Georg Schwarz | 1 Jan 20:44 2010
Picon

handling redirect download/on the fly packaging URLs?

I'm trying to add a package which needs to fetch its source (in
tar.gz format) from http://github.com/philpraxis/ss7calc/tarball/master
Of course I could add the URL to which one gets redirected, but this
is insufficent since the tarball is only created on the fly when the
download URL in requested.
What's the best way to handle this with pkgsrc?

Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
georg.schwarz <at> freenet.de  +49 151 11559652

Joerg Sonnenberger | 1 Jan 20:49 2010
Picon

Re: handling redirect download/on the fly packaging URLs?

On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 08:44:56PM +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> I'm trying to add a package which needs to fetch its source (in
> tar.gz format) from
> http://github.com/philpraxis/ss7calc/tarball/master
> Of course I could add the URL to which one gets redirected, but this
> is insufficent since the tarball is only created on the fly when the
> download URL in requested.
> What's the best way to handle this with pkgsrc?

Generally, unreleased stuff should be avoided. If that is not possible,
create a tarball and put it in the local distfile directory on ftp.n.o.

Joerg

Iain Hibbert | 1 Jan 22:28 2010

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 01, 2010 at 08:44:56PM +0100, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> > I'm trying to add a package which needs to fetch its source (in
> > tar.gz format) from
> > http://github.com/philpraxis/ss7calc/tarball/master
> > Of course I could add the URL to which one gets redirected, but this
> > is insufficent since the tarball is only created on the fly when the
> > download URL in requested.
> > What's the best way to handle this with pkgsrc?
>
> Generally, unreleased stuff should be avoided. If that is not possible,
> create a tarball and put it in the local distfile directory on ftp.n.o.

alternatively in pkgsrc-wip there is a set of mk/xxx-package.mk files for
inclusion that handle importing directly from cvs, hg & svn repositories -
there is not one for git but perhaps one could be made there and a wip
package could be made for ss7calc which would provide ease of building
'latest' versions inside the pkgsrc framework.

see pkgsrc-wip.sourceforge.net for a starter..

regards,
iain

Eric Schnoebelen | 2 Jan 17:53 2010

Iain Hibbert writes:
- alternatively in pkgsrc-wip there is a set of mk/xxx-package.mk files for
- inclusion that handle importing directly from cvs, hg & svn repositories -
- there is not one for git but perhaps one could be made there and a wip
- package could be made for ss7calc which would provide ease of building
- 'latest' versions inside the pkgsrc framework.

Actually, I have checked in a git-package.mk in pkgsrc-wip.
It's not very advanced (it does no cacheing, for example), but
it works for the wip/spectrum package I needed it for.

--
Eric Schnoebelen		eric <at> cirr.com		http://www.cirr.com
"The UNIX PC 3B1: 75% of the power of a VAX-11/780" - Technology Resource Ctr

OBATA Akio | 2 Jan 03:03 2010

On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 04:44:56 +0900, Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz <at> freenet.de> wrote:

> I'm trying to add a package which needs to fetch its source (in
> tar.gz format) from http://github.com/philpraxis/ss7calc/tarball/master
> Of course I could add the URL to which one gets redirected, but this
> is insufficent since the tarball is only created on the fly when the
> download URL in requested.
> What's the best way to handle this with pkgsrc?

"master" should not be used in pkgsrc main tree (probaby OK on pkgsrc-wip).
How about waiting for TAG, or based on commit ID?
For example, define MASTER_SITES as following (see prefix `-'), and define DISTNAME as you like.

MASTER_SITES=-http://github.com/philpraxis/ss7calc/archives/468e1ffb6860d63fbab9523d6dbc55935913a0bc

"Of course I love NetBSD":-)
OBATA Akio / obache <at> NetBSD.org

Gmane