Chillosaurus | 17 May 15:59 2012

cygwin octave x11

I try to run octave in cygwin, which works fine, but if I want to draw a plot
it doesn't open a new window.
I'm a beginner with cygwin and unix-environments and was not able to find an
understandable solution.
Starting octave i get the following error:
warning: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
Typing "startx" I get the following:
xauth: (stdin):1:  bad "add" command line
[dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/OTF/, removing from
list
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock()
Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid
MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key..

I had this error message starting matlab, can that be fixed, is this the
same problem or a different one?
Warning: No display specified.  You will not be able to display graphics on
the screen.

thanks a lot

marco atzeri | 17 May 16:14 2012
Picon

Re: cygwin octave x11

On 5/17/2012 3:59 PM, Chillosaurus wrote:

> I try to run octave in cygwin, which works fine, but if I want to draw a plot
> it doesn't open a new window.
> I'm a beginner with cygwin and unix-environments and was not able to find an
> understandable solution.
> Starting octave i get the following error:
> warning: X11 DISPLAY environment variable not set
> Typing "startx" I get the following:
> xauth: (stdin):1:  bad "add" command line
> [dix] Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/OTF/, removing from
> list
> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but<RALT>  has 2 symbols
>>                    Ignoring extra symbols
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock()
> Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid
> MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyInvalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key..
>
> I had this error message starting matlab, can that be fixed, is this the
> same problem or a different one?
> Warning: No display specified.  You will not be able to display graphics on
> the screen.
>
> thanks a lot

Hi,
octave graphics need X running so please follows

(Continue reading)

Chillosaurus | 17 May 17:17 2012

Re: cygwin octave x11

I did cygcheck, it seems to be all of status OK. When executing I got a few
warnings. Guess they can be ignored ?
$ cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'DcomLaunch': Win32
error 5
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'pla': Win32 error 5
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'QWAVE': Win32 error 5
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcEptMapper': Win32
error 5
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcSs': Win32 error 5
http://old.nabble.com/file/p33864961/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out
Here is the XWin.0.log
http://old.nabble.com/file/p33864961/XWin.0.log XWin.0.log

starting x works, but when I open octave and try to make a plot, I get this:
octave:1> plot([1 4],[2 3],'--')
      2 [main] octave-3.6.1 2932 child_info_fork::abort:
C:\cygwin2\bin\cygfftw3-3.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x2C0000)
!= child(0x410000)
error: popen2: process creation failed -- Resource temporarily unavailable
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.1/m/plot/private/__gnuplot_open_stream__.m at
line 30, column 44
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.6.1/m/plot/__gnuplot_drawnow__.m at line 72,
column 19
octave:2>

hope that's helpfull
Thank you.
(Continue reading)

marco atzeri | 17 May 17:32 2012
Picon

Re: cygwin octave x11

On 5/17/2012 5:17 PM, Chillosaurus wrote:

> I did cygcheck, it seems to be all of status OK. When executing I got a few
> warnings. Guess they can be ignored ?
> $ cygcheck -s -v -r>  cygcheck.out

you forgot to attach cygcheck.out to the mail

> /usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'DcomLaunch': Win32
> error 5
> /usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'pla': Win32 error 5
> /usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'QWAVE': Win32 error 5
> /usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcEptMapper': Win32
> error 5
> /usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcSs': Win32 error 5
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p33864961/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out
> Here is the XWin.0.log
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p33864961/XWin.0.log XWin.0.log
>
> starting x works, but when I open octave and try to make a plot, I get this:
> octave:1>  plot([1 4],[2 3],'--')
>        2 [main] octave-3.6.1 2932 child_info_fork::abort:
> C:\cygwin2\bin\cygfftw3-3.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x2C0000)
> != child(0x410000)

this is a fork issue see:
http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.fixing-fork-failures

> error: popen2: process creation failed -- Resource temporarily unavailable
> error: called from:
(Continue reading)

Chillosaurus | 17 May 18:10 2012

no display specified

Thanks for the thougths. That's the solution.
Is there a chance I can use cygwin to run matlab (including plotting
functions etc.), which is located on another machine?

I'm getting this warning
Warning: No display specified.  You will not be able to display graphics on
the screen.

marco atzeri | 17 May 18:23 2012
Picon

Re: no display specified

On 5/17/2012 6:10 PM, Chillosaurus wrote:

> Thanks for the thougths. That's the solution.
> Is there a chance I can use cygwin to run matlab (including plotting
> functions etc.), which is located on another machine?
>
> I'm getting this warning
> Warning: No display specified.  You will not be able to display graphics on
> the screen.

some more data ?
Is the remote machine a Unix one ? If so the you can look at
http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding

If it is a windows machine I doubt matlab provides a X
interface usable by cygwin

Chillosaurus | 17 May 22:14 2012

Re: no display specified

 some more data ?
> Is the remote machine a Unix one ? If so the you can look at
> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding
Yes it is a Unix cluster. A2 worked, but Matlab is approx. 60 times slower
than normal - or even worse.
Can this be solved?

richardvoigt@gmail.com | 17 May 22:24 2012
Picon

Re: no display specified

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Chillosaurus <ottobob89 <at> gmx.de> wrote:

>  some more data ?
>> Is the remote machine a Unix one ? If so the you can look at
>> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding
> Yes it is a Unix cluster. A2 worked, but Matlab is approx. 60 times slower
> than normal - or even worse.
> Can this be solved?

Do you get the same slowdown when logging in with "ssh -Y" from a
Linux workstation?

Chillosaurus | 18 May 18:54 2012

Re: no display specified

> Do you get the same slowdown when logging in with "ssh -Y" from a
> Linux workstation?
No. No slowdown when connecting from a linux machine.

richardvoigt@gmail.com | 19 May 01:06 2012
Picon

Re: no display specified

Maybe check to see if different extensions are negotiated on the Linux
X server vs CygwinX ?

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Chillosaurus <ottobob89 <at> gmx.de> wrote:

>> Do you get the same slowdown when logging in with "ssh -Y" from a
>> Linux workstation?
> No. No slowdown when connecting from a linux machine.

Chillosaurus | 22 May 08:43 2012

Re: no display specified

Ben Voigt-2 wrote:

> Maybe check to see if different extensions are negotiated on the Linux
> X server vs CygwinX ?[...]
Yes, looks like there are. The .log - file is that from the linux machine. I
should have uploaded the windows component in an earlier post.
Can there be found a reason for the slowdown from this information?

Jon TURNEY | 25 Jun 15:44 2012
Picon

Re: no display specified

On 17/05/2012 21:14, Chillosaurus wrote:
>  some more data ?
>> Is the remote machine a Unix one ? If so the you can look at
>> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-ssh-no-x11forwarding
> Yes it is a Unix cluster. A2 worked, but Matlab is approx. 60 times slower
> than normal - or even worse.
> Can this be solved?

If the slowdown is in drawing, it might be due to the fact you are not getting
hardware accelerated OpenGL.  To get this with the Cygwin X server currently
(1) You must be using multiwindow mode, and (2) you must 'export
LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1' on the remote machine.  See [1].

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-aiglx.html

Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer