David Heyman | 23 Jan 02:12 2010

Problem with Installation: No option to select DOS lines endings, defaults to UNIX.

I am having a problem with an installation of Cygwin. When I run
setup.exe, I do not get an option for choosing line endings. So, I want
to select DOS ine endings but that option is never available during
setup, so it ends up being UNIX line endings. How do I force that option
during installation? Please help.

Corinna Vinschen | 23 Jan 12:08 2010

Re: Problem with Installation: No option to select DOS lines endings, defaults to UNIX.

On Jan 22 17:12, David Heyman wrote:
> I am having a problem with an installation of Cygwin. When I run
> setup.exe, I do not get an option for choosing line endings. So, I want
> to select DOS ine endings but that option is never available during
> setup, so it ends up being UNIX line endings. How do I force that option
> during installation? Please help.

Not possible.  The bin/textmode option in setup has been removed because
setup doesn't create the fstab file.  It's done using a script.  If you
want to use textmode mounts, add them to the fstab file after
installation using an editor.

Corinna

Red Hat

David Heyman | 25 Jan 18:51 2010

Re: Problem with Installation: No option to select DOS lines endings, defaults to UNIX.

Do you have any further help as to how I would achieve that? I am new to cygwin and *Nix, so any basic help is
appreciated. How to I set it up that all text file will have DOS line endings?

RE:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 03:09:10 -0800
On Jan 22 17:12, David Heyman wrote:
> I am having a problem with an installation of Cygwin. When I run
> setup.exe, I do not get an option for choosing line endings. So, I want
> to select DOS ine endings but that option is never available during
> setup, so it ends up being UNIX line endings. How do I force that option
> during installation? Please help.

Not possible.  The bin/textmode option in setup has been removed because
setup doesn't create the fstab file.  It's done using a script.  If you
want to use textmode mounts, add them to the fstab file after
installation using an editor.

Jeremy Bopp | 25 Jan 20:54 2010
Picon

On 1/25/2010 11:51 AM, David Heyman wrote:
> Do you have any further help as to how I would achieve that? I am new to cygwin and *Nix, so any basic help is
appreciated. How to I set it up that all text file will have DOS line endings?

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

That will document the general information you need.  You will also need
to add to /etc/fstab the output of running "mount -m" where you replace
the instances of "binary" in the fourth column of output with "text".

-Jeremy

Harig, Mark | 3 Nov 00:33 2004
Picon

RE: Problem with installing crontab on Cygwin(1.5.11/1005.11.0.0)/WinXP SP2

> I'm getting the following error when trying to install a
> crontab on my account:
>
> $ crontab -e
> # editing my crontab here...
> chown: Invalid argument

Please run this diagnostic script.  It will attempt to locate
many types of common problems with cron on cygwin.

Please read the output of the script carefully.  If it finds
problems, it suggests possible fixes, and it will also recommend
steps to take if it is unable to detect any problems

For what it is worth, crond is working on both Win2K and WinXP for me.

> I've tried updating my passwd (I live on a Win2K server domain) file
> in case it was out of date or missing local users (vs domain users),
> using
>
> $ mkpasswd -d -l -g > /etc/passwd

The following commands should give you a simple, and possibly valid,
password file:

(Continue reading)

Barry Kelly | 3 Nov 11:13 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:33:57 -0500, Harig, Mark wrote:
> I (Barry Kelly) wrote:
> > I'm getting the following error when trying to install a
> > crontab on my account:
> >
> > $ crontab -e
> > # editing my crontab here...
> > chown: Invalid argument
>
> Please run this diagnostic script.  It will attempt to locate
> many types of common problems with cron on cygwin.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg00207.html
>
> Please read the output of the script carefully.  If it finds
> problems, it suggests possible fixes, and it will also recommend
> steps to take if it is unable to detect any problems

I did what it suggested: the errors it notified me were that
/etc/passwd and /etc/group needed to be marked +r. I did this (chmod
0644).

> For what it is worth, crond is working on both Win2K and WinXP for me.

In the previous three installs of cygwin I did, it was working under
both Win2K and WinXP for me too.

However, crond (specifically, the daemon) isn't part of the problem.
Crontab fails with the error message even if the service hasn't been
started. I'll download the source and trace through it some time this
(Continue reading)

Pierre A. Humblet | 3 Nov 15:24 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 10:13:55AM +0000, Barry Kelly wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:33:57 -0500, Harig, Mark wrote:
> > I (Barry Kelly) wrote:
> > > I'm getting the following error when trying to install a
> > > crontab on my account:
> > >
> > > $ crontab -e
> > > # editing my crontab here...
> > > chown: Invalid argument
> >
> > Please run this diagnostic script.  It will attempt to locate
> > many types of common problems with cron on cygwin.
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg00207.html
> >
> > Please read the output of the script carefully.  If it finds
> > problems, it suggests possible fixes, and it will also recommend
> > steps to take if it is unable to detect any problems
>
> I did what it suggested: the errors it notified me were that
> /etc/passwd and /etc/group needed to be marked +r. I did this (chmod
> 0644).
>
> > For what it is worth, crond is working on both Win2K and WinXP for me.
>
> In the previous three installs of cygwin I did, it was working under
> both Win2K and WinXP for me too.
>
> However, crond (specifically, the daemon) isn't part of the problem.
> Crontab fails with the error message even if the service hasn't been
(Continue reading)

