pfir | 3 Jul 18:16 2009

New iPhone's Battery is Achilles' Heel

                  http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000591.html

Greetings.  Before you even think about rushing out to buy the new
iPhone, you might want to read an interesting story about continuing
negative reactions to the iPhone 3GS' battery life
( http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-iphone3-2009jul03,0,2546606.story ).

Of course, all smartphones are power hungry, and we use these
Internet-enabled phones for so much more than just talking.  But the
iPhone is a particularly egregious case since the battery is sealed
inside and not considered to be a "user replaceable" item.

My G1 phone also sucks a lot of juice, but I can pop in an extra
charged battery anytime, and I have an extended duration battery
(bigger is better!) to use in there as well.

With the iPhone, since battery life sucks, you're really stuck.

There are, however, some comparatively ugly workarounds.  One person
responding just now to a tweet of mine on this topic says that he uses
a solar charger.  I guess that's OK if you don't leave the iPhone
itself out in direct sun, and don't keep smashing your head into the
solar array (OK, so the solar array isn't really that big ...)

A more practical way to deal with the problem may be something like
this external battery pack
( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2767656 -- only