Dan-George Filimon | 24 Jun 01:41 2011
Picon

Cannot setup macports, error on Xcode binaries

Please help:

$sudo port install guile

Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute

Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.

--->  Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?

--- --- ---
I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.
Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)

Thanks a lot,
Dan
Bjarne D Mathiesen | 24 Jun 02:29 2011

Re: Cannot setup macports, error on Xcode binaries

Dan-George Filimon wrote:
> Please help:
>
> $sudo port install guile
>
> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
>
> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely
> fail to build.

I had the exact same problem this morning :-(

Nothing I did seemed to fix the problem:
1) reinstall XCode4 both on top of the existing install
   as well as re-installing from scratch
2) making _really_ sure that ${PATH} is correct
3) trying to set the full ${PATH} in
   /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
3) re-install of the port binary
   on top of my existing install of macports

I'm sure my problem was caused by re-installing Mac OS X 10.6.7 on top
of an existing 10.6.7 as I had gotten a corrupt install of Mac OS X by
doing an rsync between some directories between two computers

However, I finally resorted to re-installing everything from the ground
up !!! This had the advantage of me finding some bugs in some of my
customised Portfiles ;-)

> --->  Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port:
> can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path:
> '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its
> MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
>
> --- --- ---
> I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.
> Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Dan

Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa
denne besked er skrevet i et totalt M$-frit miljø
MacOS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard ; 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 ; 16GB 1067MHz DDR3
                                       http://webadmin.mathiesen.info/
Ryan Schmidt | 24 Jun 02:54 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 18:41, Dan-George Filimon wrote:

> Please help:
>
> $sudo port install guile
>
> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
>
> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
>
> --->  Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to
locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its
MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?

> --- --- ---
> I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.
> Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)

What's in your .profile is irrelevant to MacPorts.

It sounds like Xcode is not installed correctly. This is one of the first items in our FAQ.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#missingxcode

Dan-George Filimon | 24 Jun 07:39 2011
Picon

Re: Cannot setup macports, error on Xcode binaries

Well, I too can confirm that I'm using Xcode 4.

It seems to make a difference I guess since the default install (I haven't touched the settings at all) seems to be broken on 10.6.7.

I'll try your suggestions tomorrow, since this all happened on my work laptop.

Thanks!

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign <at> macports.org> wrote:
On Jun 23, 2011, at 18:41, Dan-George Filimon wrote:

> Please help:
>
> $sudo port install guile
>
> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
>
> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
>
> --->  Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
>
> --- --- ---
> I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.
> Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)

What's in your .profile is irrelevant to MacPorts.

It sounds like Xcode is not installed correctly. This is one of the first items in our FAQ.

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#missingxcode

&gt; Please help:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; $sudo port install guile<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; ---&gt; &nbsp;Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?<br>

&gt;<br>
&gt; --- --- ---<br>
&gt; I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.<br>
&gt; Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)<br><br>
Jeremy Huddleston | 24 Jun 08:43 2011

Re: Cannot setup macports, error on Xcode binaries

The default install doesn't install the System Tools and UNIX Development packages.  If you want bits
installed in /usr in addition to /Developer, you need to install those packages.

--Jeremy

On Jun 23, 2011, at 22:39, Dan-George Filimon wrote:

> Well, I too can confirm that I'm using Xcode 4.
> It seems to make a difference I guess since the default install (I haven't
> touched the settings at all) seems to be broken on 10.6.7.
>
> I'll try your suggestions tomorrow, since this all happened on my work
> laptop.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign <at> macports.org>wrote:
>
>> On Jun 23, 2011, at 18:41, Dan-George Filimon wrote:
>>
>>> Please help:
>>>
>>> $sudo port install guile
>>>
>>> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
>>>
>>> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely
>> fail to build.
>>>
>>> --->  Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port:
>> can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path:
>> '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its
>> MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
>>>
>>> --- --- ---
>>> I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.
>>> Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)
>>
>> What's in your .profile is irrelevant to MacPorts.
>>
>> It sounds like Xcode is not installed correctly. This is one of the first
>> items in our FAQ.
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#missingxcode

Ryan Schmidt | 24 Jun 08:46 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 01:43, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> The default install doesn't install the System Tools and UNIX Development packages.  If you want bits
installed in /usr in addition to /Developer, you need to install those packages.

