Jeremy Zawodny | 13 Aug 22:51 2003

Yahoo! News RSS Feeds Launched

I just blogged the news:

  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000920.html

for the lazy:

  http://news.yahoo.com/rss

Jeremy

<Jeremy@...>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

Jeremy Zawodny | 13 Aug 23:23 2003

Re: Yahoo! News RSS Feeds Launched

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 01:51:26PM -0700, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> I just blogged the news:
>
>   http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000920.html
>
> for the lazy:
>
>   http://news.yahoo.com/rss

*sigh*

Someone jummped the gun (not me).

Stay tuned.

Jeremy

<Jeremy@...>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

Jeremy Zawodny | 26 Aug 23:01 2003

Re: Yahoo! News RSS Feeds Launched

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 01:51:26PM -0700, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> I just blogged the news:
>
>   http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000920.html
>
> for the lazy:
>
>   http://news.yahoo.com/rss

Okay, as noted here:

   http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000952.html

They're up for real this time.

Jeremy

<Jeremy@...>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

Mark Fletcher | 26 Aug 23:27 2003

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

>Okay, as noted here:
>
>   http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000952.html
>
>They're up for real this time.

Looks great! One suggestion to make it easier for people to subscribe
would be to include a set of <link> tags on http://news.yahoo.com/rss to
identify the feeds specifically. Like this:

href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories">
href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/world">
href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/business">
href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/tech">
href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/politics">
href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/sports">
href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/entertainment">
||<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Health"
href="http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/health">
(Continue reading)

Mark Fletcher | 27 Aug 00:41 2003

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

>Okay, as noted here:
>
>   http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000952.html
>
>They're up for real this time.

It looks like that the <link> for each item in the feed changes every
time the feed is fetched. It looks like a tracking URL is being used,
perhaps to correlate a link to a particular RSS fetch. I don't mind the
tracking aspect, but because the link changes, Bloglines considers each
item as being updated every time we fetch one of the feeds. We track
which items each user has read, and when an item is updated, we treat it
as an unread item. So users end up seeing items they've already read,
over and over.

Any chance of getting this changed? We could special case the Yahoo
feeds. Or we could ignore changes to <link> tags in general. Both are
doable, but suboptimal.

As an aside, to other aggregator writers. Do other aggregators consider
changes to <links> to indicate that an item has been updated?

Thanks,

Mark

Jeremy Zawodny | 27 Aug 00:55 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:41:48PM -0700, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
>
> >Okay, as noted here:
> >
> >   http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000952.html
> >
> >They're up for real this time.
> >

> It looks like that the <link> for each item in the feed changes every
> time the feed is fetched.

I'm not seeing that happen.

Can anyone else reproduce it?  If so, what RSS URL?

I'm testing with:

  http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories

and it seems okay.

> It looks like a tracking URL is being used, perhaps to correlate a
> link to a particular RSS fetch.

It's a tracking URL to track that your click came from the RSS feed,
but not from a particular fetch.

> I don't mind the tracking aspect, but because the link changes,
(Continue reading)

Mark Fletcher | 27 Aug 01:14 2003

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

>I'm not seeing that happen.
>
>Can anyone else reproduce it?  If so, what RSS URL?
>
>I'm testing with:
>
>  http://rss.news.yahoo.com/rss/topstories
>
>and it seems okay.

Hmm. That's the feed I saw it with. We fetch hourly, and between the
2:45pm and 3:45pm fetch, the urls didn't change. They did change from
our initial fetch at around 2:10pm (when the first user subscribed) and
the normal 2:45pm fetch. Maybe it was a one-time thing. Here's a sample
just for kicks:

What we got around 2:10pm or so:
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/716/1b61ffe3d3e401f8a236c4e4727dcd70/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl
=story2&u=/ap/20030826/ap_on_sc/shuttle_investigation

What we got at 2:45pm:
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/716/56c2218fb25259b13bf8066330154de1/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?t
mpl=story2&u=/ap/20030826/ap_on_sc/shuttle_investigation

Again, we didn't see it between the last two fetches. Perhaps it was a
fluke.

(Continue reading)

Jeremy Zawodny | 27 Aug 01:43 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 04:14:58PM -0700, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> What we got around 2:10pm or so:
> http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/716/1b61ffe3d3e401f8a236c4e4727dcd70/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl
> =story2&u=/ap/20030826/ap_on_sc/shuttle_investigation
>
> What we got at 2:45pm:
> http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/rss/716/56c2218fb25259b13bf8066330154de1/*http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?t
> mpl=story2&u=/ap/20030826/ap_on_sc/shuttle_investigation
>
> Again, we didn't see it between the last two fetches. Perhaps it was a
> fluke.

Thanks for the sample.  We've tracked this down and the news guys will
be yanking the tracking URL stuff shortly.  It's the culprit.

> >>I don't mind the tracking aspect, but because the link changes,
> >>Bloglines considers each item as being updated every time we fetch
> >>one of the feeds. We track which items each user has read, and when
> >>an item is updated, we treat it as an unread item. So users end up
> >>seeing items they've already read, over and over.
> >>

> >Why not use the guid?
> >

> Use the guid as an index into the database for the item. But that
> doesn't tell you if the item's been edited. So you have new items, and
> updated items.
(Continue reading)

Mark Fletcher | 27 Aug 01:54 2003

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

>Thanks for the sample.  We've tracked this down and the news guys will
>be yanking the tracking URL stuff shortly.  It's the culprit.

Cool. Thanks!

Mark

Dave Winer | 27 Aug 01:32 2003
Picon

Why not use the guid? (was Re: Yahoo! News RSS Feeds Launched)

They have a guid on each item -- why not use it?

http://backend.userland.com/permalinksNewsAggregators

Dave

> It looks like that the <link> for each item in the feed changes every
> time the feed is fetched. It looks like a tracking URL is being used,
> perhaps to correlate a link to a particular RSS fetch. I don't mind the
> tracking aspect, but because the link changes, Bloglines considers each
> item as being updated every time we fetch one of the feeds. We track
> which items each user has read, and when an item is updated, we treat it
> as an unread item. So users end up seeing items they've already read,
(Continue reading)

Mark Fletcher | 27 Aug 01:42 2003

Re: Why not use the guid? (was Re: Yahoo! News RSS Feeds Launched)

Dave Winer wrote:

>They have a guid on each item -- why not use it?
>
>http://backend.userland.com/permalinksNewsAggregators

Of course we use the guid. That's our index (along with the site id)
into the database for each item. It's also how we can tell that a
particular item has been changed or edited. So we have cases where there
are new items, when the guid doesn't appear in the database, and cases
where items have been edited, because we go in and compare different
fields of the item with what we fetched last time. We highlight the item
in either case.

So in this case, the guids were fine and we were able to fetch the
previously-fetched items out of our database. We then compared the
various parts of each item to our previously fetched info, like the
description, title, and link. The links were different, so we considered
the items to be updated, which we highlighted for our users.

Thanks,

Mark
--
Mark Fletcher
Bloglines

Dave Winer | 27 Aug 03:23 2003
Picon

Re: Why not use the guid? (was Re: Yahoo! News RSS Feeds Launched)

Very cool. ;->