Thomas Milne | 7 Mar 23:49 2010

: Frustrated with MediaTomb

I'm trying to get MediaTomb working with my PS3. I got it installed
fine, and the PS3 has no trouble seeing the server. The problem is
getting the MediaTomb UI to see the server so I can add my media.
Every time I try to access the Filesystem icon, I get an error about

MediaTomb cannot be reached! Please check if the server is still running.

I've waded through the FAQ, Google and the like, but I have no idea
what the problem is. Currently the server is running on startup, from
/etc/init.d. Most of the documentation, for some reason, refers to
mediatomb being started as a normal user. Also, the documentation
refers to the web UI address being printed in the output when run
manually. I don't see this at all. Also, since the PS3 can see the
server, my problem is NOT that the server isn't running, right?

Before I jump onto their forums, can someone spare me a quick tip? I
have a feeling I'm close, missing something minor but critical.

TBM

Stephen | 8 Mar 00:09 2010

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

Thomas Milne wrote:
> I'm trying to get MediaTomb working with my PS3. I got it installed
> fine, and the PS3 has no trouble seeing the server. The problem is
> getting the MediaTomb UI to see the server so I can add my media.
> Every time I try to access the Filesystem icon, I get an error about
>
> MediaTomb cannot be reached! Please check if the server is still running.
>
> I've waded through the FAQ, Google and the like, but I have no idea
> what the problem is. Currently the server is running on startup, from
> /etc/init.d. Most of the documentation, for some reason, refers to
> mediatomb being started as a normal user. Also, the documentation
> refers to the web UI address being printed in the output when run
> manually. I don't see this at all. Also, since the PS3 can see the
> server, my problem is NOT that the server isn't running, right?
>
> Before I jump onto their forums, can someone spare me a quick tip? I
> have a feeling I'm close, missing something minor but critical.

I suggest you stop MT and run from your user terminal. Make sure you get
something like this:

stephen <at> roissy:~$ mediatomb

MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.12.0 - http://mediatomb.cc/

Copyright 2005-2008 Gena Batsyan, Sergey Bostandzhyan, Leonhard Wimmer.
MediaTomb is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License
(Continue reading)

Thomas Milne | 8 Mar 00:36 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Stephen <stephen-d@...> wrote:
> Thomas Milne wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to get MediaTomb working with my PS3. I got it installed
>> fine, and the PS3 has no trouble seeing the server. The problem is
>> getting the MediaTomb UI to see the server so I can add my media.
>> Every time I try to access the Filesystem icon, I get an error about
>>
>> MediaTomb cannot be reached! Please check if the server is still running.
>>
>> I've waded through the FAQ, Google and the like, but I have no idea
>> what the problem is. Currently the server is running on startup, from
>> /etc/init.d. Most of the documentation, for some reason, refers to
>> mediatomb being started as a normal user. Also, the documentation
>> refers to the web UI address being printed in the output when run
>> manually. I don't see this at all. Also, since the PS3 can see the
>> server, my problem is NOT that the server isn't running, right?
>>
>> Before I jump onto their forums, can someone spare me a quick tip? I
>> have a feeling I'm close, missing something minor but critical.
>>

> I suggest you stop MT and run from your user terminal. Make sure you get
> something like this:
>
> stephen <at> roissy:~$ mediatomb
>
> MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.12.0 - http://mediatomb.cc/

(Continue reading)

Rafael Carneiro | 8 Mar 01:13 2010
Picon

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

I've been using ps3mediaserver for a while and highly recommend it:
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

I tried many others before I found it to be just what I needed.

Cheers,
Rafael

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Thomas Milne
<tbrucemilne@...> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Stephen <stephen-d@...> wrote:
>> Thomas Milne wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get MediaTomb working with my PS3. I got it installed
>>> fine, and the PS3 has no trouble seeing the server. The problem is
>>> getting the MediaTomb UI to see the server so I can add my media.
>>> Every time I try to access the Filesystem icon, I get an error about
>>>
>>> MediaTomb cannot be reached! Please check if the server is still running.
>>>
>>> I've waded through the FAQ, Google and the like, but I have no idea
>>> what the problem is. Currently the server is running on startup, from
>>> /etc/init.d. Most of the documentation, for some reason, refers to
>>> mediatomb being started as a normal user. Also, the documentation
>>> refers to the web UI address being printed in the output when run
>>> manually. I don't see this at all. Also, since the PS3 can see the
>>> server, my problem is NOT that the server isn't running, right?
>>>
>>> Before I jump onto their forums, can someone spare me a quick tip? I
>>> have a feeling I'm close, missing something minor but critical.
(Continue reading)

Dave Germiquet | 8 Mar 03:07 2010
Picon

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

Just thought to let you know, I also use ps3 media server and it works
perfectly for me and is very easy to use.