Ok, then that's a change from previous versions of Xcode, and we need to update our install instructions in
the guide and on the web site. Can you or someone who has seen this installer update the documentation, or at
least explain how to install those extra packages? The one user I emailed with said there were no options of
any kind when installing Xcode 4 from the App Store.

Jeremy Huddleston | 24 Jun 09:15 2011

On Jun 23, 2011, at 23:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Jun 24, 2011, at 01:43, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> The default install doesn't install the System Tools and UNIX Development packages.  If you want bits
installed in /usr in addition to /Developer, you need to install those packages.

> Ok, then that's a change from previous versions of Xcode, and we need to update our install instructions in
the guide and on the web site. Can you or someone who has seen this installer update the documentation, or at
least explain how to install those extra packages? The one user I emailed with said there were no options of
any kind when installing Xcode 4 from the App Store.

I've never installed XCode from the App Store, but I'm fairly certain it should be similar.  There should be
an option to install UNIX Development and System Tools.

I don't think this is a change from previous versions.  The wiki already told users to select the UNIX
Development package (I added the System Tools recommendation and removed the X11SDK reference just
now), and those packages have been in XCode as long as I've been using it.

--Jeremy

Ryan Schmidt | 24 Jun 10:31 2011

On Jun 24, 2011, at 02:15, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2011, at 23:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jun 24, 2011, at 01:43, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>>> The default install doesn't install the System Tools and UNIX Development packages.  If you want bits
installed in /usr in addition to /Developer, you need to install those packages.

>> Ok, then that's a change from previous versions of Xcode, and we need to update our install instructions
in the guide and on the web site. Can you or someone who has seen this installer update the documentation, or
at least explain how to install those extra packages? The one user I emailed with said there were no options
of any kind when installing Xcode 4 from the App Store.

> I've never installed XCode from the App Store, but I'm fairly certain it should be similar.  There should be
an option to install UNIX Development and System Tools.

> I don't think this is a change from previous versions.  The wiki already told users to select the UNIX
Development package (I added the System Tools recommendation and removed the X11SDK reference just
now), and those packages have been in XCode as long as I've been using it.

I know that those have always been options, when installing Xcode through the Installer. I wasn't aware
that the App Store used the Installer. In fact, wasn't won't-install-system-items supposed to be one of
the guarantees of the App Store, and listed as one of the reasons why MacPorts wouldn't be allowed on the App Store?

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-October/022506.html

Then again, Lion itself being distributed via the App Store kinda throws all that out the window.

Bjarne D Mathiesen | 24 Jun 10:48 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I know that those have always been options, when installing Xcode through the Installer. I wasn't aware
that the App Store used the Installer. In fact, wasn't won't-install-system-items supposed to be one of
the guarantees of the App Store, and listed as one of the reasons why MacPorts wouldn't be allowed on the App Store?

There are no options in the Xcode4 installer

> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-October/022506.html
>
> Then again, Lion itself being distributed via the App Store kinda throws all that out the window.

Apple sets the rules for the App Store.
Those rules are for _third_ _party_ developers.
Apple itself is of course not bound by those rules in any way.

All of their own programs from the App Store install support stuff in at
least /Library

Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa
denne besked er skrevet i et totalt M$-frit miljø
MacOS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard ; 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 ; 16GB 1067MHz DDR3
                                       http://webadmin.mathiesen.info/
Dominik Reichardt | 24 Jun 10:56 2011
Picon

Am 24.06.2011 um 10:48 schrieb Bjarne D Mathiesen:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I know that those have always been options, when installing Xcode through the Installer. I wasn't aware
that the App Store used the Installer. In fact, wasn't won't-install-system-items supposed to be one of
the guarantees of the App Store, and listed as one of the reasons why MacPorts wouldn't be allowed on the App Store?

