Kevin Layer | 27 Jan 23:29 2012
Picon

"git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

Attachment (cygcheck.out): text/x-news, 25 KiB
gmane.os.cygwin
Kevin Layer | 27 Jan 23:32 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

I don't know what happened to the email in transit, but much
information at the head of the email was chopped off.  From my outbox,
here's the missing bit:

*****************

This is the failure mode:

$ rm -fr test; git clone git:/repo/git/composer test
Cloning into test...
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed

$ 

That is not using the git protocol.  The machine is called `git'.

It fails most of the time, but it definitely works sometimes, and even
has stretches of successes.

At first, I thought it was isolated to large repos, but it definitely
happened on some smaller ones.

Larry Hall (Cygwin | 28 Jan 00:31 2012

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

On 1/27/2012 5:32 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
> This is the failure mode:
>
> $ rm -fr test; git clone git:/repo/git/composer test
> Cloning into test...
> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
> fatal: early EOF
> fatal: index-pack failed

Is this failure new or was it happening before this snapshot too?

--

-- 
Larry

_____________________________________________________________________

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
 >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?

Kevin Layer | 30 Jan 16:59 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>> On 1/27/2012 5:32 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
>> > This is the failure mode:
>> >
>> > $ rm -fr test; git clone git:/repo/git/composer test
>> > Cloning into test...
>> > fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>> > fatal: early EOF
>> > fatal: index-pack failed
>> 
>> Is this failure new or was it happening before this snapshot too?

It did not happen before this snapshot.

>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> Larry
>> 
>> _____________________________________________________________________
>> 
>> A: Yes.
>> > Q: Are you sure?
>> >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>> >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
>> 
>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>> Unsubscribe info:      http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple

Christopher Faylor | 28 Jan 19:38 2012

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 02:32:54PM -0800, Kevin Layer wrote:
>I don't know what happened to the email in transit, but much
>information at the head of the email was chopped off.  From my outbox,
>here's the missing bit:
>
>*****************
>
>This is the failure mode:
>
>$ rm -fr test; git clone git:/repo/git/composer test
>Cloning into test...
>fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>fatal: early EOF
>fatal: index-pack failed
>
>$ 
>
>That is not using the git protocol.  The machine is called `git'.
>
>It fails most of the time, but it definitely works sometimes, and even
>has stretches of successes.
>
>At first, I thought it was isolated to large repos, but it definitely
>happened on some smaller ones.

You really haven't provided any details beyond "git clone doesn't work"
along with cygcheck output.

You've previously reported that git worked great.  What changed?

What is the server that you're cloning from?  Another windows machine
running Cygwin?  A linux box?  Solaris?

What does "large repo" mean to you?  I just tried this on the gcc repo
which is, from my point of view, pretty big.  The clone succeeded without
problem.

Where is the server located?  Is it on a local network or is it from
somewhere on the internet?

From my reading of the git documentation, using the host:/path syntax
means you're using ssh to connect to the other machine.  Have you
checked the logs of the server to see if anything is reported?

Is this new behavior just seen with this snapshot or is it something you
noticed in 1.7.9?  If you've just seen it in the latest snapshot it
would be useful (as I've previously pleaded) to know in which snapshot
the bad behavior first showed up.

Kevin Layer | 30 Jan 17:05 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 02:32:54PM -0800, Kevin Layer wrote:
>> >I don't know what happened to the email in transit, but much
>> >information at the head of the email was chopped off.  From my outbox,
>> >here's the missing bit:
>> >
>> >*****************
>> >
>> >This is the failure mode:
>> >
>> >$ rm -fr test; git clone git:/repo/git/composer test
>> >Cloning into test...
>> >fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>> >fatal: early EOF
>> >fatal: index-pack failed
>> >
>> >$ 
>> >
>> >That is not using the git protocol.  The machine is called `git'.
>> >
>> >It fails most of the time, but it definitely works sometimes, and even
>> >has stretches of successes.
>> >
>> >At first, I thought it was isolated to large repos, but it definitely
>> >happened on some smaller ones.
>> 
>> You really haven't provided any details beyond "git clone doesn't work"
>> along with cygcheck output.

Well, I've shown the error message, and now answer the following
questions.  Hopefully that's enough.

>> You've previously reported that git worked great.  What changed?

This is a different machine.

