Mike Taylor | 1 Feb 07:55 2006

Interesting article on how to (and how *not* to) get crash reports on OS X

Daring Fireball article:
http://daringfireball.net/2006/01/smart_crash_reports

Way down deep in the article is a small excerpt of how to do it
"properly":

> Other developers have devised their own systems. Michael Tsai’s
> C-Command family of apps all contain a custom crash reporter,
> MJTCrashReporter, of his own design. Even though I use SpamSieve and
> BBAutoComplete constantly, and I beta test both applications, I have
> never seen either of them crash — so I’ve never actually seen Tsai’s
> crash reporter in action. I asked him how it works, and he replied:
>
>> When the application starts up, it uses signal (3) to  register for
>> the signals that indicate crashes. When the app  crashes, it calls
>> the signal handler, which launches  MJTCrashReporter and then quits
>> the app. MJTCrashReporter waits  a second or two to give the system
>> time to write the crash log  file, then it brings up its crash
>> reporter window, pre-filled  with the default address from Address
>> Book and the latest crash  log. To send the report, it makes an HTTP
>> POST to  c-command.com. I treat most crash reports as regular tech
>> support issues, so I have the server send them to me as e-mails  with
>> the user’s address in the reply-to.
>
> Absolutely beautiful. Also: doesn’t interfere a whit with any other
> software on the system. Tsai also pointed out another advantage to
> rolling one’s own crash reporter system: backwards compatibility.
> Unsanity’s SCR only works on 10.4 or later; Tsai’s works all the way
> back to Mac OS X 10.2, which his applications still support.

(Continue reading)

Mike Taylor | 3 Feb 04:27 2006

Interesting article about a new http lib for python

 From XML.com:

> Joe Gregorio's latest Restful Web column is an HTTP caching tour de
> force,
> explaining the whys and hows of caching from the perspective of the
> working web programmer. Joe puts his money where his mouth is by
> announcing the release of httplib2, a Python HTTP library that does
> things
> the right way.
>
> Doing HTTP Caching Right: Introducing httplib2
> <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/02/01/doing-http-caching-right-
> introducing-httplib2.html>

---
Bear