Izumi Tsutsui | 22 Jan 16:32 2008
Picon

updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)

> I build a restore cd using Izumis scripts from:
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/cobalt/

Just FYI, I've updated restorecd script for 4.0
(and remove obsolete 4.0_RC4 iso image):
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/cobalt/restorecd-20080121.tar.gz

See README and CHANGES files for details:

New Features:
-------------

 - 4.0 release kernel and userland
 - newfs_ext2fs(8) binary backported from -current instead of Linux mke2fs

Fixes:
------

 - update README for 4.0
 - paneld binaries recompiled on 4.0 environment
 - patched fdisk(8) binary to avoid "Trace/BPT trap" failure
 - add symlinks to CHANGES and instructions.txt

---
Izumi Tsutsui

Sevan / Venture37 | 23 Jan 20:08 2008
Picon

RE: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)


>> I build a restore cd using Izumis scripts from:
>> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/cobalt/
> 
> Just FYI, I've updated restorecd script for 4.0
> (and remove obsolete 4.0_RC4 iso image):
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/tsutsui/cobalt/restorecd-20080121.tar.gz

I've built a new restore CD using the script mentioned above
http://www.geeklan.co.uk/?p=101
http://homepage.mac.com/venture37/.Public/GeekLAN/cobalt_restorecd-40-mk2.tgz

Izumi, there are a couple of minor errors in this revision
In the README file you still reference 4.0 RC4 in the paths for fetching the sources
& in section 3
% tar -C data/cobalt/usr/pkg -zxf download/e2fsprogs-1.32.tgz sbin/mke2fs

usr/pkg doesn't exists in data/cobalt

Apart from that everything is a-ok

Sevan / Venture37
_________________________________________________________________
Who's friends with who and co-starred in what?
http://www.searchgamesbox.com/celebrityseparation.shtml
Izumi Tsutsui | 24 Jan 16:00 2008
Picon

Re: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)

venture37 <at> hotmail.com wrote:

> Izumi, there are a couple of minor errors in this revision
> In the README file you still reference 4.0 RC4 in the paths for fetching the sources
> & in section 3
> % tar -C data/cobalt/usr/pkg -zxf download/e2fsprogs-1.32.tgz sbin/mke2fs
> 
> usr/pkg doesn't exists in data/cobalt

Hmm, I think I've updated README too, and mke2fs is no longer used.
Aren't you referring README in an old tar.gz archive?

> Apart from that everything is a-ok

Thanks for testing!
---
Izumi Tsutsui

Sevan / Venture37 | 25 Jan 01:12 2008
Picon

RE: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)


----------------------------------------
> To: venture37 <at> hotmail.com
> CC: port-cobalt <at> NetBSD.org; hubert <at> feyrer.de; tsutsui <at> ceres.dti.ne.jp
> Subject: Re: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)
> From: tsutsui <at> ceres.dti.ne.jp
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:00:44 +0900
> 
> venture37 <at> hotmail.com wrote:
> 
>> Izumi, there are a couple of minor errors in this revision
>> In the README file you still reference 4.0 RC4 in the paths for fetching the sources
>> & in section 3
>> % tar -C data/cobalt/usr/pkg -zxf download/e2fsprogs-1.32.tgz sbin/mke2fs
>> 
>> usr/pkg doesn't exists in data/cobalt
> 
> Hmm, I think I've updated README too, and mke2fs is no longer used.
> Aren't you referring README in an old tar.gz archive?
> 
>> Apart from that everything is a-ok
> 
> Thanks for testing!

You're absolutely right, I've rebuilt & re-uploaded a copy of the restore CD , if anyone downloaded a copy of
this image yesterday please redownload it.

Sevan / Venture37
_________________________________________________________________
Telly addicts unite!
(Continue reading)

Glyn Astill | 30 Jan 11:34 2008
Picon

RE: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)

Hi chaps,

I tried the restore CD last night and it seems to work great. I've
not got around to setting up anything other than the os yet but first
impressions are good.

One thing that did stump me for a second is that I couldn't netboot
when I used the CD in my usual machine that has a VIA network card, I
put it in my laptop that has an Intel network card and it was fine.

I vaguely remember it being the other way around when I used somebody
elses 3.99.17 restore CD. Is it something to do with the machine it's
compiled on?

