wynfield | 14 Sep 15:18 2013
Picon

Build Failure for APR library

I read that Apache would build on Cygwin out-of-the-box, but found out that isn't the case now if it was
before.  Or my setup is wrong.

I wanted to build:
  	 Apache    VERS=2.4.6  which is httpd-2.4.6

This requires the two libraries  apr and apr-util

After running configure with a success return code, I attempted to make apr, but it failed with the
following message:

I'd reeally appreciate some advice on how to fix this.
Regards

                from /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/src/apache/httpd-2.4.6/srclib/apr/include/arch/unix/apr_private.h:996,
                 from passwd/apr_getpass.c:22:
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/4.7.3/../../../../include/w32api/winsock2.h:997:46: note:
previous declaration of 'getservbyname' was here          -----------------
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/src/apache/httpd-2.4.6/srclib/apr/build/apr_rules.mk:202: recipe for
target `passwd/apr_getpass.lo' failed

make[1]: *** [passwd/apr_getpass.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/src/apache/httpd-2.4.6/srclib/apr'
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/src/apache/httpd-2.4.6/srclib/apr/build/apr_rules.mk:114: recipe for
target `all-recursive' failed
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
(Continue reading)

David Rothenberger | 14 Sep 21:35 2013
Picon

Re: Build Failure for APR library

On 9/14/2013 6:18 AM, wynfield <at> gmail.com wrote:
> I read that Apache would build on Cygwin out-of-the-box, but found out that isn't the case now if it was
before.  Or my setup is wrong.

> I wanted to build:
>   	 Apache    VERS=2.4.6  which is httpd-2.4.6
>
> This requires the two libraries  apr and apr-util

apr and apr-util libraries are already packaged for Cygwin as
libapr1-devel and libaprutil1-devel respectively. If you wish to see how
they are built for Cygwin, you can download the source for the packages
and look at the cygport build script.

FYI, apache2 is also available as a pre-built package for Cygwin. You
can also download its source package to see how it is built.

David Rothenberger  ----  daveroth <at> acm.org

Hale Mail Rule, The:
        When you are ready to reply to a letter, you will lack at least
        one of the following:
                (a) A pen or pencil or typewriter.
                (b) Stationery.
                (c) Postage stamp.
                (d) The letter you are answering.

wynfield | 15 Sep 14:45 2013
Picon

Re: Build Failure for APR library

Thanks for the information.  I thought cygwin's httpd version was older.   I downloaded and isntalled it with
setup.exe.  But I couldn't get it to run successfully.

I installed it like this:

 $ cygrunsrv -I httpd2 -O -p /usr/sbin/httpd2.exe -e CYGWIN="ntsec tty"

 $ cygrunsrv -S httpd2

  Error: The console displays:
     - cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:

   and the eEvent Log Shows:
      1st:  PID 2252: `httpd2' service started.
      2nd:  PID 3356: service `httpd2' failed: signal 12 raised.

 I gave all log files, etc rwx permissions for everthing I could think of, but it still shuts down after
starting up.

Regards

---

David Rothenberger
> On 9/14/2013 6:18 AM, wynfield
> > I read that Apache would build on Cygwin out-of-the-box, but found out that isn't the case now if it was
before.  Or my setup is wrong.

> > I wanted to build:
(Continue reading)

wynfield | 15 Sep 15:08 2013
Picon

Re: Build Failure for APR library

Re: Apache httpd run failure.  Also no data is being writting to log files.
So the service is started seemingly fine, then it shuts down without any error messages being written out.

Regards

David Rothenberger | 15 Sep 19:04 2013

On 9/15/2013 6:08 AM, wynfield <at> gmail.com wrote:
> Re: Apache httpd run failure.  Also no data is being writting to log files.
> So the service is started seemingly fine, then it shuts down without any error messages being written out.

I don't use Apache under Cygwin myself, but I suggest you get it running
first by invoking it directly from a shell, then move on to configuring
it as a service.

David Rothenberger  ----  daveroth <at> acm.org

byob, v:
        Believing Your Own Bull

d.henman | 16 Sep 09:01 2013
Picon

Re: Build Failure for APR library

I tried running httpd2 by hand and it dies immediately and violently:

 $ httpd2
zsh: invalid system call (core dumped)  httpd2

 $  cat httpd2.exe.stackdump
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args

When executed from the bash shell:

$ /usr/sbin/httpd2
Bad system call (core dumped)
xxx <at> binki /tmp
$ echo $?
140

A crash like this is not a gracefull exit.  I wonder how one would fine find out about which system call caused
the crash.   The MS event look does not showi it.

Is this the same for other folks.  You don't have to use it just download it and run it and report if you get a "bad
system call" error message.

Regards,

David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 9/15/2013 6:08 AM, wynfield wrote:
> > Re: Apache httpd run failure.  Also no data is being writting to log files.
> > So the service is started seemingly fine, then it shuts down without any error messages being written out.
(Continue reading)

Larry Hall (Cygwin | 16 Sep 18:46 2013

On 9/16/2013 3:01 AM, d.henman wrote:
> I tried running httpd2 by hand and it dies immediately and violently:
>
>   $ httpd2
> zsh: invalid system call (core dumped)  httpd2
>
>   $  cat httpd2.exe.stackdump
> Stack trace:
> Frame     Function  Args
>
> When executed from the bash shell:
>
> $ /usr/sbin/httpd2
> Bad system call (core dumped)
> xxx <at> binki /tmp
> $ echo $?
> 140
>
> A crash like this is not a gracefull exit. I wonder how one would fine
> find out about which system call caused the crash. The MS event look does
> not showi it.

This means you're not running Cygserver.  Apache on Cygwin requires this.
See the documentation for Cygserver here:

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygserver.html>

Larry

(Continue reading)

wynfield | 17 Sep 06:06 2013
Picon

Re: Build Failure for APR library

Larry thank you.  Your message helped me get Apache httpd up and running.

For other people after getting cygserver up and running, you will then
have to set the CYGWIN environment variable so that it contains the string "server"
and you will also have to  "rebaseall."

Regards

Larry Hall (Cygwin wrote:

> On 9/16/2013 3:01 AM, d.henman wrote:
> > I tried running httpd2 by hand and it dies immediately and violently:
> >
> >   $ httpd2
> > zsh: invalid system call (core dumped)  httpd2
> >
> >   $  cat httpd2.exe.stackdump
> > Stack trace:
> > Frame     Function  Args
> >
> > When executed from the bash shell:
> >
> > $ /usr/sbin/httpd2
> > Bad system call (core dumped)
> > xxxATinki /tmp
> > $ echo $?
> > 140
> >
> > A crash like this is not a gracefull exit. I wonder how one would fine
(Continue reading)

Larry Hall (Cygwin | 17 Sep 15:31 2013

On 9/17/2013 12:06 AM, wynfield at gmail dot com wrote:
> Larry thank you.  Your message helped me get Apache httpd up and running.

Glad you were able to get it running.

> For other people after getting cygserver up and running, you will then
> have to set the CYGWIN environment variable so that it contains the string "server"
> and you will also have to  "rebaseall."

Actually, "server" is an obsolete setting of the CYGWIN environment
variable.

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html#cygwinenv-removed-options>

Larry