.org