Cheers
Glyn
--- Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 <at> hotmail.com> wrote:

> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------
> > To: venture37 <at> hotmail.com
> > CC: port-cobalt <at> NetBSD.org; hubert <at> feyrer.de;
> tsutsui <at> ceres.dti.ne.jp
> > Subject: Re: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD
> for Cobalt)
> > From: tsutsui <at> ceres.dti.ne.jp
> > Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:00:44 +0900
> > 
> > venture37 <at> hotmail.com wrote:
(Continue reading)

Sevan / Venture37 | 30 Jan 13:12 2008
Picon

RE: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)


> Hi chaps,
> 
> I tried the restore CD last night and it seems to work great. I've
> not got around to setting up anything other than the os yet but first
> impressions are good.
> 
> One thing that did stump me for a second is that I couldn't netboot
> when I used the CD in my usual machine that has a VIA network card, I
> put it in my laptop that has an Intel network card and it was fine.
> 
> I vaguely remember it being the other way around when I used somebody
> elses 3.99.17 restore CD. Is it something to do with the machine it's
> compiled on?
> 
> Cheers
> Glyn

try the original 4.0 restore cd, do you still have the same problem?
http://homepage.mac.com/venture37/.Public/GeekLAN/cobalt_restorecd-40.tgz
_________________________________________________________________
Free games, great prizes - get gaming at Gamesbox. 
http://www.searchgamesbox.com
Izumi Tsutsui | 30 Jan 14:08 2008
Picon

Re: updated restorecd script (Re: NetBSD 4.0 Restore CD for Cobalt)

> One thing that did stump me for a second is that I couldn't netboot
> when I used the CD in my usual machine that has a VIA network card, I
> put it in my laptop that has an Intel network card and it was fine.

Maybe you could see how your VIA one was probed (or not)
on your server. (login as root and see dmesg(8))

If the machine has more than one interfaces, the first probed one
is used implicitly. In that case you could disable unwanted
ones by userconf(4) on boot(8) on server's bootloader.
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?boot++NetBSD-4.0
http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?userconf++NetBSD-4.0

I also saw that restorecd sometimes failed when cobalt was
powered up before i386 server was ready (i.e. at login prompt).
I have not tracked what happened in that case, but rebooting
the server might solve it.

Note I'm afraid that the newer bootloader (which is also
used to netboot) might has a problem with 10baseT networks.
---
Izumi Tsutsui

David Albert | 3 Feb 23:18 2008
Picon
Picon

Shutdown does not finish output on LCD

When shutting down a Qube2 or Raq2 running 4.0 GENERIC,
the serial port shows shutdown properly:

    *** FINAL System shutdown message from root <at>  ***
    System going down IMMEDIATELY

    Dec 16 13:31:51 shutdown: halt by root:
    Dec 16 13:31:51  shutdown: halt by root:
    Dec 16 13:32:00  syslogd: Exiting on signal 15
    syncing disks... done
    unmounting file systems... done

    The operating system has halted.
    Please press any key to reboot.

However the last thing shown on the LCD panel is:

    [Shutting down]
       > swap1

This makes it hard to know when it is save to turn
off power unless you have a serial console connected.

Izumi Tsutsui | 4 Feb 15:15 2008
Picon

Re: Shutdown does not finish output on LCD

david_albert <at> comcast.net wrote:

> However the last thing shown on the LCD panel is:
> 
>     [Shutting down]
>        > swap1
> 
> This makes it hard to know when it is save to turn
> off power unless you have a serial console connected.

Then, what is your expected behaivor?

Does the attached patch help?
---
Izumi Tsutsui

Index: dev/panel.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/src/sys/arch/cobalt/dev/panel.c,v
retrieving revision 1.10
diff -u -r1.10 panel.c
--- dev/panel.c	6 Apr 2006 11:50:19 -0000	1.10
+++ dev/panel.c	4 Feb 2008 14:14:33 -0000
 <at>  <at>  -55,6 +55,9  <at>  <at> 
 #define PANEL_POLLRATE	(hz / 10)
 #define PANEL_REGION	0x20
 #define DATA_OFFSET	0x10
+#define PANEL_COLS	16
+#define PANEL_VCOLS	40
+#define PANEL_ROWS	2
(Continue reading)

David Albert | 8 Feb 20:32 2008
Picon
Picon

Apache does not configure on 4.0

When I try ./configure for apache 2.2.8 I get the following:

    checking for chosen layout... Apache
    checking for working mkdir -p... yes
    checking build system type... mipsel-unknown-netbsd4.0
    checking host system type... mipsel-unknown-netbsd4.0
    checking target system type... mipsel-unknown-netbsd4.0

    Configuring Apache Portable Runtime library ...

    checking for APR... sed: "./srclib/apr/include/apr_version.h": No 
such file or directory
    configure: error: failed to find major version of bundled APR

Has anyone succeeded in getting apache running on NetBSD/cobalt 4.0?
If so, can you provide details on what you did?  Thank you!