I love it, you may wanna try it out.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Rafael Carneiro
<rafael.carneiro@...> wrote:
> I've been using ps3mediaserver for a while and highly recommend it:
> http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
>
> I tried many others before I found it to be just what I needed.
>
> Cheers,
> Rafael
>

> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Thomas Milne
> <tbrucemilne@...> wrote:

(Continue reading)

Thomas Milne | 8 Mar 03:19 2010

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

Thanks, I might give that a shot. The thing I see on their page that
just blows my mind is 'Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI,
etc.' I can't believe my computer could do that, but I'd be curious to
see it try ;)

Does that mean that the PS3, instead of showing 'unsupported', would
actually show it as playable?

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Dave Germiquet
<davegermiquet@...> wrote:
> Just thought to let you know, I also use ps3 media server and it works
> perfectly for me and is very easy to use.
>
> I love it, you may wanna try it out.
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Rafael Carneiro
> <rafael.carneiro@...> wrote:
>> I've been using ps3mediaserver for a while and highly recommend it:
>> http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
>>
>> I tried many others before I found it to be just what I needed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rafael
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM, Thomas Milne
>> <tbrucemilne@...> wrote:
(Continue reading)

Dave Germiquet | 8 Mar 04:54 2010
Picon

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

Yup. I use it all the time on my system. Its great. MKV x264 all xvid/divx

<davegermiquet@...> wrote:
>> Just thought to let you know, I also use ps3 media server and it works
>> perfectly for me and is very easy to use.
>>
>> I love it, you may wanna try it out.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Rafael Carneiro
>> <rafael.carneiro@...> wrote:
>>> I've been using ps3mediaserver for a while and highly recommend it:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/
>>>
>>> I tried many others before I found it to be just what I needed.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Rafael

(Continue reading)

Thomas Milne | 8 Mar 05:09 2010

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

Now. what is your system like, though? I'm on an ancient and crappy P4 2.6 :-\

<davegermiquet@...> wrote:
>>> Just thought to let you know, I also use ps3 media server and it works
>>> perfectly for me and is very easy to use.
>>>
>>> I love it, you may wanna try it out.

(Continue reading)

Dave Germiquet | 8 Mar 16:12 2010
Picon

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

Thomas,

Ya my Desktop system is a beast its a Quad Core Intel DUo Q6600 and I'
ve got overclocked to 2.7..

So I'm not sure how resource hungry it is being that its a Java App.

<davegermiquet@...> wrote:
(Continue reading)

Lennart Sorensen | 8 Mar 16:42 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:12:22AM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> Ya my Desktop system is a beast its a Quad Core Intel DUo Q6600 and I'
> ve got overclocked to 2.7..

Is it a Quad or is it a Duo?  It can't be both at once. :)

Len Sorensen

Fabio FZero | 8 Mar 16:47 2010
Picon

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:42, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys@public.gmane.org> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:12:22AM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> Ya my Desktop system is a beast its a Quad Core Intel DUo Q6600 and I'
> ve got overclocked to 2.7..

Is it a Quad or is it a Duo?  It can't be both at once. :)

It's an Octo! 4 * 2, you know.

FZ
Lennart Sorensen | 8 Mar 17:56 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:47:29AM -0500, Fabio FZero wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:42, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@...
> > wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:12:22AM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> > > Ya my Desktop system is a beast its a Quad Core Intel DUo Q6600 and I'
> > > ve got overclocked to 2.7..
> >
> > Is it a Quad or is it a Duo?  It can't be both at once. :)
> >

> It's an Octo! 4 * 2, you know.

So it is a Dual Quad core.  Duo is intel's name for the dual core chips.

I didn't know you could have dual Core 2 chips.  I thought only xeon's
could do that.

Len Sorensen

Dave Germiquet | 8 Mar 17:13 2010
Picon

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

Lol..

Ok its a quad  :)

Sorry about that.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@...> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 10:12:22AM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
>> Ya my Desktop system is a beast its a Quad Core Intel DUo Q6600 and I'
>> ve got overclocked to 2.7..
>
> Is it a Quad or is it a Duo?  It can't be both at once. :)
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Dave Germiquet

Thomas Milne | 8 Mar 02:49 2010

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Stephen <stephen-d@...> wrote:
> Thomas Milne wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to get MediaTomb working with my PS3. I got it installed
>> fine, and the PS3 has no trouble seeing the server. The problem is
>> getting the MediaTomb UI to see the server so I can add my media.
>> Every time I try to access the Filesystem icon, I get an error about
>>
>> MediaTomb cannot be reached! Please check if the server is still running.
>>
>> I've waded through the FAQ, Google and the like, but I have no idea
>> what the problem is. Currently the server is running on startup, from
>> /etc/init.d. Most of the documentation, for some reason, refers to
>> mediatomb being started as a normal user. Also, the documentation
>> refers to the web UI address being printed in the output when run
>> manually. I don't see this at all. Also, since the PS3 can see the
>> server, my problem is NOT that the server isn't running, right?
>>
>> Before I jump onto their forums, can someone spare me a quick tip? I
>> have a feeling I'm close, missing something minor but critical.
>>