>> What is the server that you're cloning from?  Another windows machine
>> running Cygwin?  A linux box?  Solaris?

The server is a linux box.

>> What does "large repo" mean to you?  I just tried this on the gcc repo
>> which is, from my point of view, pretty big.  The clone succeeded without
>> problem.

As I said, it does *not* have to do with size.

>> Where is the server located?  Is it on a local network or is it from
>> somewhere on the internet?

Local area network.

>> From my reading of the git documentation, using the host:/path syntax
>> means you're using ssh to connect to the other machine.  Have you
>> checked the logs of the server to see if anything is reported?

Have now and nothing.

>> Is this new behavior just seen with this snapshot or is it something you
>> noticed in 1.7.9?  If you've just seen it in the latest snapshot it
>> would be useful (as I've previously pleaded) to know in which snapshot
>> the bad behavior first showed up.

Never seen until the snapshot was installed.

More info:

Before the failure, I had removed and reinstalled cygwin, then
installed the snapshot.  The machine on which git works was upgraded
little at a time.

Kevin

Christopher Faylor | 30 Jan 17:16 2012

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:05:46AM -0800, Kevin Layer wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> Is this new behavior just seen with this snapshot or is it something you
>>> noticed in 1.7.9?  If you've just seen it in the latest snapshot it
>>> would be useful (as I've previously pleaded) to know in which snapshot
>>> the bad behavior first showed up.
>
>Never seen until the snapshot was installed.

That isn't precise enough.  Are you saying that you saw the problem in
the 2012-01-23 snapshot but not in the 2012-01-22 snapshot?  I'll bet
that you aren't.  If you think this is a problem only manifested in
snapshots then we need to know which snapshot first had the problem.

>More info:
>
>Before the failure, I had removed and reinstalled cygwin, then
>installed the snapshot.  The machine on which git works was upgraded
>little at a time.

OTOH, "little at a time" might mean that you stepped through snapshots.
However, since the only change to 2012-01-23 was to tweak fifos and, as
far as I know, git clone doesn't use a fifo, it's hard to see why there
would be a regression in 2012-01-23.

cgf

Kevin Layer | 30 Jan 22:39 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 08:05:46AM -0800, Kevin Layer wrote:
>> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >>> Is this new behavior just seen with this snapshot or is it something you
>> >>> noticed in 1.7.9?  If you've just seen it in the latest snapshot it
>> >>> would be useful (as I've previously pleaded) to know in which snapshot
>> >>> the bad behavior first showed up.
>> >
>> >Never seen until the snapshot was installed.
>> 
>> That isn't precise enough.  Are you saying that you saw the problem in
>> the 2012-01-23 snapshot but not in the 2012-01-22 snapshot?  I'll bet
>> that you aren't.  If you think this is a problem only manifested in
>> snapshots then we need to know which snapshot first had the
>> problem.

No.  I didn't see it in 1.7.9, but do see it in the referenced
snapshot.

>> >More info:
>> >
>> >Before the failure, I had removed and reinstalled cygwin, then
>> >installed the snapshot.  The machine on which git works was upgraded
>> >little at a time.
>> 
>> OTOH, "little at a time" might mean that you stepped through
>> snapshots.

No, I meant that the machine on which I've never seen the failure,
even with the same 1/23 snapshot, had the packages on it upgraded once
a month (roughly).  I didn't remove everything and reinstall once a
month, for example.

On the machine that I have seen the errors, I removed everything,
because I was in a weird state with my msysgit testing, so I thought
it best to start from scratch.  I removed msysgit and gnuwin32, as
well.

>> However, since the only change to 2012-01-23 was to tweak fifos and, as
>> far as I know, git clone doesn't use a fifo, it's hard to see why there
>> would be a regression in 2012-01-23.

If you can think of some other tests I could perform, I'd be happy to
do it.  The machine with the failures is not a critical development
machine, so it's pretty open to what I can do.

Kevin Layer | 30 Jan 22:45 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

I've reverted the cygwin1.dll to the released 1.7.9 version.  I will
do a bunch of testing to see if I get clone failures, and report back.

Kevin Layer | 30 Jan 23:03 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

I already got through one iteration of cloning all 52 repos, and I
wasn't able to do that with the 1/23 snapshot in place.

I'll keep running it, in a loop, to see if I ever get a failure.

