Leon | 17 Jun 21:46 2004

Error 1062 (1067) on startup

I pulsed the group a while back on this and got some suggestions but still
am having this problem.

I am trying to get the latest version of CYGwin (specifically OpenSSH)
running on a Windows 2000 server.  The base CYGwin installs and seems to
run ok.  But when I try to get OpenSSH running, that fails.  I am able to
run "ssh-host-config -y" without error.
   But when I try to start the service it fails.  I get error 1062 if I try
it using "cygrunsrv -S sshd".  I get error 1067 if I try it from the
Services CP.

   I have:
- Done 2 complete installs (from the Internet) as prescribed in the
ederlynet.com SSH FAQ
- I have setup a separate user, sshd, and set the service to run as that
user.  That user has the 1) run
    as a batch 2) create token privileges in the local security policy.
- I have set the security on the cygwin folders to give full privilege to
both system and sshd users

Any other suggestions?

Alan Vinh | 17 Jun 22:07 2004

Re: Error 1062 (1067) on startup

When I recently installed CYGwin, I followed the link too and had an error (I didn't
note the number) indicating it was missing something that I didn't install (the link
didn't mention to check it off). I went back and installed the WHOLE CYGwin package
including the vim editor. The server now comes up fine and automatically on reboot
(can start/stop manually too). This may not be your problem but this was what I ran
into...

Good luck - Alan

Leon wrote:

> I pulsed the group a while back on this and got some suggestions but still
> am having this problem.
>
> I am trying to get the latest version of CYGwin (specifically OpenSSH)
> running on a Windows 2000 server.  The base CYGwin installs and seems to
> run ok.  But when I try to get OpenSSH running, that fails.  I am able to
> run "ssh-host-config -y" without error.
>    But when I try to start the service it fails.  I get error 1062 if I try
> it using "cygrunsrv -S sshd".  I get error 1067 if I try it from the
> Services CP.
>
>    I have:
> - Done 2 complete installs (from the Internet) as prescribed in the
> ederlynet.com SSH FAQ
> - I have setup a separate user, sshd, and set the service to run as that
> user.  That user has the 1) run
>     as a batch 2) create token privileges in the local security policy.
> - I have set the security on the cygwin folders to give full privilege to
> both system and sshd users
(Continue reading)

Hunt, Andrew | 17 Jun 23:17 2004
Picon

RE: Error 1062 (1067) on startup

I got this during setup when I had file permission errors.  See if these
instructions help at all.  Make sure to install Cygwin for "all users."

http://www.hunt-family.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

Follow the user setup and local policy steps closely.

Regards,

Drew Hunt
E-Health Administrator
Hawaii Pacific Health
ahunt <at> straub.net

I pulsed the group a while back on this and got some suggestions but still
am having this problem.

I am trying to get the latest version of CYGwin (specifically OpenSSH)
running on a Windows 2000 server.  The base CYGwin installs and seems to
run ok.  But when I try to get OpenSSH running, that fails.  I am able to
run "ssh-host-config -y" without error.
   But when I try to start the service it fails.  I get error 1062 if I try
it using "cygrunsrv -S sshd".  I get error 1067 if I try it from the
Services CP.
(Continue reading)

Rajneesh Hegde | 17 Jun 23:34 2004
Picon

Re: Error 1062 (1067) on startup

Jerry, I'm glad you were finally able to figure out the
problem :)

Leon,
I recently battled with the infamous error 1062 also
(and like you, got error 1067 on trying to start from
the services console, or with `net start sshd')
This error seemingly has many potential reasons.
The weird thing is, I'd gotten it to work before,
except that it wouldn't accept connections on starting
up Windows, but would start working if I stopped and
restarted the daemon.

To try and fix that, I went back to having privilege
separation, and then I started having error 1062, and
couldn't even start the service. I tried making clean
reinstalls of openssh (sometimes with reinstalls of the
basic cygwin dll) and trying to go back to the old
non-privsep setup, but it didn't work. Finally, I
deleted and reinstalled *all* of cygwin. Then used
ssh-host-config (without the -y option, and answered
*no* for privsep) Now it works!

I've seen on the cygwin mail archives that for some
person having this error, removing the
service (`cygrunsrv -R sshd') and then installing it
with cygrunsrv itself, not ssh-host-config, corrected
the error. (The command for that is
`cygrunsrv -I sshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd', assuming