adam hyde | 2 Jul 18:11 2007

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 16:43 +0100, Andres Guadamuz wrote:
> Dear Adam,
>
> As far as I know, there is an official list of compatible licences, which is
> empty at the moment. See:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses

thanks - thats an interesting resource. It states:

"Creative Commons approves licenses as compatible when they, at a
minimum, contain terms that have the same purpose, meaning and effect as
the key license elements of a particular Creative Commons license and
when a license explicitly permits the relicensing of derivatives of
works made available under that license under a particular Creative
Commons license."

It would seem the GPL would not be 'compatible' under these terms as the
GPL does not explicitly permit: "the relicensing of derivatives of works
made available under that license under a particular Creative Commons
license"

The gpl does not do this. However, how does the CC-GPL fit into this
picture? :
http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl

Its the GPL with a CC wrapper...is the CC-GPL considered to be living
within the CC family of licenses? If so, then the CC-GPL is 'compatible'
and the question is answered.
(Continue reading)

Rob Myers | 2 Jul 19:36 2007

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

(I am not CC, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.)

adam hyde wrote:

> It would seem the GPL would not be 'compatible' under these terms as the
> GPL does not explicitly permit: "the relicensing of derivatives of works
> made available under that license under a particular Creative Commons
> license"

That is correct.

> The gpl does not do this. However, how does the CC-GPL fit into this
> picture? :
> http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl
>
> Its the GPL with a CC wrapper...is the CC-GPL considered to be living
> within the CC family of licenses? If so, then the CC-GPL is 'compatible'
> and the question is answered.

Ignore CC-GPL for the purpose of this discussion, that is just CC trying
to explain the GPL to people. It's a very good idea (CC-FDL anybody?)
but can be confusing.

> is there anyone that can clarify this?
>
> Just to retour...My specific question is:
>
> Can content under the CC-BY-SA (3.0) be distributed under the GPL? ie.
> Is the GPL or 'CC-GPL' a 'similar' or 'compatible' license as per the
> license statement :
(Continue reading)

Prodromos Tsiavos | 2 Jul 19:42 2007
Picon

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

I would agree with Rob on dissuading you from using dual licensing, as it
would only cause the same (and perhaps even more complicated problems) in
the second generation of derivative works.

best,
pRo

> (I am not CC, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.)
>
> adam hyde wrote:
>
>> It would seem the GPL would not be 'compatible' under these terms as the
>> GPL does not explicitly permit: "the relicensing of derivatives of works
>> made available under that license under a particular Creative Commons
>> license"
>
> That is correct.
>
>> The gpl does not do this. However, how does the CC-GPL fit into this
>> picture? :
>> http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl

(Continue reading)

adam hyde | 2 Jul 19:54 2007

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

ok...so...um....the CC and FSF are helping who exactly with license
interoperability? I really get that monty python feeling where the
factions are spitting on each other in the arena....

will be see two 'prosumers' sitting on a bench, one asking "is that an
'organisation for free licences'?" and the other replying "no! thats a
free license organsation!... wankers!"

and i won't even get started on asking questions about the FDL...i've
already made up my mind on that one...

adam

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 18:36 +0100, Rob Myers wrote:
> (I am not CC, I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.)
>
> adam hyde wrote:
>
> > It would seem the GPL would not be 'compatible' under these terms as the
> > GPL does not explicitly permit: "the relicensing of derivatives of works
> > made available under that license under a particular Creative Commons
> > license"
>
> That is correct.
>
> > The gpl does not do this. However, how does the CC-GPL fit into this
> > picture? :
> > http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl
> >
> > Its the GPL with a CC wrapper...is the CC-GPL considered to be living
(Continue reading)

Paul Keller | 2 Jul 20:11 2007
Picon

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

On Jul 2, 2007, at 7:54 PM, adam hyde wrote:

> ok...so...um....the CC and FSF are helping who exactly with license
> interoperability? I really get that monty python feeling where the
> factions are spitting on each other in the arena....

hmm. there is no point in interoperability (as in being able to
relicense something that was originally under one of the licenses
under the other): the GPL is intended for software, the CC licenses
are for works under copyright that are *not* software. as rob
explained distributing CC-BY-SA and GPL licensed works together is
fine both under the GPL and the CC-BY-SA. the only 'problem' in this
regard is the position of Debian legal. as far as i know they are
still deliberating if they are going to consider CC-BY-SA 3.0 (which
resolved most of the issues they had with the pervious versions) free
according to the DFSG or not. one would hope that they will.

