Lars Eighner | 6 Feb 03:20 2009

Xorg disaster


Xorg upgrade (gory details follow) went south.  I must have a working
graphics browser by Monday.  This is pretty much *vital*, as in a matter of
survival.

What is the fastest and/or surest way to get a platform that will run
firefox or opera?

a. try to get my nvidia hardware to work with a generic (vesa or vga) driver?
b. try to downgrade Xorg to something that worked.

Hints on either course would be appreciated.

What happened: upgraded system from 7.1 prerelease to 7.1 release p2.

cvsupped the ports tree.  Upgraded Xorg and nvidia-driver (after upgrading
perl and everything portupgrade -fr perl5.8 will upgrade (as the script
failed miserably).  This was after 20090124 when the mouse problem was
supposed to be fixed.

What happens:  first there is something undefined in nvidia's libwfb
so I changed the symbolic link to point to Xorg's version of the lib.
That message went away, but there are tons of "Generic Event Extension"
missing messages and no mouse --- what is more the accessibility keypad
mouse thing doesn't work at all.

I can't pay my bills and I can't get to another computer to use someone
else's browser to do it.

--

-- 
(Continue reading)

matt donovan | 6 Feb 03:47 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:20 PM, Lars Eighner <portsuser <at> larseighner.com>wrote:

>
>
> Xorg upgrade (gory details follow) went south.  I must have a working
> graphics browser by Monday.  This is pretty much *vital*, as in a matter of
> survival.
>
> What is the fastest and/or surest way to get a platform that will run
> firefox or opera?
>
> a. try to get my nvidia hardware to work with a generic (vesa or vga)
> driver?
> b. try to downgrade Xorg to something that worked.
>
> Hints on either course would be appreciated.
>
> What happened: upgraded system from 7.1 prerelease to 7.1 release p2.
>
> cvsupped the ports tree.  Upgraded Xorg and nvidia-driver (after upgrading
> perl and everything portupgrade -fr perl5.8 will upgrade (as the script
> failed miserably).  This was after 20090124 when the mouse problem was
> supposed to be fixed.
>
> What happens:  first there is something undefined in nvidia's libwfb
> so I changed the symbolic link to point to Xorg's version of the lib.
> That message went away, but there are tons of "Generic Event Extension"
> missing messages and no mouse --- what is more the accessibility keypad
> mouse thing doesn't work at all.
>
(Continue reading)

Alex Goncharov | 6 Feb 04:51 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

,--- You/Lars (Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:20:50 -0600 (CST)) ----*
| Xorg upgrade (gory details follow) went south.  I must have a working
| graphics browser by Monday.  This is pretty much *vital*, as in a matter of
| survival.

Been there (last week) -- know what you mean.

| What is the fastest and/or surest way to get a platform that will run
| firefox or opera?
| 
| a. try to get my nvidia hardware to work with a generic (vesa or vga) driver?
| b. try to downgrade Xorg to something that worked.

I tried "b" -- very successfully.

The path is (roughly):

1. Find the dependencies of xproto and xextproto:

   pkg_info -R xproto-\* xextproto-\* | wc -l

   Prepare to remove those (new) packages from your system.

2. Before you remove them, record their names and origins -- you will
   need them to either get their old versions from ftp.freebsd.org or
   too build from ports source.

3. Remove the packages identified in step 1.

4. FTP-get or build the old versions.
(Continue reading)

Glen Barber | 6 Feb 04:55 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Alex Goncharov
<alex-goncharov <at> comcast.net> wrote:
> The path is (roughly):
>
> 1. Find the dependencies of xproto and xextproto:
>
>   pkg_info -R xproto-\* xextproto-\* | wc -l
>
>   Prepare to remove those (new) packages from your system.
>

I, too, chose plan 'b'.  However, I did it differently.  After
building Xorg, I removed xorg-server, xorg-drivers, and hal, and
re-installed them w/ pkg_add.

--

-- 
Glen Barber
_______________________________________________
freebsd-ports <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-ports-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

Alex Goncharov | 6 Feb 05:01 2009
Picon
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

,--- Glen Barber (Thu, 5 Feb 2009 22:55:07 -0500) ----*
| On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Alex Goncharov
| <alex-goncharov <at> comcast.net> wrote:
| > The path is (roughly):
| >
| > 1. Find the dependencies of xproto and xextproto:
| >
| >   pkg_info -R xproto-\* xextproto-\* | wc -l
| >
| >   Prepare to remove those (new) packages from your system.
| 
| I, too, chose plan 'b'.  However, I did it differently.  After
| building Xorg, I removed xorg-server, xorg-drivers, and hal, and
| re-installed them w/ pkg_add.
|
`--------------------------------------------------*

Which reminds me: instead of FTP, you can just use "pkg_add -r" -- it
should get you the old (good) packages from the FTP site.