> There are no options in the Xcode4 installer

yes, AFAICT xcode4 installs EVERYTHING. But can't say for sure as my system has been contaminated by Xcode
3.x stuff. The installer holds all the packages (developer tools, x11...).

Dom
Bjarne D Mathiesen | 24 Jun 11:15 2011

Dominik Reichardt wrote:

> Am 24.06.2011 um 10:48 schrieb Bjarne D Mathiesen:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> I know that those have always been options, when installing Xcode through the Installer. I wasn't aware
that the App Store used the Installer. In fact, wasn't won't-install-system-items supposed to be one of
the guarantees of the App Store, and listed as one of the reasons why MacPorts wouldn't be allowed on the App Store?

>> There are no options in the Xcode4 installer
>
> yes, AFAICT xcode4 installs EVERYTHING. But can't say for sure as my system has been contaminated by Xcode
3.x stuff. The installer holds all the packages (developer tools, x11...).

I bought a brand new MacBook Pro 17"
It has never seen even the shadow of Xcode3.
I installed Xcode4 by copying the installer from an iMac 27", and the
running it.
MacPorts worked perfectly - untill I reinstalled 10.6.7 on top of the
existing 10.6.7

So - I'ld like to know :
What actions has Dan-George Filimon done to his install of Mac OS X from
the last time he used 'port install <port>' and until this problem
raised it's ugly head ???

> Dom

Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa
denne besked er skrevet i et totalt M$-frit miljø
MacOS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard ; 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 ; 16GB 1067MHz DDR3
                                       http://webadmin.mathiesen.info/
Bjarne D Mathiesen | 24 Jun 11:01 2011

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jun 23, 2011, at 18:41, Dan-George Filimon wrote:
>
>> Please help:
>>
>> $sudo port install guile
>>
>> Warning: xcodebuild exists but failed to execute
>>
>> Warning: Xcode does not appear to be installed; most ports will likely fail to build.
>>
>> --->  Computing dependencies for guileError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to
locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its
MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?

>> --- --- ---
>> I've added the Xcode binaries to my .profile but it still doesn't work.
>> Invoking gcc/make/... from the command line works as normal :)
>
> What's in your .profile is irrelevant to MacPorts.
>
> It sounds like Xcode is not installed correctly. This is one of the first items in our FAQ.
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#missingxcode

As I wrote, I had the exact same problem, and I re-installed Xcode4 from
scratch, and MacPorts was _still_ unable to find Xcode4

My conclusion is that there's a corruption somewhere in MacPorts based
upon the fact, that when I re-installed MacPorts from the ground up I
had no problems at all !

Try pushing the MacPorts install to the side and re-install MacPorts:
mv /opt/local /opt/local-old

If the newly installed MacPorts can see Xcode4 then there's a corruption
in the old install of MacPorts

One could then erase the newly installed version and move the old one
back to see if the problem still persists:
rm -r /opt/local
mv /opt/local-old /opt/local

Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa
denne besked er skrevet i et totalt M$-frit miljø
MacOS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard ; 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 ; 16GB 1067MHz DDR3
                                       http://webadmin.mathiesen.info/
Zach | 4 Mar 04:46 2012
Picon

Re: Cannot setup macports, error on Xcode binaries

Hello All.

I was having this trouble after switching to Xcode 4.3 for Lion 10.7.3.
Xcode 4.3 is a packaged App that is installed at Applications/Xcode.app

Eventually, this is what worked for me...
$ sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/

after setting this, macports is back up and running great
talking to Xcode again.
YAY!

I hope this maybe helps someone else.

Cheers,