Girish Venkatachalam | 16 Apr 04:20 2013
Picon

some more blurb on UNIX and Linux

This is mostly academic meaning it is useless.

It is only for conversational purposes or to win an argument.

But rarely you will get a chance to apply this knowledge too.

So to repeat UNIX is not dead.

UNIX is not an OS. It is an idea, a philosophy, a way of thinking and
a bunch of implementations,
 toolsets, shell, kernel and so on.

Linux is different from UNIX but Linux is not a form of UNIX. It was
derived from UNIX.

Today also UNIX is live and kicking in several forms though it is not
popular amongst the
 LUG community because most people in LUG are beginners. People who only know
 popular software.

So UNIX is also used in several places both in the form of appliances,
network devices, NAS
 boxes and so on.

FreeBSD is a common derivative of UNIX.

In the case of Linux, there is the concept of a separate kernel, a
separate userland, GNU toolsets,
 distributions and so on.

(Continue reading)

Sundaram KR | 16 Apr 04:29 2013

Re: some more blurb on UNIX and Linux

>Linux is different from UNIX but Linux is not a form of UNIX. It was derived from UNIX.

What? I mean, what?? When you write something or say something, it is supposed to explain your views and
thoughts. When a person reads the above 2 sentences, how are they supposed to interpret what you said? You
are saying UNIX is an OS, and Linux is just a kernel.How can Linux be derived from Unix?

>it is not popular amongst the LUG community because most people in LUG are beginners. People who only know
popular software.

You have successfully insulted many on this list, and yourself as well, with a single statement.
Congratulations! Maybe you post here to get responses, rather than to enlighten.

...KRS

Arun Khan | 16 Apr 07:38 2013
Picon

Re: some more blurb on UNIX and Linux

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Girish Venkatachalam
<girishvenkatachalam <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> This is mostly academic meaning it is useless.

It is not academic, need to cite references; I agree with the latter
part of the sentence.

There are many reference material on this subject.

I would urge members to read them and draw their own conclusions.

A nice time line of Unix, Linux and variants.
<http://www.computerhope.com/history/unix.htm>

UNIX
------
Paper by Dennis Ritchie:
<http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html>

The Open Groups' which now owns the Unix trademark and gives Unix certification:
<http://www.unix.org/what_is_unix/history_timeline.html>

Wikepedia write up.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix>

LINUX
--------
Linux's history (collection of posts by Linus Torvalds)
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~awb/linux.history.html>

(Continue reading)

ashwin kesavan | 16 Apr 21:14 2013
Picon

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 07:50:26 +0530, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:

> Today also UNIX is live and kicking in several forms though it is not
> popular amongst the
>  LUG community because most people in LUG are beginners. People who only
>  know popular software.

What ?? If you love Unix and not Linux, don't post such nonsense in Linux
mailing list. Instead hang around in Unix mailing list like the BSDs.
This is not the first time you are degrading linux users in linux mailing
list.

> So UNIX is also used in several places both in the form of appliances,
> network devices, NAS
>  boxes and so on.

So is linux.

--ashwin