Jack Profit | 11 Mar 20:19 2012
Picon

"Inappropriate ioctl for device" problem using latest cygwin as a shell within native (non-cygwin) GnuEmac

After upgrading my cygwin environment this morning to version
1.7.11-1, I am no longer able to use cygwin bash as a shell within
native GnuEmacs (Windows).

When I invoke M-x shell, I now get the following output in the shell window:

bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
bash: no job control in this shell
$

The shell window is functional, but as the error message suggests, I
have no Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z or other job control functions.

Here are my shell related .emacs settings:
(setq explicit-shell-file-name "c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe")

I am using:
GnuEmacs version 23.4.1 (latest)
Bash version 4.1.10-4
also Bash version 3.2.51-24 (removes error message, but job control
still doesn't work)

I also tried the cygwin1.dll from the 3/10 snapshot and saw no
difference in behavior.

Jack

Ken Brown | 11 Mar 20:42 2012
Picon

Re: "Inappropriate ioctl for device" problem using latest cygwin as a shell within native (non-cygwin) GnuEmac

On 3/11/2012 3:19 PM, Jack Profit wrote:
> After upgrading my cygwin environment this morning to version
> 1.7.11-1, I am no longer able to use cygwin bash as a shell within
> native GnuEmacs (Windows).
>
> When I invoke M-x shell, I now get the following output in the shell window:
>
> bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device
> bash: no job control in this shell
> $
>
> The shell window is functional, but as the error message suggests, I
> have no Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z or other job control functions.
>
> Here are my shell related .emacs settings:
> (setq explicit-shell-file-name "c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe")
>
> I am using:
> GnuEmacs version 23.4.1 (latest)
> Bash version 4.1.10-4
> also Bash version 3.2.51-24 (removes error message, but job control
> still doesn't work)
>
> I also tried the cygwin1.dll from the 3/10 snapshot and saw no
> difference in behavior.

I doubt if the Cygwin developers are going to be able to track this down 
unless you can find a way to reproduce the problem without using native 
emacs.  Can you look into the emacs source for the native build and see 
how it is creating the bash process?  Maybe you can extract a simple 
(Continue reading)

Ken Brown | 11 Mar 20:47 2012
Picon

Re: "Inappropriate ioctl for device" problem using latest cygwin as a shell within native (non-cygwin) GnuEmac

On 3/11/2012 3:42 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/11/2012 3:19 PM, Jack Profit wrote:
>> After upgrading my cygwin environment this morning to version
>> 1.7.11-1, I am no longer able to use cygwin bash as a shell within
>> native GnuEmacs (Windows).
>>
>> When I invoke M-x shell, I now get the following output in the shell
>> window:
>>
>> bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for
>> device
>> bash: no job control in this shell
>> $
>>
>> The shell window is functional, but as the error message suggests, I
>> have no Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z or other job control functions.
>>
>> Here are my shell related .emacs settings:
>> (setq explicit-shell-file-name "c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe")
>>
>> I am using:
>> GnuEmacs version 23.4.1 (latest)
>> Bash version 4.1.10-4
>> also Bash version 3.2.51-24 (removes error message, but job control
>> still doesn't work)
>>
>> I also tried the cygwin1.dll from the 3/10 snapshot and saw no
>> difference in behavior.
>
> I doubt if the Cygwin developers are going to be able to track this down
(Continue reading)

Jack | 12 Mar 02:43 2012
Picon

Re:

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:

> 
> Another (easier) thing you could do is try various snapshots between 
> versions 1.7.10 and 1.7.11 of cygwin1.dll and pinpoint exactly when the 
> problem first occurred.
> 
> Ken
> 
> 

Sadly, even the oldest cygwin1.dll snapshot (from 7/30/11) seems to have this 
issue. There is a pointer on the emacs lists (for MacOS) that says I should 
recompile with #define DONT_REOPEN_PTYS to avoid the "inappropriate ioctl for 
device" problem. I was hoping to avoid recompiling emacs but I guess I'll give 
that a try. :)

Thanks for the ideas Ken.

Jack

Trey Greer | 6 May 04:35 2012

Re:

Jack <jack.profit <at> gmail.com> writes:

> 
> Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
> 
> > 
> > Another (easier) thing you could do is try various snapshots between 
> > versions 1.7.10 and 1.7.11 of cygwin1.dll and pinpoint exactly when the 
> > problem first occurred.
> > 
> > Ken
> > 
> > 
> 
> Sadly, even the oldest cygwin1.dll snapshot (from 7/30/11) seems to have this 
> issue. There is a pointer on the emacs lists (for MacOS) that says I should 
> recompile with #define DONT_REOPEN_PTYS to avoid the "inappropriate ioctl for 
> device" problem. I was hoping to avoid recompiling emacs but I guess I'll give 
> that a try. :)
> 
> Thanks for the ideas Ken.
> 
> Jack
> 
> 

Looking through the native (Windows) emacs 23.4.1 source, I don't
see how cygwin bash job control could ever have worked.  When I
do a ctrl-C ctrl-Z (emacs speak for suspend job) in the bash
shell in shell mode, emacs gives me the message 'No SIGTSTP
(Continue reading)

Trey Greer | 6 May 04:59 2012

Re: "Inappropriate ioctl for device" problem using latest cygwin as a shell within native (non-cygwin) GnuEmac

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:

> 
> On 3/11/2012 3:42 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> > On 3/11/2012 3:19 PM, Jack Profit wrote:
> >> After upgrading my cygwin environment this morning to version
> >> 1.7.11-1, I am no longer able to use cygwin bash as a shell within
> >> native GnuEmacs (Windows).
> >>
> >> When I invoke M-x shell, I now get the following output in the shell
> >> window:
> >>
> >> bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for
> >> device
> >> bash: no job control in this shell
> >> $
> >>
> >> The shell window is functional, but as the error message suggests, I
> >> have no Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Z or other job control functions.
> >>
> >> Here are my shell related .emacs settings:
> >> (setq explicit-shell-file-name "c:/cygwin/bin/bash.exe")
> >>
> >> I am using:
> >> GnuEmacs version 23.4.1 (latest)
> >> Bash version 4.1.10-4
> >> also Bash version 3.2.51-24 (removes error message, but job control
> >> still doesn't work)
> >>
> >> I also tried the cygwin1.dll from the 3/10 snapshot and saw no
(Continue reading)


Gmane