> will be see two 'prosumers' sitting on a bench, one asking "is that an
> 'organisation for free licences'?" and the other replying "no! thats a
> free license organsation!... wankers!"
>
> and i won't even get started on asking questions about the FDL...i've
> already made up my mind on that one...

as i said before the GFDL is one of the obvious candidates for
inclusion in the list of CC compatible licenses. if i am not entirely
mistaken the incompatibility between CC-BY-SA and GFDL is the main
reason for the inclusion of the compatability clause in CC-BY-SA 3.0.
i am not really getting why the GFDL seems to be get you even more
upset when thinking about compatibility. in the case of the GFDL
(Continue reading)

Paul Keller | 2 Jul 20:19 2007
Picon

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

to provide some background here are two links to an article by Mia
Garlik explaining the rationale behind the changes in version 3.0 of
the CC licenses. the full article can be found here: http://
wiki.creativecommons.org/Version_3

see: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Version_3#Debian

>> will be see two 'prosumers' sitting on a bench, one asking "is
>> that an
>> 'organisation for free licences'?" and the other replying "no!
>> thats a
>> free license organsation!... wankers!"
>>
>> and i won't even get started on asking questions about the FDL...i've
>> already made up my mind on that one...
>
> as i said before the GFDL is one of the obvious candidates for
(Continue reading)

Prodromos Tsiavos | 2 Jul 20:23 2007
Picon

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

Paul, do you by any chance know what is the status of development of the CC
Compatible Licence list?

many thanks
pRo

> to provide some background here are two links to an article by Mia
> Garlik explaining the rationale behind the changes in version 3.0 of
> the CC licenses. the full article can be found here: http://
> wiki.creativecommons.org/Version_3
>
> On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:11 PM, Paul Keller wrote:
>
>> hmm. there is no point in interoperability (as in being able to
>> relicense something that was originally under one of the licenses
>> under the other): the GPL is intended for software, the CC licenses
>> are for works under copyright that are *not* software. as rob
>> explained distributing CC-BY-SA and GPL licensed works together is
>> fine both under the GPL and the CC-BY-SA. the only 'problem' in this
>> regard is the position of Debian legal. as far as i know they are
>> still deliberating if they are going to consider CC-BY-SA 3.0 (which
>> resolved most of the issues they had with the pervious versions) free
>> according to the DFSG or not. one would hope that they will.
(Continue reading)

Paul Keller | 2 Jul 20:25 2007
Picon

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

nope... there were no statements regarding this during the isummit so
i believe that there had been no movement in this field as of lately.
but than i also did not really ask anyone... /paul

On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:23 PM, Prodromos Tsiavos wrote:

> Paul, do you by any chance know what is the status of development
> of the CC
> Compatible Licence list?
>
> many thanks
> pRo

Prodromos Tsiavos | 2 Jul 20:30 2007
Picon

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

thanks very much Paul :)

pRo
> nope... there were no statements regarding this during the isummit so
> i believe that there had been no movement in this field as of lately.
> but than i also did not really ask anyone... /paul
>

> On Jul 2, 2007, at 8:23 PM, Prodromos Tsiavos wrote:
>
>> Paul, do you by any chance know what is the status of development
>> of the CC
>> Compatible Licence list?
>>
>> many thanks
>> pRo

adam hyde | 3 Jul 10:38 2007

one last comment on similarity

one last comment from me on the "CC-BY-SA and GPL" issue.

This notion of 'similarity' in the license is a bit of an issue for
claiming that the license is 'human readable' isn't it?

It took quite a discussion on the list amongst experts to clarify what
is intended by 'similar'. I think most people reading the license would
understand it quite differently.

adam

adam hyde
'free as in media'

~/.nl

http://www.flossmanuals.net
http://www.simpel.cc
http://www.radioqualia.net
Evan Prodromou | 2 Jul 20:55 2007

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

On Mon, 2007-02-07 at 20:11 +0200, Paul Keller wrote:

> hmm. there is no point in interoperability (as in being able to
> relicense something that was originally under one of the licenses
> under the other): the GPL is intended for software, the CC licenses
> are for works under copyright that are *not* software.

I think one of the common use cases is for copying example code to and
from text or hypertext documentation.

Another is copying sound, images, and video into games or other richly
interactive programs.

As program interfaces become richer and as "content" becomes smarter,
the distinction between what's a program and what's not is getting
harder to make.

-Evan

Evan Prodromou - evan@... - http://evan.prodromou.name/
Attachment (smime.p7s): application/x-pkcs7-signature, 5975 bytes
adam hyde | 2 Jul 21:15 2007

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

> As program interfaces become richer and as "content" becomes smarter,
> the distinction between what's a program and what's not is getting
> harder to make.

I think you already cannot make a distinction. What is, for example,
help documentation that appears within the help menu of an application?

Doesn't the GPL actually accomodate this with the very first line of the
license:
"The GNU General Public License is a free, copyleft license for
software and other kinds of works."

adam

> -Evan

adam hyde
'free as in media'

~/.nl

http://www.flossmanuals.net
http://www.simpel.cc
http://www.radioqualia.net
Javier Candeira | 3 Jul 02:43 2007

¿Dual licensing a bad idea? (was: cc-by-sa and gpl)

Rob Myers wrote:
> If you are the original licensor you could dual-license under BY-SA and
> GPL, but that's a very bad idea.

¿Rob, can you please expound/expand?

Javier
Rob Myers | 3 Jul 15:30 2007

Re: ¿Dual licensing a bad idea?

Javier Candeira wrote:
> Rob Myers wrote:
>> If you are the original licensor you could dual-license under BY-SA and
>> GPL, but that's a very bad idea.
>
> ¿Rob, can you please expound/expand?

BY-SA and the GPL are both copyleft licenses but they are designed for
different kinds of work and protect different kinds of use. They are
also incompatible.

Software really shouldn't be licensed BY-SA. It doesn't protect user
freedom as well as the GPL. In particular you don't have to provide
modified source code. And if a user makes a BY-SA derivative of the
software it cannot be used with GPL licensed code (such as libraries).

Art shouldn't generally be licensed GPL. There is a web site of
GPL-licensed art, and "software art" (programs that are art) should
definitely be licensed GPL, but media shouldn't be. Since GPL-licensed
code can work quite happily with BY-SA licensed media assets (icons,
sounds) and documentation, there is no real reason to separate these
from the rest of the BY-SA commons.

I agree with Evan that more and more art is being represented as
software (and data), but I think it is still important to distinguish
between executable software and cultural works. Ultimately we may need
some kind of polymorphous license that requires that you publish the
source of your novel when it's published as a LaTeX document and
requires that you not add a shrinkwrap license when it's published as a
dead-tree book.
(Continue reading)

Prodromos Tsiavos | 3 Jul 16:06 2007
Picon

Re: ¿Dual licensing a bad idea?

Just to add to Rob's point, I think there is also a practical compatibility
problem when you dual license a work. Consider the following scenario:

A is a dually licensed (under GPL/ CC_BY_SA) work which is then mixed with
work B  (which is only CC_BY_SA licensed).

Work AB that will come as a result of such mixing is now miscible ONLY with
CC_BY_SA works and cannot be dual licensed since it originates from B (which
is a CC_BY_SA only licensed work), unless B's licensor agrees to such new
form of licensing making B dual licensed as well.

I think Evan has commented on this issue quite extensively on this list in
the past.

thnx
pRo

>> If you are the original licensor you could dual-license under BY-SA and
>> GPL, but that's a very bad idea.
>
> ¿Rob, can you please expound/expand?
(Continue reading)

Javier Candeira | 4 Jul 00:47 2007

Re: ¿Dual licensing a bad idea?

Prodromos Tsiavos wrote:
> Just to add to Rob's point, I think there is also a practical compatibility
> problem when you dual license a work. Consider the following scenario:
>
> A is a dually licensed (under GPL/ CC_BY_SA) work which is then mixed with
> work B  (which is only CC_BY_SA licensed).
>
> Work AB that will come as a result of such mixing is now miscible ONLY with
> CC_BY_SA works and cannot be dual licensed since it originates from B (which
> is a CC_BY_SA only licensed work), unless B's licensor agrees to such new
> form of licensing making B dual licensed as well.
>
> I think Evan has commented on this issue quite extensively on this list in
> the past.

Thanks! I had missed this point.

Javier