Kevin Layer | 30 Jan 23:53 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

Well over 200 clones with no error with the stock 1.7.9 cygwin1.dll,
changing nothing else on the machine.

Larry Hall (Cygwin | 31 Jan 00:09 2012

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

On 1/30/2012 5:53 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
> Well over 200 clones with no error with the stock 1.7.9 cygwin1.dll,
> changing nothing else on the machine.

Can you check for the most recent snapshot that does work for you?

--

-- 
Larry

_____________________________________________________________________

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
 >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?

Kevin Layer | 31 Jan 03:00 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

>> On 1/30/2012 5:53 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
>> > Well over 200 clones with no error with the stock 1.7.9 cygwin1.dll,
>> > changing nothing else on the machine.
>> 
>> Can you check for the most recent snapshot that does work for you?

It took a while, but it works in 11/24 and fails in 11/29.

It did about ~500 clones on 11/24, so I'd say that's rock solid.

Kevin

Kevin Layer | 1 Feb 20:44 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

  Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

  >> On 1/30/2012 5:53 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
  >> > Well over 200 clones with no error with the stock 1.7.9 cygwin1.dll,
  >> > changing nothing else on the machine.
  >> 
  >> Can you check for the most recent snapshot that does work for you?

  It took a while, but it works in 11/24 and fails in 11/29.

  It did about ~500 clones on 11/24, so I'd say that's rock solid.

Is this all that is needed?  It's been all quiet since my email.

Larry Hall (Cygwin | 1 Feb 20:51 2012

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

On 2/1/2012 2:44 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
>    Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>
>    >>  On 1/30/2012 5:53 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
>    >>  >  Well over 200 clones with no error with the stock 1.7.9 cygwin1.dll,
>    >>  >  changing nothing else on the machine.
>    >>
>    >>  Can you check for the most recent snapshot that does work for you?
>
>    It took a while, but it works in 11/24 and fails in 11/29.
>
>    It did about ~500 clones on 11/24, so I'd say that's rock solid.
>
> Is this all that is needed?  It's been all quiet since my email.

No news is good news. ;-)  But keep an eye out in case more info is
requested.

Thanks,
--

-- 
Larry

_____________________________________________________________________

A: Yes.
 > Q: Are you sure?
 >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
 >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?

Corinna Vinschen | 2 Feb 09:45 2012

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

On Feb  1 11:44, Kevin Layer wrote:
>   Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> 
>   >> On 1/30/2012 5:53 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
>   >> > Well over 200 clones with no error with the stock 1.7.9 cygwin1.dll,
>   >> > changing nothing else on the machine.
>   >> 
>   >> Can you check for the most recent snapshot that does work for you?
> 
>   It took a while, but it works in 11/24 and fails in 11/29.
> 
>   It did about ~500 clones on 11/24, so I'd say that's rock solid.
> 
> Is this all that is needed?  It's been all quiet since my email.

You could test the latest snapshot 2012-02-01.  I ran git on it for a
couple of hours with no early EOF.

Corinna

--

-- 
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat

Kevin Layer | 4 Feb 18:20 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> On Feb  1 11:44, Kevin Layer wrote:
>> >   Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> > 
>> >   >> On 1/30/2012 5:53 PM, Kevin Layer wrote:
>> >   >> > Well over 200 clones with no error with the stock 1.7.9 cygwin1.dll,
>> >   >> > changing nothing else on the machine.
>> >   >> 
>> >   >> Can you check for the most recent snapshot that does work for you?
>> > 
>> >   It took a while, but it works in 11/24 and fails in 11/29.
>> > 
>> >   It did about ~500 clones on 11/24, so I'd say that's rock solid.
>> > 
>> > Is this all that is needed?  It's been all quiet since my email.
>> 
>> You could test the latest snapshot 2012-02-01.  I ran git on it for a
>> couple of hours with no early EOF.

Corinna,

I'd say it's working.  Done almost 200 clones and no failures.

I'll let it run for a few hours and report if there are any failures.

Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin Layer | 4 Feb 23:51 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

More than 2600 iterations.  I'd say this snapshot doesn't have this
particular bug.

Kevin Layer | 31 Jan 00:09 2012
Picon

Re: "git clone" over ssh fails intermittently w/snapshot 20120123

I swapped back in the 1/23 cygwin1.dll and ran the test.  It failed on
the first clone.

I'm done with my testing.  Let me know if there's something else you
want done.


Gmane