Fluffles | 4 Jun 16:49 2007
Picon

GEOM an acryonym?

Hello list,

We all know GEOM, but where GEOM got it's name from is not very well
documented. I found two sources claiming it to be an acronym for
"Geometry" and would like to verify this. The sources are:

http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GEOM

Both leave something to be desired: the first source is from it's author
but does not indicate if GEOM is truely derived from Geometry. The
second does not state if the name is to be seen in FreeBSD context. I'm
writing the GEOM-article on english wikipedia and would like this
clarified, thanks!

- Veronica
Poul-Henning Kamp | 4 Jun 17:14 2007
Picon

Re: GEOM an acryonym?

In message <4664266D.8090704 <at> fluffles.net>, Fluffles writes:
>Hello list,
>
>We all know GEOM, but where GEOM got it's name from is not very well
>documented. I found two sources claiming it to be an acronym for
>"Geometry" and would like to verify this. The sources are:
>
>http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/Geom/
>http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GEOM
>
>Both leave something to be desired: the first source is from it's author
>but does not indicate if GEOM is truely derived from Geometry.

It is.  Truly.

phk <at> FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
RW | 4 Jun 17:06 2007
Picon

Re: GEOM an acryonym?

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:49:17 +0200
Fluffles <etc <at> fluffles.net> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> We all know GEOM, but where GEOM got it's name from is not very well
> documented. I found two sources claiming it to be an acronym for
> "Geometry" and would like to verify this.

By definition GEOM is not an acronym for Geometry.

Gmane