Andreas Schwarz | 3 Feb 18:35 2004
Picon

Math Problems

Hello,

I installed Mediawiki 1.1.0, but there are no PNG images generated for
math formulas.

latex, dvips and convert are in the path and executable by the
webserver, and the following paths are writable:

$wgMathDirectory    = "/var/www/wiki.mikrocontroller.net/upload/math";
$wgTmpDirectory     = "/var/www/wiki.mikrocontroller.net/upload/tmp";

HTML formulas are displayed correctly, but no PNG image is created, both
$wgMathDirectory and $wgTmpDirectory are empty. The following message
appears in the Apache error log every time a formula is changed:

This is dvips(k) 5.86e Copyright 2001 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2004.02.03:1832' ->
<texc.pro>. [1]

Any hints?

Andreas
Brion Vibber | 3 Feb 20:54 2004
Picon

Re: Math Problems

On Feb 3, 2004, at 09:35, Andreas Schwarz wrote:
> HTML formulas are displayed correctly, but no PNG image is created,
> both
> $wgMathDirectory and $wgTmpDirectory are empty. The following message
> appears in the Apache error log every time a formula is changed:

Please see the updated README file:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/wikipedia/phase3/math/
README?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.4

First, stop texvc from deleting its temporary files. Edit render.ml and
add (* and *) around the 'Sys.remove' calls in unlink_all() to comment
them out. (Or just delete the lines.) Recompile texvc. This should
leave some fun looking files in the tmp directory on the next run. Try
manually converting the DVI file:

   dvips -R -E longtempfilename.dvi -f >output.eps

See if that looks ok.

Now convert that to PNG:

   convert -quality 100 -density 120 ps:- output.png <output.eps

Error messages from this last step are for some reason suppressed...
Note that convert shells out to Ghostscript (gs) among other things.

If you're lucky you'll see some obvious problem that can be corrected.
:) The Internet-Encyclopedia folks had a terrible time getting this
working because their login environment was, it turned out, on a
(Continue reading)

Andreas Schwarz | 5 Feb 19:05 2004
Picon

Re: Math Problems

Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2004, at 09:35, Andreas Schwarz wrote:
>> HTML formulas are displayed correctly, but no PNG image is created,
>> both
>> $wgMathDirectory and $wgTmpDirectory are empty. The following message
>> appears in the Apache error log every time a formula is changed:
>
> Please see the updated README file:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/wikipedia/phase3/math/
> README?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.4
>
> First, stop texvc from deleting its temporary files. Edit render.ml and
> add (* and *) around the 'Sys.remove' calls in unlink_all() to comment
> them out. (Or just delete the lines.) Recompile texvc. This should
> leave some fun looking files in the tmp directory on the next run. Try
> manually converting the DVI file:

Thanks, I didn't have ghostscript installed... everything OK now!

Gmane