> I suggest you stop MT and run from your user terminal. Make sure you get
> something like this:
>
> stephen <at> roissy:~$ mediatomb
>
> MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.12.0 - http://mediatomb.cc/

> Copyright 2005-2008 Gena Batsyan, Sergey Bostandzhyan, Leonhard Wimmer.
> MediaTomb is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License
> version 2
>
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Loading configuration from:
> /home/stephen/.mediatomb/config.xml
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Checking configuration...
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to UTF-8
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to UTF-8
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Setting playlist charset to UTF-8
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Initialized port: 49154
> 2010-03-07 17:58:25    INFO: Server bound to: 192.168.0.50
> 2010-03-07 17:58:26    INFO: MediaTomb Web UI can be reached by following
> this link:
> 2010-03-07 17:58:26    INFO: http://192.168.0.50:49154/
> 2010-03-07 17:58:55    INFO: thread cleanup; thread_id=-1235928208
>
> Pay attention the IP address and port. You need to add these in your
> browser.

I get this:

joehill <at> node1:~$ mediatomb
mediatomb: /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libavformat.so.52: no version
information available (required by /usr/lib/libffmpegthumbnailer.so.3)
mediatomb: /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libavcodec.so.52: no version information
available (required by /usr/lib/libffmpegthumbnailer.so.3)

MediaTomb UPnP Server version 0.12.0 - http://mediatomb.cc/

Copyright 2005-2008 Gena Batsyan, Sergey Bostandzhyan, Leonhard Wimmer.
MediaTomb is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License version 2

2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Loading configuration from:
/home/joehill/.mediatomb/config.xml
2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Checking configuration...
2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Setting filesystem import charset to UTF-8
2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Setting metadata import charset to UTF-8
2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Setting playlist charset to UTF-8
2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
2010-03-07 20:36:11   ERROR: Error while accessing sqlite database
file (/var/lib/mediatomb/mediatomb.db): Permission denied

> In the config.xml file you should have a line like:

Ah, okay, that's why, it works now :-)

>   <home>/home/stephen/.mediatomb</home>
>
> This should allow navigation on the PS3 through your file system making
> adding your media to the database unnecessary.

Well, it shows me only 'PC Directory', and no titles. That's okay,
because I'm not sure if I'd want it showing the contents of my home
dir on the PS3 :-\

I would _love_ it if there was some way to show the directory
structure of my media drive, but it only seems to show one level up or
down, so it's kind of a mess, especially if there is a duplicate, ie.

if i have /shows/30_rock/season_1

and /shows/american_dad/season_1

I only see one of them.

> It took me a while to get everything working, because my music is in .flac
> files and I had to transcode to pcm. But the quality is outstanding and the
> effort was worth it.
>
> Keep me posted.

Still hackin' away...

TBM

Thomas Milne | 8 Mar 03:28 2010

Re: : Frustrated with MediaTomb

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Thomas Milne
<tbrucemilne@...> wrote:
> [...]
> 2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Setting playlist charset to UTF-8
> 2010-03-07 20:36:10    INFO: Configuration check succeeded.
> 2010-03-07 20:36:11   ERROR: Error while accessing sqlite database
> file (/var/lib/mediatomb/mediatomb.db): Permission denied
>

>> In the config.xml file you should have a line like:
>
> Ah, okay, that's why, it works now :-)
>
>>   <home>/home/stephen/.mediatomb</home>
>>
>> This should allow navigation on the PS3 through your file system making
>> adding your media to the database unnecessary.
>
> Well, it shows me only 'PC Directory', and no titles. That's okay,
> because I'm not sure if I'd want it showing the contents of my home
> dir on the PS3 :-\
>
> I would _love_ it if there was some way to show the directory
> structure of my media drive, but it only seems to show one level up or
> down, so it's kind of a mess, especially if there is a duplicate, ie.

Got around this with using -a on the command line, and adding the
directories I want there. Works fine so far, shows the full directory
structure. Looking now to see if I can 'automate' that in the config
file or something.

>> It took me a while to get everything working, because my music is in .flac
>> files and I had to transcode to pcm. But the quality is outstanding and the
>> effort was worth it.
>>
>> Keep me posted.
>>

> Still hackin' away...
>
> --