Claude Buisson | 25 Oct 12:15 2011
Picon

can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

Hi,

When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.

It seems that I am not the only one having this kind of problem, as I found (for
example) this message on questions <at>  (for releng9):

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-October/234737.html

Is this a known problem ? Is somebody working on it ?

Thanks,

Claude Buisson

Daniel O'Connor | 25 Oct 12:52 2011
Picon

Re: can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

On 25/10/2011, at 20:45, Claude Buisson wrote:
> When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
> ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
> atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.
>
> It seems that I am not the only one having this kind of problem, as I found (for
> example) this message on questions <at>  (for releng9):
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-October/234737.html
>
> Is this a known problem ? Is somebody working on it ?

Have you tried pointing VLC at /dev/cd0 when using ATA_CAM?

It may be trying old style ATA ioctls based on the device name.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Claude Buisson | 25 Oct 13:18 2011

On 10/25/2011 12:52, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 25/10/2011, at 20:45, Claude Buisson wrote:
>> When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
>> ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
>> atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.
>>
>> It seems that I am not the only one having this kind of problem, as I found (for
>> example) this message on questions <at>  (for releng9):
>>
>> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-October/234737.html
>>
>> Is this a known problem ? Is somebody working on it ?
>
> Have you tried pointing VLC at /dev/cd0 when using ATA_CAM?

Of course yes ! (I even configured WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/cd1 when building VLC)

> It may be trying old style ATA ioctls based on the device name.

VLC recognize the tracks and jump quickly from one to the following, without
playing it, and with a flow of messages:

[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn

where the sector number is incremented, and then emit (2 times if I remenber):

(Continue reading)

Jeremy Chadwick | 25 Oct 14:54 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 01:18:47PM +0200, Claude Buisson wrote:
> On 10/25/2011 12:52, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> >
> >On 25/10/2011, at 20:45, Claude Buisson wrote:
> >>When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
> >>ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
> >>atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.
> >>
> >>It seems that I am not the only one having this kind of problem, as I found (for
> >>example) this message on questions <at>  (for releng9):
> >>
> >>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2011-October/234737.html
> >>
> >>Is this a known problem ? Is somebody working on it ?
> >
> >Have you tried pointing VLC at /dev/cd0 when using ATA_CAM?
> >

> Of course yes ! (I even configured WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/cd1 when building VLC)
>

> >It may be trying old style ATA ioctls based on the device name.
> >

> VLC recognize the tracks and jump quickly from one to the following, without
> playing it, and with a flow of messages:
>
> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn

(Continue reading)

Daniel O'Connor | 25 Oct 15:08 2011

On 25/10/2011, at 23:24, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> These may not be the same problem, but I think they are related (a not so well
>> documented change in the kerm interface).
>
> You want atapicam(4).  This is not the same thing as "options ATA_CAM".
> See /sys/conf/NOTES.
>
> Whether or not it works with audio CDs is unknown to me.

atapicam is a bridge for the old ATA code to put ATAPI devices _only_ on CAM (as well as the ATA
infrastructure). Hence they appear as /dev/cd0 and so on.

ATA_CAM puts _all_ ATA devices on CAM, so you should be able to access your audio CD that way.

I just tried and it ripped a CD fine using cdparanoia and cdcontrol seemed to play it OK (although I don't have
the analogue output of this drive hooked up to the audio system).

This is not to say that there isn't a bug in the ATA_CAM code :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Claude Buisson | 25 Oct 17:01 2011

On 10/25/2011 15:08, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 25/10/2011, at 23:24, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>> These may not be the same problem, but I think they are related (a not so well
>>> documented change in the kerm interface).
>>
>> You want atapicam(4).  This is not the same thing as "options ATA_CAM".
>> See /sys/conf/NOTES.
>>
>> Whether or not it works with audio CDs is unknown to me.
>
> atapicam is a bridge for the old ATA code to put ATAPI devices _only_ on CAM (as well as the ATA
infrastructure). Hence they appear as /dev/cd0 and so on.

As I said: I know it (after 16 years of FreeBSD use ...)

> ATA_CAM puts _all_ ATA devices on CAM, so you should be able to access your audio CD that way.
>
> I just tried and it ripped a CD fine using cdparanoia and cdcontrol seemed to play it OK (although I don't
have the analogue output of this drive hooked up to the audio system).

I just played a CD with cdcontrol on a ATA_CAMed 9.0 system from Sept 25 (hooked
to the audio), but do not know what is proven that way: VLC see the tracks of
the audio CD and may even identifiy them with cddb, but cannot play them (see
the error messages). So my current conclusion (?) is that the problem lies with
the userland librairies (cdda, ..)

> This is not to say that there isn't a bug in the ATA_CAM code :)
(Continue reading)

Conrad J. Sabatier | 1 Nov 02:39 2011

Re: can audio CDs be played with ATA_CAM ?

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:01:29 +0200
Claude Buisson <clbuisson <at> orange.fr> wrote:

> I will do another test on 9.0 (after rebuilding the ports), and
> eventually get rid of ATA_CAM and wait (im)patiently for a
> knowledgeable one to have a look at the problem. If this is a real
> problem, I may hope that it will appear after the release of 9.0 and
> its use in the real world.

I just updated my sources, removed ATA_CAM and added atapicam to my
kernel config, and see no difference in behavior.