Izumi Tsutsui | 14 Feb 14:14 2008
Picon

Re: Apache does not configure on 4.0

david_albert <at> comcast.net wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in getting apache running on NetBSD/cobalt 4.0?

Maybe it's easier to use pkgsrc/www/apatche22:
http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/software/packages.html
http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/pkgsrc/
http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/pkgsrc/getting.html#getting-first
http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/pkgsrc/using.html#building-packages-from-source

I'm afraid there is no precompiled binaries for 4.0 mips ports though.
---
Izumi Tsutsui

Glyn Astill | 15 Feb 10:23 2008
Picon

Re: Apache does not configure on 4.0


--- Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui <at> ceres.dti.ne.jp> wrote:

> david_albert <at> comcast.net wrote:
> 
> > Has anyone succeeded in getting apache running on NetBSD/cobalt
> 4.0?
> 
> Maybe it's easier to use pkgsrc/www/apatche22:
> http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/software/packages.html
> http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/pkgsrc/
> http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/pkgsrc/getting.html#getting-first
>
http://www.NetBSD.org/docs/pkgsrc/using.html#building-packages-from-source
> 
> I'm afraid there is no precompiled binaries for 4.0 mips ports
> though.

I've not had a problem with apache2 so far.

What problems are you having?

      __________________________________________________________
Sent from Yahoo! Mail - a smarter inbox http://uk.mail.yahoo.com

Izumi Tsutsui | 2 Mar 08:35 2008
Picon

LCD messages on boot/shutdown (Re: Shutdown does not finish output on LCD)

I wrote:

If there is no objection, I'd also like to commit this patch
(which shows "NetBSD/cobalt Startuping up..." on boot and
 "NetBSD/cobalt Shutting down..." on shutdown to the LCD panel)
soon.

This might be useful for people who don't have serial console.
---
Izumi Tsutsui

> david_albert <at> comcast.net wrote:
> 
> > However the last thing shown on the LCD panel is:
> > 
> >     [Shutting down]
> >        > swap1
> > 
> > This makes it hard to know when it is save to turn
> > off power unless you have a serial console connected.
> 
> Then, what is your expected behaivor?
> 
> Does the attached patch help?
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui
> 
> 
> Index: dev/panel.c
> ===================================================================
(Continue reading)

Izumi Tsutsui | 2 Mar 12:40 2008
Picon

Re: LCD messages on boot/shutdown (Re: Shutdown does not finish outputon LCD)

I wrote:
> If there is no objection, I'd also like to commit this patch
> (which shows "NetBSD/cobalt Startuping up..." on boot and
>  "NetBSD/cobalt Shutting down..." on shutdown to the LCD panel)
> soon.

I've changed code a bit for readability:
---
Index: dev/panel.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/src/sys/arch/cobalt/dev/panel.c,v
retrieving revision 1.14
diff -u -r1.14 panel.c
--- dev/panel.c	17 Oct 2007 19:54:08 -0000	1.14
+++ dev/panel.c	2 Mar 2008 11:35:07 -0000
 <at>  <at>  -54,6 +54,9  <at>  <at> 
 #define PANEL_POLLRATE	(hz / 10)
 #define PANEL_REGION	0x20
 #define DATA_OFFSET	0x10
+#define PANEL_COLS	16
+#define PANEL_VCOLS	40
+#define PANEL_ROWS	2

 struct panel_softc {
 	struct device sc_dev;
 <at>  <at>  -65,8 +68,22  <at>  <at> 
 	struct callout sc_callout;
 };

+struct lcd_message {
(Continue reading)

Izumi Tsutsui | 4 Mar 15:42 2008
Picon

Re: LCD messages on boot/shutdown (Re: Shutdown does not finish outputonLCD)

I wrote:

> > If there is no objection, I'd also like to commit this patch
> > (which shows "NetBSD/cobalt Startuping up..." on boot and
> >  "NetBSD/cobalt Shutting down..." on shutdown to the LCD panel)
> > soon.
> 
> I've changed code a bit for readability:
 :

I've committed this one.

I'll also send a pullup request to netbsd-4 branch later.
---
Izumi Tsutsui


Gmane