David Chisnall | 30 May 20:20 2012
Picon

Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Hi Everyone,

This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending it to this list in the hope that it will
reach a largish number of users.

I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which advertises exciting new features
like SMP support), and before I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If
you had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when
you first started using it?

David_______________________________________________
freebsd-stable <at> freebsd.org mailing list
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-stable-unsubscribe <at> freebsd.org"

David Chisnall | 31 May 10:58 2012
Picon

Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

Thanks to all who replied, both on and off list.  I've attempted to distill the replies that I got into a
coherent summary.  I've put the draft on the wiki here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyUseFreeBSD

Feedback welcome!

David

On 30 May 2012, at 19:20, David Chisnall wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending it to this list in the hope that it
will reach a largish number of users.

> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which advertises exciting new features
like SMP support), and before I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If
you had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when
you first started using it?

> David

Matthew Seaman | 31 May 11:59 2012
Picon

Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

On 31/05/2012 09:58, David Chisnall wrote:

> http://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyUseFreeBSD

> I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material
> (which advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before
> I do I'd like to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using
> FreeBSD.  If you had to list the three things you most like about
> FreeBSD, which would you pick?  Are they the same as when you first
> started using it?

Heh.  My original reason for ever trying out FreeBSD was that I could
install it by downloading only one floppy-disk image.  I'll bet that
dates me.

Anyhow, one point about the ports you don't mention but which I think is
a real win, and a real distinguishing feature is the marvellous
flexibility it allows.

For instance: ever tried to install memcached on various linuxen?  When
you specifically want memcached-1.4 with the repcached patches?  Not
easy.  It's just an OPTION setting in ports.  Easy.

I've seen it said by very competent admins that "if you're running
software package X as the primary engine of your business then you
really should be compiling it yourself from source with your own
configuration choices rather than relying on the packages supplied with
your distro."  Which is quite true.  Except, with the ports, you can not
only do that, but you don't have to give up on the benefits of using the
OS packaging system.
(Continue reading)

Allen | 16 Jun 00:28 2012

Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

On 5/31/2012 4:58 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied, both on and off list.  I've attempted to
> distill the replies that I got into a coherent summary.  I've put the
> draft on the wiki here:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyUseFreeBSD
>
> Feedback welcome!

I thought it was nice :) I personally have liked the way that both
FreeBSD and Slackware Linux have handled the Advocacy of the OS compared
to some others. Not sure why, I just do.

But it's nice to have this as well, because it's one thing to wear a
FreeBSD tee shirt under a FreeBSD hoodie while wearing FreeBSD Boxers
and using a Laptop covered in BSD stickers (Yea, I've done this), but
it's probably easiest when someone asks why you use it, to simply say
"Well, read this and see if you'd like it too, and it's free so you
don't have to pay if you don't want to, and you can install it very
easily, and configure every single aspect of it"

I think we all have our reasons that we use it, and it's nice to see
them kind of distilled into one place where you can send someone to
look, or, just see what other people are using it with, and why, and
what for, and maybe even get new ideas of your own.

For whatever it's worth; GREAT job!

-Allen / gore

Jozef Baum | 16 Jun 04:55 2012
Picon

AW: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

I prefer FreeBSD for 4 reasons:

- FreeBSD has true Unix roots, it's not just a new implementation of Unix,
like Linux.
- FreeBSD is a complete operating system, not just a kernel with third party
utilities, like Linux.
- FreeBSD has a development concept which guarantees a much more homogeneous
quality of the overall system than Linux.
- FreeBSD has a license agreement which offers much more freedom than the
GPL, which applies to Linux.

However, there is much more documentatíon availabe to start with Linux than
with FreeBSD.

The problem of FreeBSD is not its technical quality, but the complete lack
of any efficient marketing.

FreeBSD people seem to think that, because FreeBSD is a superior product,
people will use it. However, society doesn't work this way.

FreeBSD has to convince users of its benefits they can appreciate (not
extremely technical onces), and to make the transition to FreeBSD as easy
and smooth as possible for them.

This is definitely not something that can be done by people with a sticker
"Intel inside" on their back, and who take it for granted that newcomers to
FreeBSD know UNIX.

At present, FreeBSD positions itself as a system to which Linux user can
switch.
(Continue reading)

Julian H. Stacey | 16 Jun 16:33 2012

Re: AW: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

> FreeBSD should position itself as the best product for newcomers to the
> UNIX-world.

No. It could damage FreeBSD.  At present we largely just need to
educate newcomers from eg Linux etc (who already know some Unix),

We don't need to be swamped with noise from lots of clueless Microsoft
zeroes, who don't / can't / won't think & will not read manuals, &
won't even in desperation occasionaly look at source code for a clue.

Clueless mouse clicking, lazy loosers are served (*) by Microsoft.
(* `Served': As cows are, by a bull ;-)

Cheers,
Julian

Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".
 Format: Plain text. Not HTML, multipart/alternative, base64, quoted-printable.
	Mail from  <at> yahoo dumped  <at> berklix.  http://berklix.org/yahoo/

Frank Mitchell | 17 Jun 13:30 2012
Picon

Using FreeBSD - Or Debian kFreeBSD

Hi:

I started using FreeBSD because I wanted to develop an independent CD/DVD
Writing utility. FreeBSD had its ATAPI Interface sorted when Linux was still
struggling with the old IDE-SCSI Driver. So I got started using FreeBSD, and
developed "Spiegel" (the thing with the Wildebeest License, which you'll find
on the Web) and a couple of other utilities. But then the FreeBSD Interface
changed and my programs crashed for reasons which I couldn't understand.
Meanwhile Linux got their SG Interface sorted, so I switched to Linux, which
then worked better anyway.

Another point which may be relevant: I like trying different Unix flavours,
so my habit is always to install new versions from scratch, never upgrading.
As a FreeBSD Desktop User I get problems which don't seem to bother other
people, and this could be the reason why. Possibly Debian kFreeBSD will
resolve these issues when it reaches Production form.

Yours truly: Frank Mitchell

On Saturday 16 June 2012 03:55:19 Jozef Baum wrote:
> I prefer FreeBSD for 4 reasons:
>
> - FreeBSD has true Unix roots, it's not just a new implementation of Unix,
> like Linux.
> - FreeBSD is a complete operating system, not just a kernel with third
> party utilities, like Linux.
> - FreeBSD has a development concept which guarantees a much more
> homogeneous quality of the overall system than Linux.
> - FreeBSD has a license agreement which offers much more freedom than the
> GPL, which applies to Linux.
(Continue reading)

Vitaly Magerya | 31 May 15:32 2012
Picon

Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

David Chisnall wrote:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyUseFreeBSD
>
> Feedback welcome!

Quote:
> The RCng system that reads this file [rc.conf] understands
> dependencies between services and so can automatically launch
> them in parallel [...]

Can it? There have been patches in the lists, was one of them
committed?