Barry Kelly | 3 Nov 15:34 2004
Picon

Re: Problem with installing crontab on Cygwin(1.5.11/1005.11.0.0)/WinXP SP2

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:24:37 -0500, Pierre A. Humblet
<pierre.humblet <at> ieee.org> wrote:

> crontab chowns the crontab file group to 18. Make sure that gid 18
> is in /etc/group. Also I find it hard to believe that the strace you
> got gives no useful information.

This did it. Group 18 (SYSTEM) was not in /etc/group; instead,
/etc/group only contained domain groups, not local groups. I ran
'mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group' to recreate the file.

Re strace: the strace gave (something like) this entry about the chown() call:

  165 14525235 [main] crontab 2600 chown_worker: -1 = chown
(tabs/tmp.002600,...)

This didn't give me enough information to figure out the missing
parameters. I believe crontab should print more verbose error output
for its critical failures.

Thanks for the tip. I would have found this out this evening if I had
to; you saved me a good 30 minutes. Thanks again!

-- Barry

Pierre A. Humblet | 3 Nov 16:08 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 02:34:03PM +0000, Barry Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:24:37 -0500, Pierre A. Humblet
> <pierre.humblet <at> ieee.org> wrote:
> >
> > crontab chowns the crontab file group to 18. Make sure that gid 18
> > is in /etc/group. Also I find it hard to believe that the strace you
> > got gives no useful information.
>
> This did it. Group 18 (SYSTEM) was not in /etc/group; instead,
> /etc/group only contained domain groups, not local groups. I ran
> 'mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group' to recreate the file.

Glad it's fixed.

Hey Mark, care to add another test to cron_diagnose?
(see sample in postinstall/exim.sh.done)

Pierre

Harig, Mark | 3 Nov 15:58 2004
Picon

RE: Problem with installing crontab on Cygwin(1.5.11/1005.11.0.0)/WinXP SP2

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:24:37 -0500, Pierre A. Humblet
> <pierre.humblet <at> ieee.org> wrote:
> >
> > crontab chowns the crontab file group to 18. Make sure that gid 18
> > is in /etc/group. Also I find it hard to believe that the strace you
> > got gives no useful information.
>
> This did it. Group 18 (SYSTEM) was not in /etc/group; instead,
> /etc/group only contained domain groups, not local groups. I ran
> 'mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group' to recreate the file.

This is strange.  The cron diagnostic script makes two checks for
this problem already.  In the first test, it checks to see that the
cron table has group ownership set to 'SYSTEM', and in the second
test, it checks to see that the cron table's group owner ID number
is '18'.  It assumes that 'id -un' reports your user name and that
your cron table is /var/cron/tabs/[user name].

---

Harig, Mark | 3 Nov 17:13 2004
Picon

RE: Problem with installing crontab on Cygwin(1.5.11/1005.11.0.0)/WinXP SP2

> > This did it. Group 18 (SYSTEM) was not in /etc/group; instead,
> > /etc/group only contained domain groups, not local groups. I ran
> > 'mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group' to recreate the file.
>
> Glad it's fixed.
>
> Hey Mark, care to add another test to cron_diagnose?
> (see sample in postinstall/exim.sh.done)
>
> Pierre

As I reported earlier, there are already two tests for this.

Please see lines 254 through 272 of version 1.7
of cron_diagnose.sh.  I must be misunderstanding this
problem because I cannot see why these tests do not
detect the error condition.

---

Pierre A. Humblet | 3 Nov 17:41 2004

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 11:13:13AM -0500, Harig, Mark wrote:

> > > This did it. Group 18 (SYSTEM) was not in /etc/group; instead,
> > > /etc/group only contained domain groups, not local groups. I ran
> > > 'mkgroup -l -d > /etc/group' to recreate the file.
> >
> > Glad it's fixed.
> >
> > Hey Mark, care to add another test to cron_diagnose?
> > (see sample in postinstall/exim.sh.done)
> >
> > Pierre
> >

> As I reported earlier, there are already two tests for this.
>
> Please see lines 254 through 272 of version 1.7
> of cron_diagnose.sh.  I must be misunderstanding this
> problem because I cannot see why these tests do not
> detect the error condition.

The existing tests check the group of the crontab file.
The problem reported here is that gid 18 was missing
from /etc/group file. It is possible that it was accidentally
deleted after the crontab file had been successfully created.

Pierre

Gmane