Mike Linksvayer | 8 Mar 20:50 2006

Re: Extending CC Meta-Data

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 04:57 -0800, Brian Erdelyi wrote:
> Thanks for the W3 reference, I'll continue to familiarise myself with the format.
>
> >From this example...
>
> <License rdf:about="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/">
>   <permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Reproduction" />
>   <permits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Distribution" />
>   <requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Notice" />
>   <requires rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/Attribution" />
>   <prohibits rdf:resource="http://web.resource.org/cc/CommercialUse" />
> </License>
>
> I would reference the software's license (likely proprietary) in the first line and follow it by the characteristics.
>
> PERMIT, REQUIRES and PROHIBIT are the three types of characteristics that CC includes, and each can have
specified values.

> If I were to extend a vocabulary I would create additional characteristic types and specify possible
values for each?  I'll give this some thought to determine what works best.  My initial thought is that I only
need a characteristic that will describe OPERATION, BEHAVIOR or FUNCTIONALITY of the software.

> Would adding additional values to the existing CC characteristics cause any problems or concern?

There would be no problem.  Keep in mind that in the above statement
License, permits, requires and prohibits are in the
http://web.resource.org/cc/ namespace, which would be defined in an
xmlns attribute the above is wrapped in.

You'd presumably have something like