justin caratzas | 2 Apr 00:08 2009
Picon

Re: KVM and Cisco switch for sale

2009/4/1 Dennis Ruzeski <denniruz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org>
With all these servers for sale I thought I'd see of anyone needs some kvm or networking gear-

I have an Avocent Autoview 2000 for sale. It supports 16 servers and 2 heads (ps2/vga). The servers connect using dongles readily and cheaply available on ebay and regular cat5. This is a great switch and I hate to get rid of it but I simply don't need it.  $250.

Also for sale is a Cisco 2924xlen Enterprise switch with 24 10/100 ports and 2 gbic slots populated with 1000sx fiber gbics. I'll check the IOS version and post it when I get a chance- I think it's 12.1.xx.  $175

This stuff is fully functional and in excellent shape and I'd love to see it go to a good home. Prices are negotiable and I'm open to interesting trades.

--Dennis
716-348-2610

P.S. I'm in Appling, but I'll deliver to the Atlanta area.

Is there any chance we can hold off the firesales for another month or two?  FreesideATL.org has stuff like this on its want list, and will be able to purchase once they start collecting dues and move into its space.

-- Justin
Brian Pitts | 2 Apr 03:14 2009

justin caratzas wrote:

> Is there any chance we can hold off the firesales for another month or
> two?  FreesideATL.org has stuff like this on its want list, and will be
> able to purchase once they start collecting dues and move into its space.

In a similar vein, I'll point out that Free IT Athens is in need of
switches. All we have on hand now are the 4-port variety; not so great
for setting up labs. Other needs are

* Desktop and laptop computers with a Pentium III or newer processor
* CRT and LCD Monitors
* PS/2 or USB Keyboards and Mice
* Memory (i.e. SD-RAM, DDR, DDR2, RD-RAM)
* PCI POST Diagnostic cards
* Grounded power strips and extension cords
* Large Bakers Racks or similar shelving
* Air Compressor or Vacuum (for removing dust from computers)
* Tools of all varieties (if it can open a computer, crimp a cable, test
a part, etc. we probably want it)

We're not in a position to pay for anything, but donations are *greatly*
appreciated and tax-deductible! There's more information at freeitathens.org

All the best,
Brian Pitts
Kenneth Ratliff | 2 Apr 06:48 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:14 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:

> * CRT and LCD Monitors

For CRT's, any limitations or will anything capable of svga color do?
I know I have 2, possibly 3, sitting in my storage unit that are
absolute hell to lug around whenever I move.

I also have at least one old 2900 series catalyst, the 2 U variety
that run catOS with redundant power supplies. I believe it's a 24
port, 10/100. May have two of those as well.

I'd be happy to transport them and give them up for a good cause

Brian Pitts | 2 Apr 07:31 2009

Kenneth Ratliff wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:14 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
>
>> * CRT and LCD Monitors
>
> For CRT's, any limitations or will anything capable of svga color do?
> I know I have 2, possibly 3, sitting in my storage unit that are
> absolute hell to lug around whenever I move.
>
> I also have at least one old 2900 series catalyst, the 2 U variety
> that run catOS with redundant power supplies. I believe it's a 24
> port, 10/100. May have two of those as well.
>
> I'd be happy to transport them and give them up for a good cause

Anything VGA that can do 1024x768 with good color is useful. We're
distributing 25 computers to Community Connection of Northeast Georgia
next week; this will nearly deplete our supply of monitors.

The switch sounds great. If you think it's old, you should see the 10
megabit hub in our lab at the Economic Justice Center.

I think Jim Kinney has some odds and ends to donate as well. Perhaps
organizing an ALE caravan to Athens one weekend is in order. We have
volunteers ready to receive donations every Sunday from 1-5. We can also
put any wandering ALErs to work for a few hours during that time. Since
we're on track to resume our partnership [0] with the school district
(fingers crossed), there should be *plenty* of work to do once they drop
off several hundred laptops.  In exchange for donations or volunteer
hours, I'll gladly reveal where the good beer in town is.

[0] http://onlineathens.com/stories/080908/news_2008080900419.shtml

All the best,
Brian Pitts
Free IT Athens Staff Volunteer

Free IT Athens is a non-profit community advocate for free software and
open technology. Our goal is to provide access to information technology
resources to Athens-Clarke County residents and organizations. For more
information, visit http://freeitathens.org
Kenneth Ratliff | 2 Apr 09:21 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 1:31 AM, Brian Pitts wrote:
> Anything VGA that can do 1024x768 with good color is useful. We're
> distributing 25 computers to Community Connection of Northeast Georgia
> next week; this will nearly deplete our supply of monitors.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll both do 1024x768

> The switch sounds great. If you think it's old, you should see the 10
> megabit hub in our lab at the Economic Justice Center.

Well, it's old, but still useful. Only reason I don't use it is
because it's huge, I don't have room for it. I believe the term 'boat
anchor' was bandied about when I saved them from the trash compactor
at my previous job.

> We have volunteers ready to receive donations every Sunday from 1-5.
> We can also

Hrm, that may be the problematic part. Unfortunately, I work from 8am
to 8pm on Sundays

Brian Pitts | 2 Apr 18:13 2009

Kenneth Ratliff wrote:

> Hrm, that may be the problematic part. Unfortunately, I work from 8am
> to 8pm on Sundays

Hmm. We can also take donations from 6-8 on Wednesdays. Although we're
not there, the Economic Justice Coalition can receive donations for us
from 9-3 Monday through Friday. If that's still not good, email me
off-list and we'll work out another time.

All the best,
Brian Pitts

Gmane