I used direct FTP for the sake of having more control, but "pkg_add
-r" should get you there -- and faster.

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov <at> comcast.net --
_______________________________________________
freebsd-ports <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-ports-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

(Continue reading)

Lars Eighner | 6 Feb 19:11 2009

Re: Xorg disaster

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Alex Goncharov wrote:

> ,--- You/Lars (Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:20:50 -0600 (CST)) ----*
> | Xorg upgrade (gory details follow) went south.  I must have a working
> | graphics browser by Monday.  This is pretty much *vital*, as in a matter of
> | survival.
>
> Been there (last week) -- know what you mean.
>
> | What is the fastest and/or surest way to get a platform that will run
> | firefox or opera?
> |
> | a. try to get my nvidia hardware to work with a generic (vesa or vga) driver?
> | b. try to downgrade Xorg to something that worked.
>
> I tried "b" -- very successfully.
>
> The path is (roughly):
>
> 1. Find the dependencies of xproto and xextproto:
>
>   pkg_info -R xproto-\* xextproto-\* | wc -l
>
>   Prepare to remove those (new) packages from your system.
>
> 2. Before you remove them, record their names and origins -- you will
>   need them to either get their old versions from ftp.freebsd.org or
>   too build from ports source.
>
> 3. Remove the packages identified in step 1.
(Continue reading)

Scot Hetzel | 6 Feb 21:45 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Lars Eighner <portsuser <at> larseighner.com> wrote:
>> I use the nv driver BTW -- perfectly -- in the old (downgraded to) X.
>
> yes xorg 7.3 seems to work perfectly.  The display would work but the mouse
> wouldn't with 7.4.  I suspect the fix for the hal-moused battle does not
> work nv.
>
The video driver (nv) shouldn't have any effect on an input driver (mouse).

If you still have xorg 7.4 installed, try running hal-device and check
if your mouse is enabled or ignored.

I had this problem due to an extra configuration file under
/usr/local/share/hal that had disabled hal's ability to manage my
/dev/psm0.

If you can post both the output of hal-device and the Xorg.0.log (from
xorg 7.4), someone should be able to resolve your mouse issue.

Scot
_______________________________________________
freebsd-ports <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-ports-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

Peter Ulrich Kruppa | 6 Feb 16:12 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

Lars Eighner schrieb:
> 
> 
> Xorg upgrade (gory details follow) went south.  I must have a working
> graphics browser by Monday.  This is pretty much *vital*, as in a matter of
> survival.
> 
> What is the fastest and/or surest way to get a platform that will run
> firefox or opera?
> 
> a. try to get my nvidia hardware to work with a generic (vesa or vga) 
> driver?
> b. try to downgrade Xorg to something that worked.
Deinstall the nvidia driver and try a. first. Chances are high 
you will have something usable.
If that doesn't work: do b. .

Good Luck!

Uli.

> Hints on either course would be appreciated.
> 
> What happened: upgraded system from 7.1 prerelease to 7.1 release p2.
> 
> cvsupped the ports tree.  Upgraded Xorg and nvidia-driver (after upgrading
> perl and everything portupgrade -fr perl5.8 will upgrade (as the script
> failed miserably).  This was after 20090124 when the mouse problem was
> supposed to be fixed.
> 
(Continue reading)

Doug Barton | 6 Feb 20:35 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

Lars Eighner wrote:
> 
> 
> Xorg upgrade (gory details follow) went south.  I must have a working
> graphics browser by Monday.  This is pretty much *vital*, as in a matter of
> survival.
> 
> What is the fastest and/or surest way to get a platform that will run
> firefox or opera?
> 
> a. try to get my nvidia hardware to work with a generic (vesa or vga)
> driver?
> b. try to downgrade Xorg to something that worked.

c. Use the new Xorg with the included nv driver instead of the nvidia
binary driver.

I usually use the binary driver, but I recently upgraded to the new
Xorg and for a variety of reasons decided to try out the Xorg nv
driver and didn't have any problems.

FWIW, as a general course of action I find it useful to upgrade
_everything_ on the system (base, ports, etc.) first before doing the
nvidia driver, since the compiled parts are sensitive to changes in
the underlying source and headers.

Also, make sure that you have followed the instructions in
/usr/ports/UPDATING, and you might also consider clearing out
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg if it exists.

