Bob Beck | 1 Nov 17:47 2012
Picon

OpenBSD 5.2 Released

- OpenBSD 5.2 RELEASED -------------------------------------------------

November 1, 2012.

We are pleased to announce the official release of OpenBSD 5.2.
This is our 32nd release on CD-ROM (and 33rd via FTP).  We remain
proud of OpenBSD's record of more than ten years with only two remote
holes in the default install.

As in our previous releases, 5.2 provides significant improvements,
including new features, in nearly all areas of the system:

 - pthreads(3) support:
   o The most significant change in this release is the replacement of the
     user-level uthreads by kernel-level rthreads, allowing multithreaded
     programs to utilize multiple CPUs/cores.
   o Use PTHREAD_MUTEX_STRICT_NP as default mutex type.
   o Added pthread spinlock and barrier routines.
   o Added pthread_mutex_timedlock(3) and sem_timedwait(3).
   o Added pthread_condattr_setclock(3).
   o Added support for live multi-threaded debugging in gdb(1).
   o Improved handling for rusage totals and interval timers in threaded
     processes.
   o Changed the RLIMIT_NPROC rlimit to count processes instead of threads.
   o Added a new system limit kern.maxthread for the max number of threads.
   o Closed race conditions in thread creation, and in fork(2) and open(2) in a
     threaded process.
   o Improved handling of threaded processes in ps(1), top(1), and fstat(1).