Dago Pacheco | 17 Feb 21:18 2012
Picon

Smokeping graphs not showing up

Hi everybody:

I'm having troubles setting up smokeping.  I installed version 2.6.8
from source on a CentOS 5.7 machine.  Compilation process finished
without problems and smokeping is started as a daemon correctly (I also
started in debug mode, and there where no errors).  The web page is
rendered correctly but graphs doesn't show up. I checked imgcache dir,
and png files are correctly generated.
As I said, I compiled smokeping from sources following official
documentation from
http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_install.en.html.

This are my General configuration values

*** General ***

owner    = Aministrador Servidores
contact  = some <at> mail
mailhost = some.mail.host
sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
# NOTE: do not put the Image Cache below cgi-bin
# since all files under cgi-bin will be executed ... this is not
# good for images.
imgcache = /opt/smokeping/cache
imgurl   = ../cache
datadir  = /opt/smokeping/data
piddir  = /opt/smokeping/var
cgiurl   = http://smokeping.some.host/smokeping.cgi
smokemail = /opt/smokeping/etc/smokemail
tmail = /opt/smokeping/etc/tmail
(Continue reading)

G.W. Haywood | 17 Feb 22:12 2012
Picon

Re: Smokeping graphs not showing up

Hi there,

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Dago Pacheco wrote:

> I'm having troubles setting up smokeping.  I installed version 2.6.8
> from source on a CentOS 5.7 machine.  Compilation process finished
> without problems and smokeping is started as a daemon correctly (I also
> started in debug mode, and there where no errors).  The web page is
> rendered correctly but graphs doesn't show up. I checked imgcache dir,
> and png files are correctly generated.

Check the Web server logs?

mgd | 18 Feb 00:24 2012

Re: Smokeping graphs not showing up

Check our permissions on /var/lib/smokeping. My chown permissions are:
smokeping:smokeping, except for _cgi where they are
smokeping:www-data. The smokeping user must be able to r/w to the .rrd
files.

Quoting Dago Pacheco <dpacheco <at> unap.cl>:

> Hi everybody:
>
> I'm having troubles setting up smokeping.  I installed version 2.6.8
> from source on a CentOS 5.7 machine.  Compilation process finished
> without problems and smokeping is started as a daemon correctly (I also
> started in debug mode, and there where no errors).  The web page is
> rendered correctly but graphs doesn't show up. I checked imgcache dir,
> and png files are correctly generated.
> As I said, I compiled smokeping from sources following official
> documentation from
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_install.en.html.
>
> This are my General configuration values
>
> *** General ***
>
> owner    = Aministrador Servidores
> contact  = some <at> mail
> mailhost = some.mail.host
> sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> # NOTE: do not put the Image Cache below cgi-bin
> # since all files under cgi-bin will be executed ... this is not
> # good for images.
(Continue reading)

mgd | 18 Feb 00:24 2012

Re: Smokeping graphs not showing up

Check your permissions on /var/lib/smokeping. My chown permissions
are: smokeping:smokeping, except for _cgi where they are
smokeping:www-data. The smokeping user must be able to r/w to the .rrd
files.

Quoting Dago Pacheco <dpacheco <at> unap.cl>:

> Hi everybody:
>
> I'm having troubles setting up smokeping.  I installed version 2.6.8
> from source on a CentOS 5.7 machine.  Compilation process finished
> without problems and smokeping is started as a daemon correctly (I also
> started in debug mode, and there where no errors).  The web page is
> rendered correctly but graphs doesn't show up. I checked imgcache dir,
> and png files are correctly generated.
> As I said, I compiled smokeping from sources following official
> documentation from
> http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/doc/smokeping_install.en.html.
>
> This are my General configuration values
>
> *** General ***
>
> owner    = Aministrador Servidores
> contact  = some <at> mail
> mailhost = some.mail.host
> sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> # NOTE: do not put the Image Cache below cgi-bin
> # since all files under cgi-bin will be executed ... this is not
> # good for images.
(Continue reading)

Dago Pacheco | 20 Feb 14:05 2012
Picon

Re: Smokeping graphs not showing up

Ok ... I managed to troubleshoot my problem and I get to a solution.
The problem was that "imgurl" config value was incorrectly set.  What I had was "/opt/smokeping/cache/".  With this value my web server couldn't load images, because it was unable to find that dir.  What I did to solve this was to create a symlink from smokeping web root to smokeping cache dir, like this:

ln -s /opt/smokeping/cache /<webdocs_root>/smokeping/cache

And then set "imgurl" config value to "cache" (which is the relative path for smokeping.cgi .... absolute value should be http://smokeping.some.domain/cache).  And that's it, graphs start to show up.

I'd like to point out that official installation instruction are quite tricky, and can lead confusions and, consequently, unnecessary troubleshooting situation, like my case. I think that more detailed instructions which, at least, shows up some default example settings, would save a lot of time.

Thanks everybody.