(Continue reading)

Diego Depaoli | 6 Feb 23:20 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Doug Barton <dougb <at> freebsd.org> wrote:
> c. Use the new Xorg with the included nv driver instead of the nvidia
> binary driver.
>
> I usually use the binary driver, but I recently upgraded to the new
> Xorg and for a variety of reasons decided to try out the Xorg nv
> driver and didn't have any problems.
You're lucky. On my system (nvidia 8500GT card) only vesa driver works
without issues.

> FWIW, as a general course of action I find it useful to upgrade
> _everything_ on the system (base, ports, etc.) first before doing the
> nvidia driver, since the compiled parts are sensitive to changes in
> the underlying source and headers.
Done
>
>  and you might also consider clearing out
> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg if it exists.
Undone, I'll try

Reagrds
--

-- 
Diego Depaoli
_______________________________________________
freebsd-ports <at> freebsd.org mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-ports-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

Garrett Cooper | 9 Feb 00:08 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Doug Barton <dougb <at> freebsd.org> wrote:
>> c. Use the new Xorg with the included nv driver instead of the nvidia
>> binary driver.
>>
>> I usually use the binary driver, but I recently upgraded to the new
>> Xorg and for a variety of reasons decided to try out the Xorg nv
>> driver and didn't have any problems.
> You're lucky. On my system (nvidia 8500GT card) only vesa driver works
> without issues.
>
>> FWIW, as a general course of action I find it useful to upgrade
>> _everything_ on the system (base, ports, etc.) first before doing the
>> nvidia driver, since the compiled parts are sensitive to changes in
>> the underlying source and headers.
> Done
>>
>>  and you might also consider clearing out
>> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg if it exists.
> Undone, I'll try

    I updated nvidia-driver to the latest version, and submitted a
patch, but ran into issues with graphics/mesa-demos (until recently
when someone fixed the build CFLAGS -- rnoland?).
    It's MUCH better than the current ports version. They fixed a
driver regression, so my displays no longer seize up with high CPU
usage while compiling and no longer freeze after playing movies with
mplayer.
    I have an 8800GTS with dual Xinerama setup connected to 2
monitors, one running at 1920x1600 and the other monitor at 1680x1050.
(Continue reading)

Diego Depaoli | 9 Feb 01:38 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>    I updated nvidia-driver to the latest version, and submitted a
> patch, but ran into issues with graphics/mesa-demos (until recently
> when someone fixed the build CFLAGS -- rnoland?).

patch your Makefile patch  to allow build on -current

 <at>  <at>  -87,6 +87,10  <at>  <at> 
 	${REINPLACE_CMD} -e \
 		's/suser(CURTHREAD)/priv_check(CURTHREAD, PRIV_DRIVER)/' \
 			${WRKSRC}/src/nvidia_os.c
+	${REINPLACE_CMD} -e \
+		's/minor(/dev2unit(/g' \
+			${WRKSRC}/src/nvidia_dev.c \
+			${WRKSRC}/src/nvidia_subr.c

worked for me

>    It's MUCH better than the current ports version. They fixed a
> driver regression, so my displays no longer seize up with high CPU
> usage while compiling and no longer freeze after playing movies with
> mplayer.
Looks like you're right, but I need more testing time.

Regards

--

-- 
Diego Depaoli

(Continue reading)

Garrett Cooper | 15 Feb 09:17 2009
Picon

Re: Xorg disaster

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 4:38 PM, Diego Depaoli <trebestie <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:08 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>    I updated nvidia-driver to the latest version, and submitted a
>> patch, but ran into issues with graphics/mesa-demos (until recently
>> when someone fixed the build CFLAGS -- rnoland?).
>
> patch your Makefile patch  to allow build on -current
>
>  <at>  <at>  -87,6 +87,10  <at>  <at> 
>        ${REINPLACE_CMD} -e \
>                's/suser(CURTHREAD)/priv_check(CURTHREAD, PRIV_DRIVER)/' \
>                        ${WRKSRC}/src/nvidia_os.c
> +       ${REINPLACE_CMD} -e \
> +               's/minor(/dev2unit(/g' \
> +                       ${WRKSRC}/src/nvidia_dev.c \
> +                       ${WRKSRC}/src/nvidia_subr.c
>
> worked for me
>
>>    It's MUCH better than the current ports version. They fixed a
>> driver regression, so my displays no longer seize up with high CPU
>> usage while compiling and no longer freeze after playing movies with
>> mplayer.
> Looks like you're right, but I need more testing time.

After rebuilding my kernel I see what you mean. That wasn't the case
when I originally posted the patch, so someone changed some API's...
-Garrett
_______________________________________________
(Continue reading)


Gmane