All of the CD-playing apps are still failing to work properly.  Some
slight improvement, in that most of them are now at least recognizing an
audio CD in the tray, but they still won't play it.

Conrad J. Sabatier
conrads <at> cox.net

Claude Buisson | 25 Oct 15:18 2011

On 10/25/2011 14:54, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 01:18:47PM +0200, Claude Buisson wrote:

>>> Have you tried pointing VLC at /dev/cd0 when using ATA_CAM?
>>>

>> Of course yes ! (I even configured WITH_CDROM_DEVICE=/dev/cd1 when building VLC)
>>

>>> It may be trying old style ATA ioctls based on the device name.
>>>

>> VLC recognize the tracks and jump quickly from one to the following, without
>> playing it, and with a flow of messages:
>>
>> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
>> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn
(Continue reading)

Craig Rodrigues | 26 Oct 03:28 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Claude Buisson <clbuisson <at> orange.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
> ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
> atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.

Hi,

Would vlc have worked if, while ATA_CAM was enabled,
there was a symlink so that /dev/acd0 -> cd0 ?

Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc <at> crodrigues.org

Claude Buisson | 26 Oct 10:33 2011

On 10/26/2011 03:28, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Claude Buisson<clbuisson <at> orange.fr>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When upgrading a system to 8.2-STABLE, I switched my kernel from atapicam to
>> ATA_CAM, and found that vlc could not play audio CDs anymore. Reverting to
>> atapicam (and reverting from cdN to acdN of course), vlc was OK again.
>
> Hi,
>
> Would vlc have worked if, while ATA_CAM was enabled,
> there was a symlink so that /dev/acd0 ->  cd0 ?

Just to be sure, I just made the test, and the answer is: NO

I have already written that vlc writes a susccession of messages

[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn

incrementing each time the sector number.

So I infer that vlc cannot set the correct (audio specific) sector size for the
cam device.

Thanks for your attention.

Claude Buisson

P.S. As I can see reading GENERIC, ATA_CAM will be the default for 9.X so there
(Continue reading)

Daniel O'Connor | 26 Oct 11:22 2011

On 26/10/2011, at 19:03, Claude Buisson wrote:

> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn
>
> incrementing each time the sector number.
>
> So I infer that vlc cannot set the correct (audio specific) sector size for the
> cam device.
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> Claude Buisson
>
> P.S. As I can see reading GENERIC, ATA_CAM will be the default for 9.X so there
> is a risk of complaints from FreeBSD workstation users (who cares ?) after the
> release..

Does cdparanoia work for you?

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Claude Buisson | 26 Oct 12:20 2011

On 10/26/2011 11:22, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 26/10/2011, at 19:03, Claude Buisson wrote:
>>
>> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
>> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: cannot read sector nnnnn
>>
>> incrementing each time the sector number.
>>
>> So I infer that vlc cannot set the correct (audio specific) sector size for the
>> cam device.
>>
>> Thanks for your attention.
>>
>> Claude Buisson
>>
>> P.S. As I can see reading GENERIC, ATA_CAM will be the default for 9.X so there
>> is a risk of complaints from FreeBSD workstation users (who cares ?) after the
>> release..
>

> Does cdparanoia work for you?

With cdparanoia-3.9.8_9: YES

tested on 8.2 (from Sep 18) and 9.0 (from Sep 25) both with ATA_CAM

Claude Buisson

Daniel O'Connor | 26 Oct 13:50 2011

On 26/10/2011, at 20:50, Claude Buisson wrote:
>>> P.S. As I can see reading GENERIC, ATA_CAM will be the default for 9.X so there
>>> is a risk of complaints from FreeBSD workstation users (who cares ?) after the
>>> release..
>>

>> Does cdparanoia work for you?
>>

> With cdparanoia-3.9.8_9: YES
>
> tested on 8.2 (from Sep 18) and 9.0 (from Sep 25) both with ATA_CAM

Strange, I would have thought VLC would use the same sort of access method as VLC..

I don't know what it's trying so it's hard to know why it doesn't work :(

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum

Claude Buisson | 26 Oct 18:57 2011

On 10/26/2011 13:50, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

>>> Does cdparanoia work for you?
>>>

>> With cdparanoia-3.9.8_9: YES
>>
>> tested on 8.2 (from Sep 18) and 9.0 (from Sep 25) both with ATA_CAM
>

> Strange, I would have thought VLC would use the same sort of access method as VLC..
>
> I don't know what it's trying so it's hard to know why it doesn't work :(

Doing my home work step by step:

I found only 1 place in VLC where the first message:

[0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size

is emitted, after an:

ioctl( p_vcddev->i_device_handle, CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE, &i_size )

(Continue reading)

Craig Rodrigues | 26 Oct 21:37 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Claude Buisson <clbuisson <at> orange.fr> wrote:

> Doing my home work step by step:
>
> I found only 1 place in VLC where the first message:
>
> [0x2caf2a3c] cdda access error: Could not set block size
>
> is emitted, after an:
>
> ioctl( p_vcddev->i_device_handle, CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE, &i_size )
>
> CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE is defined in sys/cdrio.h, and in the kernel used in:
>
> sys/dev/ata/atapi-cd.c
>
> which is a brought into the kernel by:
>
> device atapicd
>
> So the natural question is:
>
> Is this ioctl supported with ATA_CAM (and atapicam) ?
>
> If not, what is to be used instead ?

Claude,

Thanks for digging into this a bit.