Ed | 4 Jul 23:30 2012

1.7.15: periodically losing network interfaces under Win7 x64

Under normal circumstances, I have 9 network interfaces (between VPN,
wireless, etc).  These show up when I first start a bash shell with
"ipconfig /all".  However, periodically cygwin seems to be losing
access to all network interfaces.  When this happens, I only see the
basic "Windows IP Configuration" header with my hostname & DNS
information.

I've tried starting the bash session as administrator with the same
result.  Not even sure how to debug this one.  Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks!
Attachment (cygcheck.out): application/octet-stream, 92 KiB
Under normal circumstances, I have 9 network interfaces (between VPN,
wireless, etc).  These show up when I first start a bash shell with
"ipconfig /all".  However, periodically cygwin seems to be losing
access to all network interfaces.  When this happens, I only see the
basic "Windows IP Configuration" header with my hostname & DNS
information.

I've tried starting the bash session as administrator with the same
result.  Not even sure how to debug this one.  Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks!
Cliff Hones | 5 Jul 02:23 2012
Picon

Re: 1.7.15: periodically losing network interfaces under Win7 x64

On 04/07/2012 22:30, Ed wrote:
> Under normal circumstances, I have 9 network interfaces (between VPN,
> wireless, etc).  These show up when I first start a bash shell with
> "ipconfig /all".  However, periodically cygwin seems to be losing
> access to all network interfaces.  When this happens, I only see the
> basic "Windows IP Configuration" header with my hostname & DNS
> information.
>
> I've tried starting the bash session as administrator with the same
> result.  Not even sure how to debug this one.  Any help is
> appreciated.

What reasons do you have for thinking this is a Cygwin problem?  Network
connections are managed by Windows, not Cygwin, and ipconfig is a
MS Windows application.  [You will see the same running it under
the MS command shell.]

-- Cliff

Ed | 5 Jul 15:40 2012

Re: 1.7.15: periodically losing network interfaces under Win7 x64

> What reasons do you have for thinking this is a Cygwin problem?  Network
> connections are managed by Windows, not Cygwin, and ipconfig is a
> MS Windows application.  [You will see the same running it under
> the MS command shell.]

Cliff - thanks for the quick reply.  The interesting thing is when
this occurs, I can open an MS command shell and still see all the
interfaces.  I agree this is somehow tied to Win7 (possibly security?)
and how it works with Cygwin.  Looking for ideas on how to debug it.
The Windows security & application logs provide no clues.

Gmane